An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can You Get Clean Without The 12 Step Program?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by Rainman, Oct 17, 2014.

1. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Whatever addiction you are afflicted with, willpower will only get you to a certain point. You need positive encouragement from others and support on many different levels. The 12 step program is so successful because it offers exactly that and a lot more. If you want to kick a bad habit, you do best if you have a person or a group who believes in your total recovery, as often you have lost the faith in your own abilities.
    Zyni likes this.
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I wonder if you can really say that the 12 Step program is the best way, since their is probably insufficient evidence when it comes to methods used at home, or in private. Remember, research and studies are only as good as how comprehensive the information truly is.
  3. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

You can do it yourself but I myself rather have a proven guide to help me if I were suffering from any type of addiction. Something that has been tested and has had an impressive success rate with patients.
  4. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Yes for sure, there are other ways to get clean without the 12step program. It largely depends on the person's determination and circumstances. But more on their conscious choice to stop I think.

My uncle lessened his alcohol intake after being a drunkard during the best years of his life. When the grandkids start coming in and a family business that has somewhat thrived, he started to find more worthy cause to focus on. Then he regularly does weight lifting which I think diverted his attention.

My brother-in-law used to be a meth addict. When he was given another chance to do a job that he loves, he was motivated to keep himself clean to get accepted in the job and to stay in it.

Both of them have not done the 12-step program. It's just a conscious decision and worthwhile goals to keep them out of their addiction.
  5. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

I think different things work for different people. I like the 12-step pattern though. Maybe it's because I'm a creature of habit and also someone who gets motivated when I know I'm not alone. I understand why it wouldn't work for everyone though. There are different ways of kicking the habit, and 12-steps is just one.
  6. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Yes it could be done. If the 12-step program is not for you, then there are so many other methods to choose from. As long as you can find a program that fits with your needs, then go for it. Any way to effectively overcome an addiction is always better than having an addiction itself. If the addiction is not severe (maybe caffeine) going cold turkey is an option too.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree, considering that even the 12 step program can fail some people so it probably follows that it's not a sure fire way of getting better and therefore it's probably not the best and only way. I also agree that spirituality helps a lot. I personally don't believe it is a good substitute for addiction but at the same time I realize that substance abuse is a little bit more deadly in immediate terms so I see it as being a lesser of two evils and if it helps the addict then it might be worth considering.
    Davienna likes this.
  8. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I have no reservations for the 12 step program in fact i think it's a reliable method to treat addiction.But at the end of the day,it's the will power of the individual and not external forces that will ultimately be the decisive factor on whether we succeed or fail in our quest to leave our addictions.
  9. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I am

very sure that there must be some programmes other than the 12 step programm, that are succesful.
  10. Denise

Denise Member

I got clean with out it, but I'm having to go now, but if I never step foot into another meeting would not hurt me one bit. Some.people need that outlet and release and that connection of a 12 step group and meeting.
  11. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

I agree that a solid support base is crucial when changing any type of habit, regardless of the type of addiction. For myself, it is important to vocalize your urges and name them as such and then tell my support system. This way, I aknowledge that I have an urge/habit/addiction and I'm not hiding from it--but dealing with it face to face. My support reminds me that it is unnecessary and asks me why I would want that substance, etc.

12. juno

juno Community Champion

12 Step is one of many programs you can go to. It really can depend on the individual and what stage you are at. There are more intense programs through hospitalization or residential treatment facilities. There are also Intensive Outpatient Programs where you meet at least 3 days a week for several hours a day. These outpatient programs are often scheduled around work or school. There is also a program called Sober Living or you may just be able to deal with your addiction through counseling.
  13. CrimsonAdder

CrimsonAdder Member

12 Steps Support Groups are extremely effective because, as KC Sunshine put it so well, you're fighting for a common goal along with other folks in the same situation as you, and these groups provide you with structured procedures and rituals that can really help in establishing good habits and a general sense of discipline and order in your life, which are 2 things that many addicts tend to lose with their condition.
  14. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Of course you can. I loved 12 step and still attend meetings after eight years, but it isn't for everyone. What is important though is to seek medical supervision and ensure that you address the reasons that led to your addiction in the first place. 12 step is fantastic for this but it isn't the only option out there.
  15. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I find support important and in a program, there are other people that have been through the exact same things that you have and they understand, which makes it easier to get well and stay well. It is also a feeling of success and survival once you have been sober for long, to stand up in a room and encourage others by letting them know and saying out loud that you are SOBER.
  16. RobertNick

RobertNick Member

The 12-stage system is only one of various projects out there that help individuals get over fixation. On the off chance that truth there are a couple of individuals who have possessed the capacity to kick their dependence without being included in any project whatsoever. Kicking habit with depend to a limited extent on your level of dependence, responsibility, consistency, and whether your genuinely need to kick it.
  17. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I agree that the 12-Step program is tried and tested. There are many people that will use it until the end of time but honestly, I think that having a really strong support system can bring it down to the 11 or even 10-step program.
  18. olb1213

olb1213 Member

My father was in and out of rehab many times, did the 12 step thing and eventually when he finally quit for good he did it on his own. I agree with others that 12 step groups can be helpful, but the desire of the addict to get clean is what is at the core of any recovery.
  19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Why not? As long as you are willing and very much earnest into being clean and sober, then definitely you can find your way to recovery. It all depends on that person whether he/she is going to take action or just sit and watch his/her life crumble down.