An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can someone become addicted to prescriptions even when they don't need them?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Tsky45, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I always thought medicine is suppose to help you heal. When people get prescriptions for ailments they usually end up using it all there lives. If the medicine you use doesn't help heal your ailments why are people using them for over 5 years sometimes. I remember a time when someone I knew had to get off the medication they were taking and wouldn't let it go like a fiend. Could it be that prescriptions other than pain killers can be addictive also.
  2. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it is possible as sometimes people take medicine for some illness but they end up getting to a prescription and know some people in my family who did experience that, and took them awhile to change nearly up to a year. I reckon that addictions are very easy to face and also, it can take a lot of counselling and also help from family to give it up. I hope people who suffer from this get the help they need and also, try and function without the prescription in their day to day life.
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think anything can be addictive, even painkillers. I used to be a 'pill popper' wherein for every little pain, I tend to take painkillers or any medicine that can alleviate the pain. Most people are like this too nowadays, becoming too dependent to some medicines. It can really be harmful especially when that person relies on the medicine even for just minor headaches or pains.
  4. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Oh, yeah, absolutely. I can't speak for a lot of other prescription medicines, but in another thread I described how I was on the verge of becoming addicted to inhalers for clearing up asthma. The tingly feeling of the steroids going to work on my lungs and filling my head with that pleasant buzzing sensation was weirdly intoxicating. I still get that sensation on the off chance I actually need to use my inhalers, which isn't very often at all anymore.

Drugs are drugs, whether medicinal or otherwise. They mess with your biochemistry, with sometimes pleasing results. It's not surprising that patients could become addicted.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I also have to take pills for the rest of my life, and it's not a very nice thing to think about, to be honest. But it prevents further complications, and helps me live an almost normal life, so I guess that's the good part. Whay's not nice is having to spend lots of money on them, as I take three types of medication per day (had it worse, when I had to take six types per day). I can't say I'm addicted though, I stayed some days without taking them, for example when we organised sleepovers.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I know pills and other medicines are supposed to heal, but I think that they also have harmful ingredients that make one addicted when they use it for a prolonged period of time. Sadly, that has been a vicious cycle that has going on for sometime now, so we really have no choice but to turn to alternative medicine to avoid being addicted to prescription pills.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

As being said, anything can be addictive so, I think it is possible to be addicted in any type of medication whether it is needed or not. There might be some who will try to mix medications on other substances and be addicted to it.
  8. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

When doctors will give us a prescription for a medicine it is only for that certain type of illness and for that period of time only. After that we do not need to take it anymore. But usually other people when they are feeling again for that kind of ailment they do not go anymore to consult their doctor but instead tries to heal themselves alone and use that old prescription and buy that medicine again . This is not the right thing to do because you might never know a different medicine is already needed for that and you may never know that you are already abusing yourself using that kind of medicine whenever you feel pain or even nothing at all.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Almost every prescription medication can be addictive... A few years ago my grandma used to have sleeping problems and immediately she went to a doctor for a prescription and he gave her sleeping pills, even if she didn't really need them, and now she literally cannot sleep without them... I guess that situation can happen with pain killers too.
  10. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

No one's claiming that pain killers are supposed to heal you; they just make the pain a hell of a lot easier to deal with.

Source? Also, again, there is a big difference between a cure and a treatment.

Yes, hence all of the people addicted to prescription opiates/opioids, benzodiazepines, sleeping pills, and amphetamines.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

When we take certain medications for a period of time, our bodies get used to them. Then when we stop, our bodies protest, by exhibiting withdrawal symptoms and the brain tells us that the only way to stop this is to take some more medication. This reaction isn't exclusive to drugs that produce feelings of euphoria either.

That's all there is to it. It makes no difference whether you actually need these drugs or not, a physical dependency is basically a physiological process.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

There was a time when people were getting healed only through the power of herbs and words, as crazy as that sounds. Don't get fooled, the pharmacy market is really big (the government makes a lot of money off of people that are sick). Your body gets used to the medication and sadly, you can't do anything regarding that.
  13. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Healed by herbs and words? I can understand herbs being used as a treatment and, in rare cases, as cures, but words? Do you have a source for that?
  14. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Everything taken repeatedly and in excess can cause addiction. It all starts with habit. When you habitually take unnecessary prescriptions, your system will start depending on them. To prevent any habit from turning into a full-blown addiction, you have to practice moderation.
  15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't have a source, I learned about those things at a couple of meetings but I'm sure you can find something relevant online. You heard about the placebo effect, right? That's how people used to treat the sick ones back then, it was kind of a hypnosis.
  16. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Some pain killers can be highly addictive. Most people obtain them first by prescription then obtain them illegally when their doctor no longer prescribes them. Some people begin to take way more of the drug then they were originally prescribed because they build up a tolerance to it which can lead to health problems.
  17. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Absolutely they can. They can get introduced by a friend or someone and get addicted that way. It's a horrible idea to do that especially when you're not even prescribed in the first place. A lot of them are highly addictive just after one time.