An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can quitting alcohol cause stomach burning sensation?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Hiraeth, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

My boyfriend believes that he cannot do without alcohol on a daily basis. Be it beer, brandy or whisky, if he doesn't get a quarter a day, he says his stomach feels restless. Can alcohol consumption over many years lead to actual system changes where his stomach actually burns when he doesn't drink? Or is it purely psychological?

I've tried getting him to cut down to a quarter every two three days but to no avail. Should we consult a doctor or a counselor? His behavior shows no strong signs of an alcoholic. If anything he simply becomes more calm and mellow post drinking. What should I make of all this?
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Definitely consult a doctor. I really think that it is psychological, or perhaps his is feeling sick because of withdrawals. He's an addict and he will get sick if he is off of alcohol for a lengthy amount of time.
  3. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I agree about the advice to consult a doctor. Only a doctor can give medical advice. When anyone 'needs" a drink to reduce stomach pain, they should pay attention to the fact that their is body telling them something is not right. It is much better for you both, to get answers, and get some peace of mind, then to just guess or assume.

As far as, the cause of the pain, the bottom line is that it does not matter, if it stems from a physical or psychological ailment, a professional will be able to help answer and solve his burning stomach.
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

You'd have to consult a doctor in order to get a medically sound answer and advice. Alcohol withdrawal can have psychological effects on a person that have physical symptoms during the beginning. I'm no expert on such things, and a doctor will be able to tell you exactly what's going on. Your boyfriend obviously can't keep going on with this for an extended period of time, and help sounds like it's necessary.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This might be psychological but it might also be a physical problem. As mentioned above, if he is getting burning sensations in his stomach, then that is his body telling him that something is not quite right... and I seriously doubt that alcohol is the answer - it probably just numbs the pain but could very well be the cause of it. It's not unusual for heavy drinkers, alcoholics, etc to develop stomach ulcers (some of which can be fatal). He really needs to see a doctor.
  6. Hiraeth

This is what I'm fearing too. I've had my doubts pinned on stomach ulcers for a while now and have asked him to get it checked countless times. He dismisses me every time saying that I'm worrying for nothing and it's just indigestion or something. He acts and speaks so soberly that I cannot help but take his words for truth. He never shows any signs of an alcoholic. None of the stomach bloating, puffy eyes and face, etc that you'd associate with a regular drinker. But I should push him to visit a doctor soon, otherwise it's getting bad for the both of us.
  7. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

No such thing. If were susceptible to hyperacidity, the alcohol would trigger it in the first place. Probably psychological. When I was an alcoholic, I believed that I would get indigestion if I didn't drink after meals. I believed that alcohol helped dissolved the oils and foods in my body. Go figure.
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well, I was also an alcoholic, but I didn't get stomach burns. And maybe he has that feeling because alcohol helps digestion, and he got used to drinking it daily and now he feels "normal" after eating something. But I may be wrong. Better consult a doctor in this situation.
  9. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

It sounds to me like he's a functioning alcoholic & has reached the point where the alcohol is balancing a lot in his body out. He's created a situation where in order to normally function he needs a certain amount of his 'medicine'. That's absolutely problematic in the body & would not surprise me if it's causing sensations he would find otherwise troubling. It should be troubling to him that his body cannot function properly without the addition of a substance of any sort. This needs to be carefully regulated until his body can function without it. Good luck.
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Could be either psychological or physical... I've personally never heard of people getting any burning sensation upon not consuming alcohol for a certain time span, but anything can be possible; it varies from person to person.
    Are you sure that this isn't probably caused by withdrawal? I mean, when I stopped smoking, I would get a lot of unpleasant feelings in my body, but every single one of them was in fact only a product of my mind. It could be the same in your boyfriend's case, you never know.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Your boyfriend's symptoms can be caused by a number of different things. I think that the best way would be to look into and start working on alleviating those symptoms and finding the root cause for it. Generally, in my experience, if you have a sensitive stomach, alcohol will only aggravate it more. So, perhaps there is some psychological pattern behind it all as well.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm willing to bet that this restless and nauseous feeling is caused by anxiety and/or withdrawal, nothing else. So you can see that it's a vicious circle. He drinks to calm the feeling in his stomach which is ultimately caused by...drinking!

He needs to break this cycle. However, the only way he stands any chance of being able to do this is if he wants to do it. Just because his behaviour isn't a problem, it doesn't mean that he isn't an alcoholic. If you rely on drink to get you through the day then you're an alcoholic, regardless of whether you''re a nice person or whether you always manage to turn up for work on time or whatever. The first step to revovery is acceptance.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think quitting alcohol can lead to a number of different symptoms and will have a lot of negative effects on your body. I'm not saying the stomach pains are a direct effect but it wouldnt surprise me if it was. Stomach pains can be caused by quite a few various things aswell though so i'd be tempted to get checked out by a GP if the problem carries on or gets any worse.

Alcohol effects both the mind and the body when your drinking it and it certainly does the same when your trying to come off it aswell in my opinion.
  14. Hiraeth

That sounds very dangerous... Yes he has been off alcohol for about 10 days now, well almost. He drank a peg or two of brandy with a friend a few days back, but besides that, he's been off it for now. I believe it is more psychological that is bringing into existence the physical by sheer force of intention. As of now he's been taking digestive pills to get past the stomach uneasiness, mostly I tell him to just ignore them. If the discomfort persists for long I will take him to a doctor.

Thank you so much for all your advice. They were more than appreciated :)
  15. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

I'm a regular drinker, not a heavy not, but a regular one and one time I went on a trip, stood about 1 or 2 weeks and didn't get to have any alcohol. At that time, I didn't have any burning sensations in my stomach. You should really consult a doctor by this manner, they know better than any of us!
  16. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

If either the medical doctor or the counselor prescribe medication, instead of explaining why, he must look somewhere else for answers to his alcohol problems (if he's willing). Or research it himself, with your help. Seek the homely environment of a compassionate rehab community where they will provide help and genuine care.