An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can someone recommend the best memoirs / true story books about addiction?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by frogsandlegos, Oct 26, 2014.

1. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

What books would you recommend or NOT recommend? This would be to help me understand the battle of addiction. I'm not really looking for "self-help" books (those feel free to suggest some), but I am interested in reading memoirs / autobiographies of someone who has overcome addiction.

So far the only one I have read is "Unsweetened" by Jodi Sweeten. I do think it portrayed the battle well, but I'm sure there are other good books out there!

Thanks for your help!!!
  2. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

A book writtwn by Todd A Zalkins called "Dying for triplicate" and another one is "Smacked"
    These are from people who were addicts and they talk about the downward spiral and the journey through their addiction.
  3. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

Thanks - I have never heard of either of these books but am going to look for them - thank-you.

I have heard about a "Million Little Pieces" but I remember he spoke on Oprah that he made parts of it up, so I guess I want one that is completely true.

Thanks for the recommendation and if anyone else has one please share - thanks!!!
  4. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

These are written according to true life experiences and worth a read from both points of view. I cant think of any others but will ask around.
  5. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

I'll keep checking this thread for suggestions for book titles as I'm searching for a few myself. I was thinking about a used book store to check out a few options so I went to one and they were mostly self help styles. I'll keep my eye open. I'm looking for more of a title geared to friends and family with an addicted relative etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'd recommend Craig Ferguson's book. He is a recovered alcoholic and doesn't touch any substance anymore but he doesn't condemn it either for usage by others, and I think that is a very level headed way to approach this subject. His moment of realization came when he was on the verge of suicide and now he is a successful comedian/author and being an older gentleman I think provides for a fuller perspective on the subject.
  7. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

8. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

That was one of the first ones I ever read, and it was definitely a good one.
    Thanks for sharing the link!!
  9. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

Your welcome I hope it helps you fond other books that help your situation.
  10. Simkata

Simkata Member

I have read quite a lot of books on addictions. The one really standing out for me is "Crank" by Ellen Hopkins. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not an easy read... In addition, it's stacked up with all kinds of mistakes you might make while growing up... with drugs, sex, alcohol... It's not a book that you will *like*... no, it's not meant to become your favorite book or something. On the contrary, you might end up hating it, it might frustrate you, make you angry... What is certain is that it will move you! Here's a quote:
    "I hate this feeling. Like I'm here, but I'm not. Like someone cares. But they don't. Like I belong somewhere else, anywhere but here, and escape lies just past that snowy window, cool and crisp as the February air."

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  11. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I would recommend you The Shining by Stephen King, even though it's not fully related to the subject, is an amazing book with one of the main characters who is addicted to alcohol and he tries very hard to quit. In the end, the alcohol controls him and ruins his life, even though he tried so hard to quit.
  12. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

Never really of it that way but you are right its a tale about a man addiction taking over his life.
  13. shandrum

shandrum Member

I don't know if you have heard of the now, Life Coach, Dani Johnson? But, she has an amazing story and she hit dirt bottom before she saw the light. She has a story of childhood abuse, drug, alcohol. bankruptcy, living as a homeless person, and suicide attempts. She is a bit forceful and to the point, but her story is amazing. She has a free website that has a wealth of information that is free. She has videos from cooking all the way to the very serious business of addiction.