An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can you fix your liver?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Adrianna, Jul 26, 2015.

1. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe if it is not too late. I think that even the body can fix or be healthy again through healthy living, there could be limits. The change should be done not on a late stage in order to make it a possibility.
  2. juanperez1990

juanperez1990 Active Contributor

Short answer is yes. But can you go back to your original state of well-being? I'm sorry, but not. It can however improve.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It would make sense to avoid what damages your liver in the first place. Even if you found a cure that could heal your liver in a week, there's no point in exposing it to more harmful substances. The idea of healing your liver is just as important as protecting it. I think healing and protecting go hand in hand. I agree avoid the toxic poisons.
  4. PSmith

PSmith Member

Your liver can become injured or seriously damaged if you drink more alcohol than it can process.
    Complications from alcohol related liver disease usually occur after ayear of heavy drinking.
    Since an individual susceptibility to the toxic effects of alcohol may vary by many factors including age, gender, genetics and co- existent medical conditions, it is advisable to review alcohol use with your physician.
  5. ajzappola

ajzappola Member

I am not a doctor, but I have done a lot of research as well since I got sober. I talked to my doctor frequently because I was paranoid about the damage I had done . My doctor told me that my liver cells would regenerate in a short time if I stopped drinking and stayed stopped. Later I discovered that there are a ton of things that we do to hurt our liver. Nowadays I avoid taking medications unless I really need them badly. But the biggest concern was my diet. What is in the foods I eat? Truthfully, I never cared about this stuff when I was drinking and using so I had to learn to care for myself from scratch. Now I am ten years sober and my health has improved dramatically. I know what my body needs and I make sure I put the good stuff in. I have new ways of dealing with stress. Stress is another hugs problem because stress causes the body to release a ton of destructive hormones into your system that destroy the bodies internal balance. So getting my mind/body.spirit together was a huge challenge for me but I did it. I have daily practices that keep me in check and I know the warning signs when I am out of whack.

The number one thing that you an do for your liver has to be staying sober right? The rest will happen in time. Just be dedicated to yourself.
  6. andrewjames

andrewjames Member

Your liver can repair itself to some degree, but you need to give it the right environment to do so. I don't actually think you need to do too much in this respect however; just stay off the alcohol, don't use too many OTC painkillers, drink plenty of water, and rest, rest, rest.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Can someone quit cyberstalking when it is so accessible? Obviously not. Maybe they should have a rehab center for that. Yeah an alcoholic screws up many aspects of their own life and others. The ability to walk away from an alcoholic and leave them to their own demise is easy on those involved. A cyberstalker you are not able to do this with. Maybe someone should start a program to help rehabilitate cyber stalkers.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

You are right the liver does rejuvenate if you work on it. The state of well being, interesting add in. Original state, original state....hmmmm? I had not thought about that. Perhaps many people are searching for that state. Another complex subject. Wow, well I am actually believe it or not experiencing how to get back to a better than original state. However you are referring to alcoholism which is a depressant. Toxins, depressants, junky food and whatever else one has in the body do all add up to a not so original state. This is for sure. Is it? Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door will open. Big smile cause I certainly wasn't looking I just do my best to move towards being happy as best as possible. Original state, that is so funny because there is something that i remember as a teenager that I always wanted to get back, and it is not what you think. Its more like an appreciation or happiness for certain things. A feeling, an elation for something I thought was gone for good. I figured it out.
    So, with alcoholism you don't think the original state of well being can come back. Well, if that is what you believe, but I certainly think it more than worth it to believe and try to bring it back. One way or another. But the real question is, is the original state an optimum state?
  9. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Yes you can. Live r can regenerate but you need to live alcohol for good and what I know and tried, you need to drink whey but not the powder, although you can, you should drink the natural one, the liquid one. It is the best part of milk or to be more precise the thing we get when we make cheese. This method is safe, healthy for many other reasons and it works.
  10. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Once you damage your liver by drinking too much, you cannot fix your liver. However, once you quit alcohol, you can stop your liver from further damaging.
  11. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I know for certain that the first step into healing the liver is to stop the alcohol consumption. If a person that is trying to heal their liver continues to consume the substance that is the root of their maladies. Any attempts of trying out natural products or prescribed medicine would be futile.

Some of the natural remedies that I've read about for cirrhosis are milk, dandelion, thistle, licorice root, astragalus, zell oxygen, and schisandra among others. I would go for the milk really, it's cost effective and found every where.
  12. tomservo

tomservo Member

As many others have already said, I think it all depends on the level of damage the liver has to recover from. There is, essentially, a point of no return for every individual. I have a friend who drank himself to death a little over a year ago. His liver completely shutdown, and from what I was told by those who were there, it actually "dissolved" to some degree or something along those lines. It's probably safe to say, at that stage, he would not have been able to heal his liver.
  13. Andorphin

Andorphin Member

Yep I think you can definitely fix your liver. It's just about patience and responsibility.

I think the first step would be to give up alcohol completely and just drink water. Or fresh juices. After all the damage done by the alcohol throughout the years I think give it up all the way would help the liver rest.

The next step would be to eat more fruits and vegetables, exercise regularly and reduce stress levels.
  14. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I have read articles that you can in fact reverse the damage you have caused to your liver. There is a thing called "gallbladder/ liver cleanse" that involves drinking a lot of apple juice for 3 to 4 days prior to the cleansing process. On the 5th day, you eat a light breakfast, and then after 2pm you eat nothing. Stating at 6pm you mix 3 to 4 teaspoons of epsom salt with 3/4 cup of water and drink it. You repeat this process at 8 pm as well. Then at 10pm you mix 1/2 cup of olive oil with 1/2 of grapefruit juice and drink that. Immediately lay down on your right side. It is said that over night, it flushes the liver and gallbladder or stones and sludge built up over many years. The next morning is ugly! You pass some very unusual things in the toilet. I have done this for my gallbladder a few times. It is suppose to cleanse the liver as well as reset it back to its original working functions. I say, you really do not have anything to lose so you might as well try it!
  15. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

A lot of bad advice on this thread, obviously, from people with no medical knowledge.

The liver can repair itself, but up until a point. You can't fix it from there, not the traditional medicine can do it. What they can do from that point, however, is to least slow down the process of developing liver failure, but not for a very long time.
  16. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Sometimes it is too late and the damage has been done.
  17. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

Once the liver enters the state of cirrhosis, unfortunately, it can't be reversed ( the diseased tissue become converted into fibrous scar tissue, which cannot revert back to living, functioning hepatocytes.) But, in the early stages of the disease, when there is fat deposition in the liver, and we call it alcoholic fatty liver and alcoholic hepatitis, it is reversible. A healthy lifestyle and NO ALCOHOL will actually cause it to repair itself pretty damn fast.

Oh, by the way, I didn't find any scientific papers that 'prove' papaya seeds can cure liver cirrhosis. Most probably it's a rumor ( a well-published one).
  18. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I'm not a doctor but I think it depends on the damage on the liver. Yes, the liver has regenerating properties but if the damage is really bad because of too much alcohol abuse, then I guess, like any other thing that has been subject to abuse, the liver will eventually break down. Prevention is still better than cure so we better take good care of our liver and steer away from substances that might damage it.
  19. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

:D What's interesting is the fact the liver is the only organ able to repair itself, but up to a certain level of damage. :D You can't fix it too much from there, unless you're getting a new one.
  20. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

visiting a doctor is definitely required, to know how bad your liver has become. I've heard it's hard to fix a liver but there's always a way.