An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can you be addicted to exercise?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Cheeky_Chick, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

One of the things that I have tried to do since struggling with my addiction is exercise more, and on the whole I do think that it is something that has worked quite well for me. However, the issue now is that it makes me feel really good when I exercise, to the point at which I almost get withdrawal symptoms if I am not able to exercise for any length of time.

Do you think that this is an addiction? And if it is, do you think it's a healthy one, or something that I should be trying to cut back on?
    endoftherainbow likes this.
  2. shenika

shenika Member

i have never heard someone being addicted to exercise before but once exercising isn't affecting you medically i don't see why you can put in an extra hour if that good make you feel good. i wish i had the time and energy to do a little exercise now and again, exercising is very good for you and it will keep you health and fix but over working yourself will drain you in the long run.
  3. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It can be an addiction if a person spends more time at the gym or exercising as they may neglect their family and also, think they should concentrate on training which can consume their time, and energy as well which can be stressful for others. I think that if a person balances their time in things then they will be able to do things, which will not cause stress, and depression to occur which can happen if a person does not set the time right for things. I think spending a few hours a day is alright, and even training with someone can be good as you will feel more motivated to do it and enjoy the exercise as well.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Its not a bad addiction if you do it properly. As long as you don't push yourself so hard that you tear muscles or something you should be okay. Exercise will boost your immune system and give you more energy. I wish I had this type of addiction. But over all as long as you don't do it wrong you should be alright.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've known people that I would say were very addicted to exercise. To the point that it got in the way of normal activities. If you wanted to spend time with the people I have in mind, you'd have to be doing so at a gym. If you went out to eat, it needed to be somewhere with "paleo" approved meals. Working out was almost like a cult addiction to these people - and the fact that it's a healthy addiction doesn't detract from the fact that it can be excessive when it interferes with normal, every day life.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is being said that one can get addicted to anything so, it could be possible to get addicted to exercise. If you have withdrawal symptoms for not exercising, most probably you are already addicted to it. If you not feeling over fatigue or not harming yourself from exercising, it can be okay.
  7. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

Based on your description, it is difficult to tell. In my opinion, an addiction is something that you enjoy doing, that you experience withdrawal from, and that harms you in some way. Are you exercising to the point of physical pain? (Not exhaustion/soreness. Pain.) Are you exercising so often that your social or family life is suffering? If so, then yes, I would qualify it as an addiction. You can be addicted to anything, I think, as long as it meets those criteria.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, and plenty of people are addicted to exercise. It is considered to be too much of a good thing or a positive addiction. Many people will exercise continuously to the detriment of their health and or relationships. Look at the famous example of Kelly Ripa and her husband both with leg damage. Too much of anything is not good for you.
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think it is okay as long as you are not jeopardizing your health and well being. If you feel that you need to exercise at a certain length of time, it is fine. I am like that too sometimes even getting frustrated when I cannot finish a set. As long as you are not straining your muscles and is not exercising up to the point of injury, there is nothing wrong with what you are doing.
  10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Yes, it's one addiction that's certainly not bad to have provided there are no adverse health ramifications. Around 6-7 years ago I would exercise daily and quite extensively, I should add. After a few months I started experiencing some back issues. I checked with my local physician and he told me that I should tone down on the exercising. Now I only exercise 3 times a week but still remain fit.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes, but it is a good addiction. It does more good than anything. Endorphin release in the brain is what is addictive. Its anti aging and keeps your body in better condition. Helps with posture and self esteem. You learn focus and attention as well.
    Cutting back? Lol well you do what you need or want. Athletes and enthusiasts do considerable amounts of it. Myself I've done anywhere between 30 minutes to 4 1/2 hours a day. 3-4 1/2 I did 6 days a week for I don't know like 10 years probably. Its a hobby. Perhaps some people would say that's excessive. I'm not the only one that does stuff like this. Men and women who put the time in are in great shape. Their bodies are something to look at. I remember this guy standing near me. It was 4th of July one year. I had just gotten out of the gym. He was giving me a cat call kind of. Lol started speaking in a lower voice and said, "I've never seen a woman look like this." He was talking about muscles and ab definition. It feels good to hear things like this. You have to put the time in in order to get your body in shape. Get to a certain point you can cut down and maintain.
    Cutting back? It depends upon what you want to do with yourself. What's the worst that could happen if you put in too much time? What's the worst that could happen if you cut back? Maybe that would answer your question.
  12. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

No addiction is good, as it prevents you from functioning properly if you haven't consumed or practiced whatever you had to. Make sure it is not evolving into one, as there are people out there who start taking pills who make them fitter and get obsessed with their body image because of this. Except this, exercising is very healthy and it's good that you do it.
  13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I think over exercising can be an addiction. I remember watching some family guy episode where Brian begins running experiencing runners high. After a while he becomes a total wreck for not giving himself a break. Altnough I am refering to a cartoon it does have some bits of truth in it. That some people will over exercise for different reasons.
  14. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

There is definitely a pharmacological basis for exercise addiction, given the endorphin and other neuro-peptides that are associated with elevated levels of physical activity.

However, if this doesn't negatively affect your life, it's hard to categorize it strictly as an "addiction". Obviously, if exercise then becomes an integral part of an unhealthy obsession with weight loss, for instance, then I can see it being an "addiction" in that sense.
  15. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Not in a common sense of addiction but in a good way I believe so. I am addicted because everyday I just have to workout. I do have rest days but it never like 5 days or something like that. Since I was seven I was engaged in sports and now I am 28 and still workout everyday. It is enough for me and never too much but I am in good shape. I have great stamina and strength as well. My thoughts for next year are about Russian Systema. I just found out we have it in my town so I will give it a try. I even worked out when I was in hospital for 15 days, because I had Pig influenza. I did basic push ups and sit ups.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Exercising is indeed a good activity, but overdoing it can be addicting and detrimental to your health. I would really advise against going to the gym more than 1-2 hours a day, otherwise you'll overtrain and exercising would be worthless.
  18. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Yeah, I believe a person can be addicted to almost any activity or "thing" (substance of other) with the applicable circumstances and mindset. In this scenario, over-exercising can be detrimental to our health. At max, three hours per day is the healthy limit, and going over that starts to incur some health risks.
  19. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Yes, you can be addicted to anything. I should mention that the sweet spot for heavy physical activity is sometimes between 3-4 times/week, for about a hour, to a hour and a half.
    Exercising releases endorphin and dopamine in your brain and other chemicals, and while in itself it's not harmful, being addicted or dependent on it brings out problems similar to any other addiction.
  20. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

I've been reading up a little on this topic, and it seems that "exercise addiction", where it exists, is usually a co-morbidity marker for other, more serious issues. So in this sense, yes, exercise addiction can be a bad thing, and something that shouldn't be overlooked if you, or a friend, are starting to show signs of having it.