An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can You Be Strong Enough?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Those who've just stopped drinking are always advised to avoid the bars they went, stay away from their former drinking buddies, etc, etc. After you've been sober for a while and you thinks [or believe] you are strong enough to resist any and all temptations, would it be wise for you to re-connect with old friends who might still be guzzlers or would it better [for you] to cut them out of your life forever?
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I cut all ties with former drinking buddies when I gave up alcohol. I stayed away from bars and places where alcohol was easily available for a long time. In fact, I never returned to such places. I suddenly got bored with hanging around bars. It all just started feeling "empty" and pointless to me. Even conversations that I once found interesting suddenly lost their gloss. Their seemed to be nothing much to discuss anymore with my drinking companions.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I don't see a problem with stopping in and saying hi to your old association. I mean once you get over that hump and know that you are in a better place mentally. Just stop in say hi, maybe get some closure on the matter of why you disappeared for months. Then see where it goes from there. You never know. Your friends might of changed as well.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't think it's wise to reconnect with your old guzzler friends, even if you were able to overcome your addiction. It doesn't matter if you think you're strong, your friends may have a bad influence and I don't think you'd want to spend time with people who get wasted every night. I think that if you already made effort of recovering from an addiction, it's not hard to form new relationships.
  5. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

probably not wise if their only role was to drink with, if they were your friends in general then of course go see them. If they are good friends of yours they would understand what you are going through and would understand and not pressure you.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

The problem is, that you can always go back to your former habits if you let yourself influenced by those so-called friends. I'm sure of it. I know that when I quit alcohol, I was pretty much influenced by others to start drinking again with them in bars. I wasn't far from saying yes, trust me.
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

You will have to avoid them. They might influence you into drinking again. If they may want to follow your steps and quit, then they can join you. This is to make sure that you never get back to drinking. You can change your current location if you find it impossible to avoid them.
  8. ajzappola

ajzappola Member

I also avoided the places and people in the beginning. I did it because I had not yet recovered enough to handle these situations. The truth is however, that truly recovered people have the option of joining old friends and going to places that serve alcohol if they have a valid reason to go. Always check your motives first. Do you still crave the alcohol? If so, I suggest some more work on yourself before you try it. Today I don't enjoy the same things I did when I was drinking and I get to explore the entire world. So I do not feel like I have missed out anything, rather I have gained tremendously from staying sober and growing spiritually.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

If these were old buddies that you just drank with and not friends that you hung out with doing other things then it would be best to stay away from them. You need to do it for you and your recovery. If you are still craving alcohol then going around people or places where alcohol is then you are just tempting yourself and why do that to you? for now you need to find a new way of life and some new friends where alcohol is not the focus.