An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can someone be addicted even if they don't drink often?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Brem, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Brem

Brem Member

So someone I know likes to drink whenever he's bored and I've been trying to tell him that he doesn't need to drink to have fun, but whenever he scrounges enough money up he'll buy some beer to drink. I feel if he had a job and actually made money he'd be buying beer a lot more, but since he has no job and doesn't make any money he often waits for enough returnables are left to buy some, or he does odd jobs around town.

How should I go about telling him it's a problem?
  2. TheKid

TheKid Active Contributor

I think that someone without a job shouldn't even think about drinking, they should rather be on the look out for a job, so I think it is a problem for him, he has somehow got addicted to alcohol(It can happen easily in the blink of an eye). I think you should just straight up tell him that you think he has a problem, tell him that as his friend you can see it and you want to help him. Maybe you can help him find a job or something to do so that he won't think of drinking so often, best of luck to you sir!
  3. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

I have been in that situation before, and I thought it was okay to drink when I have the money and I didn't feel like it was a problem because it's not too often. But that's exactly the problem -- whenever I get some money, even if it's just a little, I prioritize alcohol. That's the problem. It only got fixed when I starting hanging out with friends that are not alcoholic. I was influenced by them in a good way.
  4. Brem

Brem Member

Exactly. This is why I constantly wonder if he's an addict. He can't afford to buy a lot so he buys cheap beer to get drunk, which to me seems to be an addiction. I have talked to him about actually getting a job, but he feels he hasn't gotten fit enough to be comfortable in a job, but that's just a dumb excuse. I have told him that I think he's an alcoholic, but he laughs it off by saying that he doesn't drink every single day or night.

It's just that he acts like he has no problem. Any money he gets he wastes it on beer. I just wish he'd understand where I was coming from, because he's not really trying to do anything. I view it as an addiction no doubt about it, it's just that he doesn't feel like he is one.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Someone can be addict even if they don't drink often. His dependency on alcohol proves that. By drinking any time he's bored or has enough money to buy alcohol it evidently shows that he is an addict. If you want to help him, then you better start now before:

He gets a job and starts to drink like a fish

The best you can do is just talk to him about how his "love" for alcohol is costing him the real "fun" right now and may cost him more in future should he get liver cirrhosis or something else.
  6. atlantic

atlantic Member

He's showing a dependency, which may be signs of an addiction. But without a chronic habit, can you call it an addiction? I think that's subjective. That's probably why he struggles to see himself as one.

It's problematic that as soon as he comes across money, he somehow justifies buying alcohol. If you're unemployed, alcohol should be far, far away from the top of your priority list.

Try to rationalize that to him in some way, how irrational it is that he's spending his money on a crutch like this.
  7. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

It is difficult when you don't have a job and you are not the most sociable person on the block. People find other ways to get out of their shell or forget about their worries and unfortunately that is where problems like alcohol becomes addictive. You can forget about the fact that you don't have a job as it takes away the stress of having to find one. Scraping money together for booze is not unusual but it is for the wrong reasons and this can become a serious problem with an unhappy ending. Let him know that everything will be alright and that he will find a job which will change his life and outlook on things, then tell him that the alcohol won't take away the problems, it will just add to them
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree that you can be an addict without constant intake, because addiction starts with the mind as you constantly think about what you need and if it starts to be all about substance then even without action you could be arguably an addict to it already, just one without the means. I don't think you could talk someone into it though, because often their mentality is already very different, but the best you could do is to tell them what you think and just hope that they are open enough to listen to you further.
  9. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

It sounds like he has a dependency problem if he's looking to drink any time he is bored or has money available to him. I'd consider talking to him about it. I understand the motivation if he's in a bad place, unemployed, etc. but he should consider hanging out with people, going to parks, or doing some other hobby he likes without including alcohol. I have a friend who was unemployed/out of school for a few months and he would drink as a treat for himself once a week. That sort of spiraled into drinking regularly just to have something to do. I would try to distract him or invite him along to cheap/free activities as often as I could to get him out of the house.
  10. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

It sounds to me like a dependency problem, but at the same time I feel like it's not too late for him. I've seen people that don't have money to eat, but still manage to get drunk, how? I have no idea. I understand his situation because I'm been in the same position, but an alcohol problem will only make things worse.
    Just tell him what you think, even if it doesn't do anything.
  11. Byrom

Byrom Member

Personally I feel like this is a problem with alcohol, and free time. if your friend is bored he may resort to casually drinking beer, if it wasn't beer it may be marijuana, or some other recreational compound. I feel that the problem lies perhaps that he has no job, or responsibility, so he must fill his free time. I would put the pressure on getting a job rather than the drinking if you want a productive response. or maybe suggest he gets a hobby or a dog?
  12. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

There is addictive problem even if they do not drink often. I believe it is availability of money and free time that stimulates the problem. I have that experience before. I get addicted and have no much interest for other things. It can only be stopped when money is an issue and my mind got occupied with work. My heart gets hooked with it even if I am not doing it at the moment.
  13. Acube

Acube Member

If he does not drink a lot its really not an addiction but it could turn into one if he's dependent on it to have fun. The thing with addicts is whether or not they have a job they will find money and a way to fuel their addiction.Doesn't sound like your friend is that type of person, and you are right you don't have to drink to have fun.Try to anticipate when he is about to drink, then give him something else that he may like.Just talk to him straight up about it but do it when he is in a good mood.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It could not be an addiction already but definitely it is a problem.
    Instead of spending the money from other important things, he prefer spending it for alcohol. Also he does not have permanent job and it seems that he is not planning to get one.
  15. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I would not say that he has an addiction yet but he is definitely headed in that direction. You are right because I believe that if he did have a job and earned money that he would definitely buy more beer. Once you feel like you have to do something in order to feel a certain way then it is in the process of becoming an addiction. You can explain to him that at the rate he is going that he is headed for a dangerous addiction. Usually when people start off with a problem that has not fully developed into an addiction, they will be naive to the fact of where they are headed. The best thing to do is to be honest with him by telling him the truth because I can see that you care for your friend. Hopefully you can get him to stop before it becomes an addiction because then it would be a major problem.
  16. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

You are right he is definitly an alcoholic, because once he gets a steady job, he will comit himself to taking alcohol, since he does not hav a job currently and still tries his best to buy some then he would do worse, just tell him the truth, point out the facts to him, that is what true friends do.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Mostly people have to learn on their own. Sad but sometimes this is how it works. You'll probably drive him into it further by putting attention to it as calling it a problem. He doesn't see it that way right now. He wants it, its his choice and he seems pretty focused on it. Invite him to do other things. Sports or working out. Whatever you like to do, invite him to do constructive things.
  18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't think that's already considered as an addiction to alcohol since he doesn't really drink all the time. But yeah, he shouldn't be wasting the money someone has given him on alcohol. He didn't even work hard for that money. That's quite unacceptable. You should probably tell him to save the money instead of using it to buy some booze.
  19. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

He's not addicted, at least not yet. Tell him to be careful with it, because it will eventually become a habit, and habits often evolve into addictions. But as long as he is able to think rationally and not do thoughtless things like stealing money in order to buy beer, he's okay. Still, keep an eye on him.
  20. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I agree with @TheKid, that if your friend does not have money in the first place, then perhaps he should not be using what little he does have to purchase alcohol. I have a loved one who will do the same. He does have a job, however, his financial situation is a wreck, so he receives some help from loved ones. Each paycheck he will go out and buy alcohol or go out to the bar with friends, when he owes family money and really should use his money to better his circumstances. When alcohol or any substance becomes a priority over other more important things in one's life, then it has become a problem.