An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can teens get help without parent consent?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by sweetkymom, Oct 11, 2014.

1. mikeqin

mikeqin Member

Side Proposition believes that opting for underage abortion is not a whimsical turn of mood on part of young women; we believe they are very much aware of the consequences of bearing a child if they want to avoid it
  2. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I am against abortion, but in fact being addicted and pregnant is something really complicated, in that case I don't know what I would do really.
  3. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

It's very rare for someone under the age of 18 to receive treatment without their parents being brought into it. Unless you have a trustworthy adult who is able to help you, almost any doctor or school counselor or anything like that is forced by the laws and rules of the school system to notify the parents of the child if their kid is doing something that is self destructive like that. I think that if there were some sort of resource where someone under 18 could feel comfortable and safe going to if they need help, a lot more kids who need help would actually seek it and try to get their addiction under control.
  4. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

If they are seeking treatment through a medical facility - they do not need the permission of a parent - the doctors are not bound to tell the parents anything - they have doctor patient privileges
  5. Peachdejour

Peachdejour Member

This is tricky. It depends on the state. In the state of Ohio, the teen can see a counselor for 4 visits before a guardian is notified and the guardian is not responsible for the payment of those visits. For any type of inpatient treatment, the guardian has to be the one to initiate the treatment.
  6. hellonamesdana

Are you sure about this? There are laws in place that if a child under the age of 18 is seeking any sort of medical treatment and is not emancipated, that their parents must be informed of the type of help and treatment they are receiving. And even if they don't, it'll show up when they get the bill.
  7. Peninha

I agree with you dana and it makes sense, if you are under 18 the legal guardian has to be contacted because ultimately the decision about the treatment is up to him.
  8. hellonamesdana

I mean when I was under eighteen, if I so much as got a paper cut in school, the nurse had to call and let one of my parents know. Even if I were just going to lay down for a while or something like that. So the school is out obviously, because they have to tell the parents. Any doctor who has immediate access to your parent or guardians phone number or way of contacting them is required by law to let the minors parent or guardian know what's going on. They can't legally give a minor help like this without consulting with the parents or guardians. If they do, the parents or guardians can sue.
  9. Peninha

I don't have that personal experience dana, but what say makes total sense. More, we see it all the time on TV, doctors can't perform certain procedures without the authorization of the legal guardians.
  10. hellonamesdana

I mean, it's sad that that's how the laws are, but at the same time there's a reason why those laws are in place. At the same time, if a child is refused treatment because of their parents, there should be ways around that.
  11. Peninha

I don't know, I think that particular law makes some sense, but there have to be exceptions, I mean, a person under 18 should be allowed to be cured even if the parents don't allow.
  12. hellonamesdana

I know that there are teens out there who aren't legal yet who are going through things that involve them being addicted to drugs or alcohol or whatever it may be, and they're terrified of telling their parents. What if the parents kick the kid out of the house while they're just trying to reach out for help? It's just going to get worse for them.
  13. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

My first question would have to be, WHY? If you're serious about recovery then it's going to be difficult to do this completely on your own, and at times hiding it may be contraindicate the whole process. If it's being hidden for legit reasons, like fear of abuse and things of that nature, I would support that, but if you're just trying to keep it from the parents in general, I think it's probably time to fess up, accept responsibility for your actions, and work towards solving the problem, not hiding it from those that care about you.
  14. Peninha

Yep, that is a good point Nick, but the answer to the why can be simply because my parents don't care about me so I am on my own or, they are addicts too, how many possibilities are there?
  15. hellonamesdana

There are certain parents who will not be supportive and helpful when their kid comes to them. The last thing that someone who is trying to get help wants is to be completely shut out by people who they believe love them unconditionally. Anyone who owns up to needing help should be able to get it without being thrown out of their house or something like that. That would be my biggest concern.
  16. 003

003 Community Champion

It depends on what kind of help you are going to give them. If you are only out there to give advice when a teen asked you, then it's at all cost allowable. But if you are to put them in a formal rehabilitation, then you'd really have to get a consent from the parents. If it's making you confuse, here's a quick way to deal with it: If it were a legal help, you'd really need a parent consent or bring it to the court of law, and there settle it. But if the help is informal without physical or mental force directed towards the teens, then it's just like a help from a friend. Does a friend need consent from his friend's parents to help him? I don't think so. But I guess whichever help you'd plan to give to someone, it'd be best if you collaborate with the parent. After all, if you want to help, you'd give the best the you could do.
  17. Peninha

In an ideal world that is true 003, collaborating with parents is the best, but at the same time if that happened in the first place most likely kids wouldn't have entered the drugs world.
  18. hellonamesdana

Most kids turn to drugs because they don't feel safe at home, or because they're lashing out and rebelling against their parents, or because they feel that their parents wouldn't even care if they did. Even if they decide that they want help, it would be incredibly hard to do it behind the backs of their parents, who might not be so quick to help their child after they've partaken in such self destructive behavior.
  19. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

I believe that the parents are totally overvalued. A lot of times, parents play a huge role in the addiction of a child and shouldn't be required to go to a doctor. Doctors are supposed to help people, so I guess there should still someone around who wouldn't ask for the parents.
  20. Peninha

If parents are overvalued who is responsible for the people under 18 Dtracy? I don't think parents are overvalued, but relations between parents and kids can get complicated.