An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can someone be addicted even if they don't drink often?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Brem, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The only way you would know is if he could afford to buy it all the time. If someone doesn't drink all the time, then they couldn't have a problem. I think if you see a person spending all there money on alcohol then that could be a sign that they have a problem. If somebody is always drinking and there priorities are messed up then you can tell they have a problem.
  2. tyannaaa_

tyannaaa_ Member

I do strongly believe that someone can be addicted to alcohol even if they don't drink because well, everyone is different. It all depends but it can only take one time, the person may say they won't do it again. However, they end up trying it out again because it made them feel relaxed or relieved some stress. But yes, I do feel that is true personally from my opinion.
  3. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Probably not an addiction yet, but could turn into an addiction soon. This is what you should tell your friend and he might stop drinking that much.
  4. rEEzytheKiD

rEEzytheKiD Active Contributor

I think that there is addiction going on regardless of if you drink everyday or have a few on one day of the week. Like I'm an addict, but my friends don't feel like they have a problem because they don't get into the same situations as me. I'd say that anybody who's at a bar from evening till 2 in the morning is a bit of an addict.
  5. loverman99

loverman99 Member

Speaking for myself, I do drink like once in a month. I usually go to the music bar and watch some local bands play. The ones I know. I never came home being wasted.

So, if I was told I would not have any drink within a year... then I probably won't be disappointed whatsoever.
  6. LolaBunny99

LolaBunny99 Member

I think anytime you use alcohol as the solution to any problem (especially something emotional), you're bound to get addicted to it. Every time you have that same problem, you're going to use alcohol to deal with it (which, isn't really solving the problem; so, the problem will persist - further prompting you to drink more alcohol). Speaking from experience, I know how it starts - and, from what you described, your buddy is definitely bordering addiction. Also, not spending what little money you have on alcohol is easier said than done - especially since not having a job sucks.
    He may need help with finding a more constructive way to deal with his boredom.
  7. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

He most certainly shows the signs of an alcoholic, the reason he doesn't drink anymore is because he can't afford it. If his only goal in life is to get money for beer then he certainly does have a problem.
  8. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

I don't think its an addiction to alcohol.

He has the self-destruction syndrome. I don't remember the official term for it. Basically, he thinks poorly of himself. So, whenever he gets the money, he spends it, to justify his own thoughts. He thinks he doesn't deserve money, and so he spends it away in this way. If not this, then he would have done something else.

The way to help him is to boost his confidence. Get him a job where he can be appreciated.
  9. Andorphin

Andorphin Member

Drinking a beer once in a while I think it's not problem. But if you find this guy drinking it more than normal then yeah I think you should talk to him about it. There are some methods to stop drinking. It depends on how addicted he is. If he's just a little bit then I think you should have a discussion with him and try to persuade him that it's useless to spend so much money on alcohol and beers. If it's worse than that, tell him to pray to God (it really works if he wants to be free) or visit some psychologist to help.