An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can u go to a rehab with a partner and never be left without them

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Icantdoit, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Icantdoit

Icantdoit Member

I have had bad experience with rehabilitation center/ psych ward Im literally terrified to go but I also know I need to. My boyfriend also needsee to go to a rehabilitation center and has offered to come with me... is there anyway of going together without him having to leave my side?... and I mean never leave me alone...
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Icantdoit... Based solely on my experience and knowledge, I would say the likelihood of you and your boyfriend going to treatment together and never being separated would be very slim. Most of the treatment centers that I've dealt with have separate living quarters for men and women. A quick search online shows that there are some rehabs that will allow couples to attend treatment together, but I would think that even those would likely have the individuals go through detox separately...and probably be in separate rooms.

You may want to do some further research online on this subject.
  3. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

Sorry to hear about your bad experience in rehab. But my own personal opinion is that you should try to do rehab separately the reason I'm suggesting this is that rehab should be a selfish process. I'd recommend you both go separate. Because in serious rehab issues can arise that could cause friction between you both which could cause more harm than good. I understand your fears but at the end of the day your recovery is all about you. And your boyfriends is all about him. Perhaps find a center that you could both attend but work trough your issues separately. After rehab you'll both be able to attend your meetings together for the rest of your lives hopefully. I so wish you both all the very best in your quest for recovery lol xx This is merely a suggestion not a must. The only must in recovery is that you have to do it for yourself same applies to your boyfriend Hugs to you both xx
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

P.S I hope to see your profile name changed from Icantdoit To I've done it in the future lot's of love xx
    deanokat likes this.
  5. Icantdoit

Icantdoit Member

I understand that there could be issues... perhaps maybe it would help if we started together like maybe the first cpl days.... idk .. all I know is we have gone now 3 times and I can't bring myself to get out of the car (we have gone to a different place everytime).... I think I was truly traumatized by my last experience... I can't even drive past the place without crying .... I think I just need to get past the initial going in the place and once I see everything is OK I should be but...idk....
  6. Icantdoit

Icantdoit Member

I know I need help I just feel maybe I can do it myself I just don't think I have the right support system I need... there is only 1 person I feel supportso me in this and that is my boyfriend.... I wish my parents would understand that they need to support me not yell at me all the time for it.... I'm 27 not 17....
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm sorry that your parents aren't supportive, @Icantdoit. Parents can certainly be a key influence on a person's recovery. I'm the father of a 26-year-old son who has struggled with addiction for more than 10 years, and my wife and I have always been supportive of him. It's not always easy, but we realize that addiction is a disease, not some kind of moral failing. We also learned early on that yelling at him wasn't the answer. Parents need to approach a child's addiction with love and empathy, just like they would any other disease.

Maybe your parents just need some education. There are a lot of great books out there on the subject. Do you think they'd be willing to read up on addiction? If so, here's a blog I wrote a while back that talks about a few books that are really great for parents/loved ones of those struggling with addiction. I think the first one on the list (Beyond Addiction) would really help your parents understand and respond to your issues better.

6 Essential Books for Those with an Addicted Loved One

I hope you can find the strength to go through rehab soon. With the right help, I know you can beat your addiction.

Please know that we are here for you anytime you need us. Reach out anytime, okay? In the meantime, I'm sending you lots of positive, clean & sober vibes...and hugs full of hope and encouragement.