An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can you fix your liver?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Adrianna, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

CAN YOU FIX YOUR LIVER?
    Isn't that the biggest question when you've been a drinker most of your life. The symptoms of liver damage are pretty interesting. Cirrhosis of the liver. You don't want it to get this bad.
    Early signs that no one is going to tell you is grinding of the teeth, over thinking, and insomnia. The typical signs are as far as they tell you, and they look at you like they are the grim reaper, too late. You need to stop drinking and go for medical treatment. How fun?

Can you heal the liver itself? Well I was reading something interesting today about papaya seeds; it can heal cirrhosis of the liver. This is a big wow factor. I personally thought that this was irreversible, but apparently not. There are other benefits to the seeds as well. The seeds are very, very spicy. I dumped a whole papaya fruit's seeds in my papaya shake and my nose was running like I had jalapeños but different. My mouth was not on fire. You don't need to eat that much, just try a little at a time.

Papaya and the seeds seem to be a great way to get there.
    Elendil likes this.
  2. ash

ash Member

My answer is in YES, but my question is that CAN YOU QUIT ALCOHOL...
    Lots of people have been changing his life after suffering from this problem. If you have a good supervisor for helping you to leave your alcohol habits.
    My opinion is that if the victim person starts some meditation and yoga then he or anybody can change his whole life.
  3. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I didn't know that teeth grinding and insomnia could be linked to liver issues. o_O

I wonder if I have more liver damage than I realized then. I wouldn't even know where to begin with trying to repair it, though.
  4. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

The liver does have some regenerative properties but it has its limit, if you've drank for so long you've pushed it past that point - you're screwed. I'm skeptical of any natural products which claim to help the liver regenerate. My best advice would be to stop drinking and lead as healthy a lifestyle as possible. That will give your liver the best chance it can have to heal fro, damage done to it.
    Thestoryteller1 likes this.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Liver damage can be reversed but it needs dedication to a healthier lifestyle - one which does not involve alcohol. There are various supplements, like milk thistle, which claim to accelerate the process but it's doubtful that they do what they say they will.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It's not as easy as you think. A liver may regenerate some of the damage that was done to it but it's a very hard process and I'm not even sure it can be repaired 100%.
    You'll have to follow a really strict diet I think, and get rid of every bit of alcohol and sodas.
  7. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

The body is pretty good at repairing itself, but it can only do so much. I'd also like to know the sources behind the papaya seeds thing. Have any studies been done to confirm whether or not those work? The best thing you can ultimately do for your liver is to stop drinking.
  8. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

It is true that the body is good at repairing itself and stopping yourself form drinking should help. But there are also supplements in the market that say they are good for the liver. Silymarin capsules come to mind when it some to liver health. But I'm no doctor. Research and consultations from doctors is really needed.
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Though the liver has a capacity to regenerate, it is not that extensive. I think it is better if an alcoholic does a major lifestyle change and refrains from drinking excessively. It is better if he or she starts early so that liver cirrhosis can be avoided. It also helps to be in the know for the symptoms you have mentioned as these are important in diagnosing te disease.

I never knew that papaya seeds are edible. We consume lots of papaya and love its sweetness. We have never tried eating its seeds though. I wonder what is the property of the seeds that can actually help in liver cirrhosis? Maybe in the near future, someone can actually make a salsa or dip out of the seeds so eating it is quite easier.
  10. L_B

L_B Community Champion

A liver can heals itself. I know that for a fact because I have a co-worker who had a bad liver and it was only function at a very low percentage. Things are finally starting to look up for him. The doctors told him that his liver functioning is improving. It will never go back to where it should be but there is an improvement.
  11. Thejamal

Thejamal Active Contributor

100% agreed with this. It depends how far your liver is gone from drinking, but the only way to reverse the effect in anyway is to stop drinking and start leading a healthier lifestyle. Drinking a lot of water is a good start and everyone can doing as it greatly improves your liver health.

I have no idea if the natural remedies like the papaya seeds mentioned in the thread actually work or not, but I tend to not rely on those sort of things for my health.
  12. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Every organ in the human body has the capacity to repair itself. It all depends on how far the damage has reached. But even with advanced cirrhosis of the liver you still have a good chance to repair some of the damage, only you have to be prepared to adopt a very disciplined lifestyle and never again stray from your path.
    Papaya seeds are often used as antibiotics. But for them to remain effective they should be used sparingly.
    If you suffer from alcohol induced liver damage, it might not be a bad idea to consult an alternative health practitioner and start on a holistic program that includes a specific diet, medicinal herbs, exercises, regular treatments to balance your energy,such as acupuncture or massage, and some form of meditation.
    Think about treating the roots of your illness rather than the symptoms...
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

As long as you eat healthy and nutritious food, and you have now completely abstained from alcohol, then yes, I think there's still a way to fix your liver.
  14. Thestoryteller1

Thestoryteller1 Active Contributor

I agree with everyone. Our bodies have the capacity, with proper care, to regenerate more than we think it's possible. Yes, may be not at a 100%, but if an organ you had was functioning at 30 or 40%(just random number to illustrate a point) and you could, with proper care, get it to 70 or 80% function, isn't that change still worth making?:)
    And to the point of the medical symptoms: most really bad diseases have small symptoms way before it gets bad. Those are usually unnoticable, since they can mean many things- like insomnia for example. So I would say if someone wants to really know, and they know they are/have been abusing alchohol for a while, so they are worried about their liver- go to a doctor and get diagnostic to check your liver function. Easiest way to know if your symptoms are connected or not, and how healthy you are.
  15. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

A healthy lifestyle can work towards "fixing" your liver. It can only do so much depending on the damage that's been done.
    Some may need a transplant, not a pleasant experience. That's even if they can match a donor some people wait years for one.
  16. rightct

rightct Community Champion

With enough effort, everything can be achieved, even a seemingly hard issue such as dealing with cyrrosis, for example. Though like someone said... if you can't quit alcohol, then your fight will be pretty much in vain, and I can guarantee and confirm that.
  17. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The human body can heal itself. For that to happen you need to eat healthy and not consume anything that will hurt your body and immune system. Alcohol is just one of the many things humans consume that leads to body deterioration. Sugar, alcohol, nicotine, all of which contribute your bad health. That needs to be stopped immediately.
  18. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is good to know. Drinking to much alcohol can damage the liver. My father told me my Grandfather died from liver damage and abused alcohol. I do believe there are natural cures for about anything. I'll try the papaya seeds even tho I don't have liver damage tho. ;-)
  19. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

As you said, I think it's kind of difficult to completely fix your liver after the damage that alcohol can cause you... I'm not an expert about this topic but a great way to take care of it is eating healthy and visiting to your doctor often, maybe he will give you some advices to keep taking care of your liver.
  20. akko

akko Member

If you quit alcohol permanently and begin to live a healthier lifestyle by exercising, dieting, and so forth, this could lead to a healthier liver. However, this all depends on your past alcohol consumption. If you have been drinking daily for several years, it will take a while till your liver can heal.

Apart from alcohol though, coffee with milk is also known to cause problems to your liver. Nicotine and foods high in sugar can also lead to a damaged liver so to completely fix your liver, you must avoid all these ingredients and substances.