An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can You Get Clean Without The 12 Step Program?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by Rainman, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The 12 Step Program tried and tested by time has been proven to be the most effective way to kick any addiction. Some addicts have managed to successfully get over their addictions using their will-power alone. But that would be too hard for most people.

Question: are other strategies which can be used to overcome an addiction which can or are as effective as 12 step programs?
  2. allswl

allswl Member

The 12-step program is just one of a number of programs out there that help people get over addiction. If fact there are a few people who have been able to kick there addiction without being involved in any program at all. Kicking addiction with depend in part on your level of addiction, commitment, consistency, and whether your truly want to kick it.
  3. jenbeau90

jenbeau90 Member

Absolutely you can. The 12-step program is not the only method, it's just the most popular one. What's more important is to find a program that you can relate to and be honest it. Being comfortable with whatever program you choose is a good to turning around your life. You need to find a place where you don't feel ashamed, so you can tell your whole story and discuss your hardships or mistakes while on the road to healing.
    Rainman and Jen S. like this.
  4. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

Yes, it depends on the person, their will, their desire to change their life, and a ton of other factors. Every person is different so it is always best to have therapy involved so you can figure out what is best for you and to change the reasons why you abuse. Mental health is an important part of the recovery process.
    Rainman likes this.
  5. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Active Contributor

Obviously it is very possible to get clean without the 12 step program, however, there is a very obvious reason why a 12 step program is considered the best and why so many people follow it.
  6. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Good question. Short answer: yes.
    Long answer: There's a big difference between getting clean (ridding your body of mood/mind altering substances) and being in recovery. I believe we can get clean and recover without a 12 step program....but a 12 step program (or basically any program that encourages us to focus on the root of our problems) helps. Here are links to different types of recovery programs.
    Rainman likes this.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yes, I'm sure there are other ways of rehabilitation. It's probably one of the more stable guidelines out there but it probably shouldn't be considered as a rule or standard. Just like any other tool or practice, it works for some and it doesn't for others, and not just because it works for the majority doesn't make it the best or most efficient tool.
  8. SurfLifeinFla

SurfLifeinFla Member

Yes.

It is about making better choices and often not being around toxic people. However NA/AA and other programs can lead a person who is struggling to a new group of friends who do not want to live a toxic life.
  9. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Even using the 12 step program, one has to have the willpower to quit. The two works well together but there are several other effective programs that can also be considered. Spirituality also boosts the results, as commitment to one's faith has a great impact on our life's decisions.
  10. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

I am sure religion can help those that need that faith to help them get through it all, but there are many people who just don't have that faith. Some people just have the faith they need in themselves and in the people they have around them to go on. I don't have that faith, but I do have a belief in a higher power.
  11. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

I ms a Hindu and I can say that religion doesnt help at all. When you want to get high, thee is no stopping you from doing it. Someone else needs to step in to help you out of it as far as my opinion is concerned. I wouldn't be clean if it wasn't for my friends and family.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Some may recover in less than 12 steps. Some need absolutely 12 steps to return to normalcy. Some need beyond 12 steps. I guess that's what that program lacks: a customization package to suit varying degrees of addiction. Although I may be wrong in my understanding as I've never had a first-hand experience, still I think it's better to tailor fit rehab programs based on specific needs.
  13. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

Can it be done? Sure. But when you have a proven organization, available 24/7 that costs no money, where you will be people who will take you for coffee at 3am if you need it, then why look elsewhere? Take the things from the programs that work for you, and leave the rest. So many addicts tell their families, "you just don't understand." 12 Steps give you people who do understand, but they won't let you bs your way to get pity either. The groups near me have parties on Saturday nights and holidays, they have clubhouses where 24/7 people are there playing pool or boardgames. The fellowship alone can contribute to sobriety for some. Good luck to all.
  14. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

There are many programs that can help with addiction but the first thing that you need is a support base. If you do not have one of those then getting into a program is a must because people who can relate to your problems and understand what you are going through are there with you and when you are clean and in recovery that it is when you need the support and understanding. Some days are harder than others and a support system will keep you on the right track and pick you up when you are feeling down.
  15. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I really think that you don't need the 12 step program to get clean. It is not for everyone. Some people don't like that it has Christian foundations so they don't even take it seriously to begin with.
  16. bluekknd2

bluekknd2 Member

It is a crutch to help you walk. If you don't want to walk, a crutch is useless.
  17. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Yes, the 12 step program is just one way to get over an addiction. It really depends on the person and the addiction. Some addictions such as meth or cocaine or heroin a person will most likely have to go to rehab to successfully get off because the detox is so difficult. Other things like alcohol some people may be able to get support from friends and family and not have to go through a specific program. No two addictions are alike, just like no two people are alike.
  18. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Getting clean and fully recovered cannot be done alone. You need assistance from others who not only have your personal well being at heart, but also the knowledge to help you fully recover.
  19. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

If you have a great support system and your are 100% ready to change; you will be able to do it. I just know that it is a very hard road and many do fall short. I feel it depends on how willing you are to change. Most people do need the extra help that a program can give. Its just like with smoking, some can do it cold turkey while others need intervention.
  20. KC Sunshine

KC Sunshine Member

What you get with the 12-step program is fellowship and rituals. We are social animals and can change our behaviors with the help of others. More likely than not your drug abuse has become an issue because it is something you no longer do as a social activity. You have become alienated. Your using and the shame that accompanies it keeps you in the dark. Trying to move out of using from the position of isolation is not going to work. I can promise you that. Other fellowships provide the context to change behavior as well, but the special focus of the 12 step fellowship on addiction and recovery means it is often the place where your challenges will have the opportunity to be aired and understood.