An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can you bring prescription drugs on a plane? Like, in your carry-on?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by overhellbaitre2, May 30, 2015.

1. How do I do this? I don’t want to leave it in my suitcase b/c with my luck it will accidently be sent to another country. :)
  2. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I can't vouch for other countries, but in the US, yes, you can bring them in your carryon. Just leave them in their original bottle that states the prescription and your name, and put them in your bag. If they're liquid, you may have to put them in a ziplock bag, but you're not restricted to certain limits.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it depends on what countries you are going to visit. Some countries might be stricter compared to others. It is important that you have your prescription together with your medicines and I think that is allowed on most Asian countries.
  4. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

I think all depends on if they are prescribed to you or not. If you are taking medications such as adrreral or Xanax you might want to check with those countries policies on those medications! In most cases of the medication was prescribed to you (the traveler) and you have the pills in your prescription bottle than there should be no problem.
  5. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

6. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

You have to carry all prescription drugs in your carry-on. Check with your carrier, but my airline does NOT have any liability for people who check prescription medications. So if your checked luggage is lost, the airline has no responsibility to replace your medicines. Make sure they are properly labeled with the prescription information on the original container. I never have the doctor's prescription with me, because of course the pharmacy has it, or how else would I have gotten my prescriptions in the first place? The label from the pharmacy is sufficient. In practice, the most attention my prescription has ever gotten is that once or twice, entering from Mexico, someone glanced at the label momentarily and with no real evidence of interest.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

What sort of prescription medicines are you carrying with you and where are you going? You have to do your research first because some drugs which may be allowed in your country are banned in others. Take for instance, amphetamine. That drug is used for people with nerve and narcolepsy problems, but there's no place for amphetamine in countries like Korea and Japan - I think even India. If airport security finds out you're bringing those drugs, you could land in jail.

Check out the list of drugs banned in the country or place you intend to visit. I bring my prescribed digoxin medicine with me all the time but since it's not a banned drug, I've safely carried it with me from place to place.
  8. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

if it's tablets it should be fine, bring the original bottles and explain to check-in staff the situation. liquids, particularly in excess of 100ml may be somewhat more problematic
  9. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

As long as it's stored property so satisfy both countries rules then you are fine. If it something that is questionable or illegal without a prescription then I suggest bringing along the documentation that says you are allowed to have it.
  10. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Yes, if the prescription is labelled and current. Just know they do randomly verify people now just as well as they do random stops
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I actually read an article similar to what you mentioned not too long ago, where a woman ended up in jail in Japan because she had prescription Adderall in her baggage -- so yes, it would be very wise to check the laws on the country you're visiting just to ensure whatever you have, despite it being prescribed, is allowed in the country you're visiting. For the times I've traveled, and the countries I've been to, I was fine just taking my medication in its' original packaging. I think for a lot of places this would be easier, since if you had random pills in a zip lock baggie, for instance, then it's going to look pretty dodgy to a customs official on first glance.
  12. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Besides checking existing laws, it would be an easier way get in touch with the airline you are going with to ask about any restriction on this at the destination point.

They may either tell you directly if any, or give you the specific number to get information on this matter.
  13. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

Like others have written, it's always a good idea to check what the travel restrictions are in the country you're visiting. I always do this, and not just for my prescription drugs but for everything I'm carrying in my luggage, including clothes. What's the point of bring something if you can't wear it for cultural/religious reasons, or if it's banned and can land you in trouble.
  14. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Be certain to check the government websites for both the country you are in and the one you are visitiing. Generally, it is permitted though, providing the containers have the labels which state the name of the drug and the person who it is for.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The carry on is fine. Call the airline and ask for guidelines if you are that worried about it.
  16. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

If I'm not mistaken, it depends on the situation. I want to say that you're aloud to if they are completely necessary, but you might need to have some sort of proof that you need to take them at a certain time. I don't think they will deny you your pills if you may be in a life threatening situation. If they don't allow you to bring them, I'd ask them if there is some sort of way for you to have them hold onto them for you throughout the flight.
  17. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I ALWAYS bring my prescriptions in my carry on bag. This includes my asthma inhaler. Never even been questions about what they are or had the labels looked at. Medicines that must be kept cool, like insulin, you should call the airline about.
  18. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

As long as you don't have high dosages, you'll be fine. My father, who is a diabetic, has never had any problem, not even in the US or in Saudi Arabia, even though he had carried insulin with him.

Just don't act suspicious and always carry the prescription from your doctor with you, just in case any TSA agent wants to see it.