An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can pot be used in a good way?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by amin021023, Oct 6, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

So lets say, for someone who is depressed and lonely and is looking for some fun and a few minutes of super relax and enjoyment after a long tough day, is it okey to smoke a joint?

can pot act as a medication and recreation to improve one's productivvity during the day? the calmness that is induced by weed the day after you smoke, could it not be good?
  2. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Personally, I believe marijuana is the safest recreational drug. Of course, when used too much anything can be bad even things we typically view as good. But, I think using marijuana with moderation is okay. The same as having a few glasses of wine after a rough day or on special occasions. Most people don't think anything of having a few drinks at a party, but no one likes an alcoholic that has to stay drunk. The same goes for marijuana with me. Smoking it every now and again? No big deal. But, I can't stand a stoner who does nothing but sit on the couch 24/7 smoking pot.
  3. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It's not okay to use for an anti-depressant or any other reason. It's masking problems and it's only temporary. People need to get to the root of their problem which is their heart. The only way it can and should be used is when it's in pure oil form and used to treat illnesses and cancers.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's far safer to use marijuana (without tobacco, of course) than it is to drink your troubles away. As long as you can keep it in check and keep it as a treat rather than a regular thing.
  5. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

Well said. Anything that's addictive should be regarded with extreme caution. Anything that's addictive and used to cover up issues with the soul should be straight-up avoided, and the problem tackled directly, through counseling and a supportive community.

You could make the case that minor substances like alcohol and marijuana aren't horrible if used in moderation. I think that case is important to prevent legalism in their usage. But it takes a high degree of personal responsibility to do so.
  6. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Yep. This hits the issue on the head. You can't shelve your problems forever. Marijuana should be used medicinally and that's it. I'm of the same opinion for all habit-forming substances, drug or otherwise.

There are lots of ways to get the same calming effect without sucking smoke into your lungs. Most of them are also a hell of a lot healthier. Pot is fine if you're already ill, but otherwise? Meh. Try Yoga or something.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Pot is not recommended for someone who is depressed or lonely because it can make things worse for them. While yes, pot can make someone relaxed it does the exact opposite to others and that's one good reason why no one should want to find out what effect it will have on them.

I think that pot should be used by those people who actually need it and the patient should obtain a prescription of said from a doctor. Self-medication never does end well.
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

This is exactly how I feel. I couldn't have said it better myself.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

Yes, I agree with the other posters. Using any type of drug while depressed or stressed can make the problem bigger, because the probability of getting hooked on them to escape your problems is pretty high. I would recommend doing some Yoga, meditation, some reading, learning to play an instrument, or something of the like. In my experience, drugs can only lead to more drugs, and you already know what drugs can do to you.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well... sure, weed can calm you down for the moment and all your problems and worries may go away, but after that you're gonna start relying on it to be happy, which is definitely not good. I wouldn't use weed as a way of coping with your issues.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I get quite stressed out from time to time but I have no interest in the using weed to relax me or reduce my stress. I'd much rather read a book, watch a movie, hang out with my dogs and the list goes on.
  12. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I don't have any issues with people using marijuana. I really don't. I never saw a problem with it, so long as it's not creating any problems in their life.
  13. amin021023

You're right, there are much safer ways to reduce stress other than weed. the thing is if I had a dog, my story might have changed, but I try my best to be responsible with my body and mind.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

We always try to find the positive side of weed, why don't we research on the negative effects? We are also supposed to know why we should avoid smoking weed not only why we should smoke.
  15. aztec99

aztec99 Member

I am a musician/songwriter/recording artist. In the past I have experimented with marijuana as a means of enhancing creativity. I have also used pot in a recreational context, and to "relax". First of all, inhaling smoke and holding it in your lungs is not healthy. Secondly, it is not a good idea to use any drug for recreation. I can say with certainty that going to the beach,having sex, or writing music under the influence of marijuana is no great "enhancement". Furthermore, a frequent use of the drug will affect your motivation, and make you lazy. Another thing I noticed when I was smoking on a regular basis was that it made my feet stink! As soon as I stopped smoking pot, the foul smell went away. A natural high through exercise and healthy living is the best.
  16. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I wouldn't recommend using marijuana to someone who is lonely or depressed. I think that person should talk to someone, like a friend or a family member. Or better yet, seek professional help.
  17. amin021023

I couldn't disagree with you, you see the matter from a different angel. the thing is that weed affects people differently. by nature I'm a lazy person and always procrastinating but weed helps me focus more on my tasks and get them done.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I'm in no way condoning the use of marijuana, I do think it affects people in different ways and one person says I can't do this or that without a joint, and another person might say I do that task even better when I've had a joint.

You have to try it yourself and find out basically. Like I said I'm not saying everybody should try it, what I am saying us that nobody should really judge it, and others until they have.
  19. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

It's not as harmful as other harder drugs, and it can even have some positives to it, which is why it can be used medicinally, so yeah I do think it can have good uses. Though it should still be treated with care, as it can be addictive.
  20. layton

layton Member

I believe marijuana is the safest way to go. It is not as addictive as other drugs. I think marijuana should be used to treat depression and anxiety. Individuals who have cancer smoke marijuana to relieve their pain. So I believe it should be used for mental disorders as well.