An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can your brain recover from drug abuse?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by overhellbaitre2, May 30, 2015.

1. I'm 22 and when I was younger I made some rather poor decisions. From from 16 - 21 I abused drugs quite heavily. Smoking weed every evening and night probably totaling around 2000 times stoned in 5 years. I did amphetamines weekly and several hundred pills of ectasy towards the end of it all and various other kinds of drugs to the extreme.

It all slowed down my mind a considerable bit. Upon quitting taking drugs I noticed my brain function seemed to get better over the next 2 months but I get mentally exhausted very quickly and sometimes I forget things a year on.

Please don't tell me how foolish I am because I know full well.
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

The good thing is that you have already noticed an improvement in your own case. And that's what you have to build on. Nobody can tell you exactly how much damage you have done to your brain and rest of your body, no doctor and no machine. Only time will help you heal the damage and repair whatever can be repaired. There are natural supplements that you can take to improve your brain function. You can also start training your concentration again with simple exercises. Slowly, one day at a time.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Typically we are here at this forum to provide support to each other overcoming addiction and staying clean, as well as a little fun here and there =)
    I want to congratulate you on realizing your poor decisions, you won't get that kind of judgement and being called foolish here as we have all probably been in the same boat. I hope you continue to walk the correct path, it will bring you many blessings.
    It seems like you are coming back to normal, in my opinion God has made our brains very flexible. If you keep on the right track God wants you to heal so I think that it is possible to get back to your old self.
    However I highly suggest seeking out professional medical advice, I think they would be able to provide proven ways to help you heal.
  4. ella

ella Member

Abuse of drugs can destroy nerve cells and disrupts neural circuitry which can affect your mood, behavior, cognitive functioning and so. But fortunately, the nerve in our brain can regenerate itself provided you eat proper diet and nutrients.
  5. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Some of the most intelligent people I know spent their youth doing some fairly heavy drugs. It is true though that drug use can and does negatively affect your brain. Sometimes permanently, via changing brain patterns etc,etc. Memory loss is a quite well documented side effect from drug use, particularly marijuana.

However, I wouldn't worry too much, the brain is an organ like your other major organs and it can often be trained back to good health. It is the use or lose theory I guess. There are many exercises to improve brain function, I think the Wii even has a whole range of games for that purpose. I know crosswords are recommended also.

Remember a whole generation of flower children took truck loads of drugs (watch out for the brown acid - Woodstock!!!) and then went off to uni to become teachers, lawyers, engineers, business leaders, information technology experts, psychologists etc,etc,etc I don't think any supplements have ever been proven clinically to aid the brain in any intelligence type way. Although fish oil (brain specific one) supplements wouldn't hurt.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

We are on the same boat, lately I have noticed my memory is horrible, I can do nothing but blame that on my past drug abuse. I actually feel kinda bad talking about the details, so I won't (like I do most of the times) because like you I feel very bad when I think about it. I was told by my psychiatrist the damage one of those drugs did could take years to be fixed, but there was a big chance that wouldn't happen :(

Have you heard about NLP? I'm going to start trying NLP exercises on a daily basis, they are good to train your brain, can help you with your memory. Definitely better than sitting and doing nothing. if you decide to give that a try let me know, would love to hear how it goes for you! I tried NLP in the past and has helped a lot!
  7. superbobby

superbobby Active Contributor

I'm still feeling the effects on my memory from my earlier drug days. Other than that, I seem to have recovered well. I am able to concentrate properly unlike before.
  8. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

It seems the brain can repair itself. The best supplement you can give yourself is good information. The world is a large place with the most fantastic wild life, their habitat, friends and foe. None of this info can harm you, yet your mind will take from the information what is useful for everyday living. Environmental interests, air, water, Sun sea and sand. All have qualities that can be discovered.
    I suggest you look around for information that make you think OH what's that about, then look for the links that broaden that info. Memories are filed away like folders in your computer and forgotten about, press the right button and you will remember, at least some of it.
    If you can remember what you did before those days then do that. Did you enjoy bike riding if so do it. If you enjoyed puzzles found in books, then do that. Before you know it your mind will be waking up and enjoying itself. Our minds like to know, that is what their function is, so give it some good news.
  9. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Try learning new things to try and awaken unused parts or your brain. You can try and help yourself with your own positive energy. Not focusing on what you did in the past, and rather putting yourself on a path for the future would be good. You should really watch "What the bleep do we know". PS I am not some religious freak or anything, I do my fair share of illegal substances right now. However the way that I focus on the energy that i give to myself and others, is helping my mind and body. I have not noticed my thoughts or body degrading in any way. I can tell when my body needs to do certain things such as sleep, or be with positive people. I think if you are able to direct positive energy to the parts of your brain you believe to be damaged you will be able to help yourself.
  10. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

EPA fish oils are supposed to be good for the brain. Try to get unpolluted ones.

Higher Nature do a "brain food"
    http://www.highernature.co.uk/ShowProductFamily.aspx?ProductFamilyID=452

It contains vitamins, phospholipids and amino acids to help the brain function well. Something like this might help you.

Time as well. Time is a great healer. Don't do yourself any more damage!
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

We all have done something in the past that we truly regret. But what matters right now is your present and of course, your future. I am glad to know that you have finally realized that drugs won't do any good to you, mentally or physically. Anyhow, best of luck in life. :)
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think it depends on what type, and how much abuse is inflicted. While a lot of people can recover physically, the toll drug abuse can take on the brain is another matter altogether.