An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can you overdose on over the counter drugs?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by showthelifesint, Jun 17, 2015.

  1. E.Mil

    E.Mil Community Champion

    I believe that you can overdose with over the counter medicine. Even though it's not prescribed medicine it still contains various chemicals that can still be harmful if taken in the wrong way. I think when a person has had way too much of anything it can be harmful to them.
  2. missbishi

    missbishi Community Champion

    Of course you can overdose with OTC medication. Some of it is pretty dangerous indeed if it isn't used according to the manufacturers directions.
  3. Matthodge1

    Matthodge1 Community Champion

    Oh yes, it's definitely possible. I just recently read something on someone OD'ing on Xanax. It is very possible.
  4. amethyst

    amethyst Community Champion

    I'd say that you can overdose on just about anything. You can overdose on some of the spices on your kitchen rack. Or personal toiletries and things that you keep in your bathroom. You can do yourself a lot of harm by trying to kill yourself with certain pills. If you survive, you are most likely to suffer from sever organ damage and might face a slow and agonizing death. So, yes, anything in excessive doses has the potential to make you very ill or kill you.
  5. rcdpink

    rcdpink Active Contributor

    It is possible to overdose on just about anything. People overdose even on food. Human beings are intricate, complicated and have varying circumstances that shape our decisions. Why an individual would decide to overdose on a particular drug will depend on that individual's intrinsic feelings and preferences. So yes it is possible to overdose on over the counter drugs and sleeping pills are one such drugs that we find that many individuals seemingly get overdosed on.
  6. rcdpink

    rcdpink Active Contributor

    I do agree with you 100 percent. The best thing to do is to be very careful and to read the instructions that come on the over the counter drug content.
    gracer likes this.
  7. Liv6

    Liv6 Member

    It is absolutely possible to overdose on over-the-counter drugs. Regular-strength Tylenol alone contains 325 mg of acetaminophen, with anything over 4,000 mg being amount for overdose. While it may be highly improbable that someone would take that many pills of Tylenol, overdose is possible. Likewise, one can also overdose on cough syrup. Every drug has the potential to be dangerous or even fatal in high quantities.