An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can teens get help without parent consent?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by sweetkymom, Oct 11, 2014.

1. I would think they would need some type of parental consent. I guess there could be exceptions to this. But I would think that would mostly be if the treatment was court ordered.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Better if they can be helped even without their parents on various situations like they are orphans, with parents who are also addicts and with parents who are irresponsible. Right too that parents should be informed or notified but I think what more important is that making sure the kids/teens will be given help no matter what.
  3. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

There are professionals who can definitely help even without the consent of any parent. Like there are instances that a parent is really not available, so this is applicable.
  4. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

Overvalued may have been the wrong word^^ I know how important they can be, but I believe they can be replaced by another person. Sometimes people have bad parents, but other people who act as role models. If you have a broken home with parents that don't really care for their children, I believe that in that case they shouldn't be regarded as important as they usually are. Since this can sometimes be the case, I think that the children should be able to do more without parent's OK to do so, like going to the Dr without him contacting them, since he doesn't know the parents and the kids background yet, which means he can't possibly know if that's the right choice. If they are good parents, it's of course another story.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

As a teen, one can be open to someone who can listen to them, not a must they are their parents. Teens can talk to their elder brothers or sisters. Uncles or aunties can give good advice. An elderly neighbour can help with advice since they have experience. If one is open to talk to their teachers, then they can get good advice.
  6. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

it is very important to find someone to support you as it is not easy to do it alone. The first step to a good recovery is to have someone on the outside to support you and keep you smiling when you are sober and in need of a friend
  7. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I have not read any laws on that, but I think that the law has to be involved for this to happen.
  8. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

I think you're right and if teens and children were allowed to get help without parent consent, it would be beneficial. They wouldn't be doing anything to arm themselves, they'd be doing things in order to help themselves, so why not? You're right, I think more children would definitely go in for help because their parents did not know, if their parents actually knew, then they would fear what their parents would do to them. I know that I kept myself low key if I ever did something bad.
  9. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I hope that the future holds a lot of information and ways for young people to get help without having to get their parents involved. Kids should not be afraid to reach out for help becuase of what their parents will think and because of how their parents will react.