An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cannabis detox

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by amin021023, May 5, 2015.

1. recovered

recovered Member

I completely agree. At one point in my life I couldn't function without some kind of substance. I smoked every day, almost every couple of hours. After quitting I am more alert, finishing school, caring for my daughter and have motivation I didn't have before. The benefits are always seen when the hard work is said and done.
  2. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

And our mind is totally distorted. For example, I thought I was no longer smoking tobacco and was happy with it. Guess why, I was smoking pot all day long...
  3. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

When my friend gave up smoking weed, she was quite stressed out. I suggested she stop drinking coffee and try some of my St Johns Wort tea instead. St Johns Wort is a 'natural' remedy to help avoid stress and make you more relaxed. I can't honestly say it'll work for anyone else but it helps me relax and it helped my friend when she gave up weed, shes been off of weed for about five or six years now and she still drinks St Johns Wort, give it a try if you've given up smoking weed or tobacco, it might help take the edge off of the withdrawal symtoms, if it does nothing for you then its fairly cheap and you'll have lost nothing. Research it before you do take it however, because I seem to recall it may be unsuitable for you if you are pregnant, or you are on other prescription drugs.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

M
    My son was a "pothead" at one time. I made him go to a program however, and he was forced to quit. He never talked about what it was like quitting, but I gather it wasn't pleasant. He hated the "program" i.e. school at the time, but I think it did teach him some valuable lessons. I am pretty sure he doesn't smoke pot today, but he is an adult now, and is doing very well, whether he does or doesn't smoke.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

St. John's Wart is a good idea as a substitute. I never thought about that. The only problem with it , is that it is not good for people who are sensitive to the sun, because it can increase photo sensitivity. Valerian might be another possibility, but it might make someone sleepy. Valerian does have sedating effects. It may not be good for everyone.
    Steve Dawson likes this.
  6. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

If you are crying form Marijuana withdrawal that may be a symptom of something else. Personally, I've never had serious withdrawal symptoms from weed, but it can become something to some people where they believe they need it to do things, so they become dependent. I've noticed if I don't smoke for a long time when I do again I get nervous and paranoid, and start to lose confidence. There are almost no real benefits to weed, despite what many claim.
  7. Steve Dawson

Oh yes, I forgot about Valerian, it does have a calming effect, but it does make me a little dozy too. With 'alternative' medicines I think its best to try them, after researching any potential side-effects of course, and see if they work for you, sometimes they do, and other times not. The pharmacuetical industry likes to give the impression that they are all completely useless, but its all mankind had for thousands of years before modern medicine and they are still used extensively today in other cultures around the World, China being a good example of this.
  8. sunflogun

So true, I think alternative medicines are way underrated and they can definitely help us with a major plus, they don't have side effects because they aren't drugs, it's all natural.
  9. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

@Hyperion: you're lucky you didn't feel any withdrawal symptoms.
    that happens to me too, when I don't smoke for a long time, then smoke again I get paranoid, which makes me if I overdosed because the tolerance was zero.
  10. sunflogun

That also depends on what you're smoking because sometimes they make a crazy mix that makes us paranoid, it has happened to me and it's something really bad.
  11. Steve Dawson

Well this in a nutshell is part of the problem, notwithstanding those parts of the World that have legalised the use of cannabis, in the rest of the World, you're buying an unregulated substance in an illegal transaction. There could be just about anything in it, you literally don't know what you're buying. We've all heard stories about people being ripped off and buying oregano, but it could be much worse, you could literally be buying poison.
  12. sunflogun

Even in the countries it's legalized you can get it on the streets. Sure, maybe it doesn't make sense because you can get it in stores, but if it's cheaper people might go for it.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Talking about not knowing what you're buying off the streets or whether it's been tampered with, I have heard that many dealers in my local area have been experimenting with it by adding grains of substances like cocaine which look like THC crystals in order to get people addicted. When users see the white crystals they assume it must be THC and that they are buying strong marijuana when in reality, they could end up smoking traces of crack or other similar substances.
  14. SharkyJen998

SharkyJen998 Active Contributor

I, too, felt depressed, unmotivated, and had trouble sleeping because of my super vivid dreams. I have often heard of people experiencing an increase in the frequency and vividness of their dreams when detoxing from cannabis. Can anyone else relate?

I found that much of my restlessness was caused by a craving to smoke and feeling like I had nothing to do to replace the habit. I found it useful to drink water or take a walk to distract my mind from my urges.

The worst for me was my aversion to food. Not only did I not feel any desire to eat, but even when I did get hungry, foods just did not appeal to me. It took me a bit to get used to eating again without being mindlessly high while doing so.

I sympathize with your detox experience, but I am so happy that you were able to come out on the other side. Stay strong!
  15. sunflogun

Detox it's not something easy regardless of the drug because the most strong part of addiction is psychological and that is really hard to change.