An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can recovering alcoholics have a drink occasionally?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 25, 2016.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

I think not. Once's you're an alcoholic you're an alcoholic for life. I think it's best to completely stay away from any alcohol consumption because it's just so easy to think that this time things will be different and you're going to be able to keep things under control.
    MrsJones likes this.
  2. rEEzytheKiD

rEEzytheKiD Active Contributor

I constantly think things will be different and every single time I end up in a worse place than before.I think for me it's a challenge to get it right and safely incorporate alcohol back into my life. It never works. every time I end up spending too much money, ending up drinking way too much and screwing things up with my family.
    MrsJones likes this.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I would say not. When my husband got clean some years back he was doing so well and then he decided to have that one drink. Well one drink lead to another and another and another and now he is back to where he was all those years ago. I believe if he hadn't had that one drink then he would still be sober today. That one drink, let him back to the life he once lived, filled with alcohol and drunks.
    MrsJones likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm sure there are those who can, but why would anyone want to take that chance? It's like playing Russian roulette. If you're in recovery, just abstain. Better safe than sorry. Period.
  5. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I think that if a person has been a chronic alcoholic and is still on the process of recovery it's a major no-no to ever try drinking anything that has a even just a hint of alcohol in it because it could trigger relapse and withdrawal symptoms. Even mouthwashes with alcohol in them are actually prohibited for recovering alcoholics. As what @deanokat said, it's better not to take the chance because it might even lead to more problems in the end.
    MrsJones and deanokat like this.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me, no. I just don't see the point. I know the relationship I had with alcohol before and it wasn't pretty. Once I got on that path to sobriety I just knew that going back to it, even if I "thought" I could manage it, wasn't probably a wise idea. I feel better mentally, physically and emotionally without it.
    MrsJones likes this.
  7. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

In my opinion, if you are giving up addiction and want to recover, you must never go back to your habit even once. For example, you have remained sober for a week, you are recovering but want to taste a little. Now you never know when you go into heavy drinking again.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A desire to drink after you've overcome an addiction could mean you aren't ready to move on yet and if you've got this ambivalence there's a high likelihood that drinking occasionally would end in full blown use. Once you stop drinking, you never should drink again ever because that's how it all started. One drink. One more and you were addicted. Why do it all over again?
    MrsJones likes this.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think better not to drink even occasionally if you are still in the recovering phase or process. It is because that will just make the total recovery harder. Also it will depends if how strong their control will be when drinking on that occasion.
  10. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I have always heard that ex-alcoholics shouldn't. I think it really comes down to the individual but if you would be in a situation like that would you? I know I wouldn't.
  11. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

I've said in some other thread and I'll say it again: NO.

Taking even a single drink will put them on a slippery slope. First they have a drink and from that point they think that just one glass can't do anything bad, right? So they start drinking another one, and another one, and another one and so on. One glass becomes a bottle and a bottle becomes 7 bottles a week.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  12. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I strongly recommend that a recovering alcoholic not take any alcohol at ALL. Not even a sip. This applies to any a form of drug or addictive substance that someone is trying to let go. It's like once you have just a little bit of your drug or substance of preference you start out just bit by bit (and you think you can handle it) and in the end you just go back to the hole all over again. Then you have to start from scratch, and it will have been a time wasted.
  13. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Looks like most of the community here is saying just what I was going to say.
    That it's darn near impossible, and simply not worth the risk to find out.
  14. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I don't think they should. It for the best to stay 100 % clean until they feel they really can drink without any problems. It is risky to have a smell of alcohol and not only to drink it while you are recovering. If you want results but you cannot stop all of a sudden and completely maybe you should gradually take less and less and some less potent beverage like some beer or cider.
  15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Some of them can, but is it really worth it? When you sober up you realise that don't need alcohol anymore, and that is reflected in your actions. I personally don't find alcohol appealing anymore, I would much rather drink a fruit juice or water.
  16. henry

henry Community Champion

Take this in consideration. A recovering alcoholic asking if he/she can have a little drink occasionally, is the same thing as a recovering crack addict asking if he/she can smoke a little crack every once in a while. The answer is no, they cannot.
  17. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

If you're ever been an alcoholic, you cannot have a drink occasionally, since the lack of moderation was the main factor for which you got into that point in the first place. A recovering alcoholic drinking is not "recovering" anymore, as even moderation will always lead to over doing it like it used to be.

Better not take the risk and not drink "occasionally" either.
  18. I think they can. Maybe you will come addicted again by having a drink or two occasionally, but that doesn't always happen.
  19. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I do not think even one drink for a recovering alcoholic is safe. It's that how it all started in the beginning? With just one drink, then two then before you know it, you drank the whole case of liquor. If you are recovering, I would assume that you spent many hard days being sober and just drinking one drink socially will go back to your bad habits. Why would you waste all the hard work you had to put in to get to sobriety. Staying clean is a day to day process. Don't waste it on socially drinking with someone, even if it is just one drink.
  20. DN02

DN02 Member

I've heard and read about some people (alcoholics) saying that they they drink occasionally and they're okay, but I think not. My sister battled alcoholism for most of her adult life. She sadly passed away two years ago because of it. It was an endless cycle of being clean, in it again, clean again and so on and on. One drink leads to another and to another, so I would say if you're a recovering alcoholic, stay away from it.