An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cannabis - Medical Facts

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by hoverman, Aug 17, 2015.

1. hoverman

hoverman Active Contributor

There were some really interesting discussion topics around THC and the effects it can cause in this area, and it got me researching a little bit into so more medical sources for information.

I came across this link from the Royal College of Psychiatrists in the UK, which presents some interesting tid-bits of information concerning Cannabis. It suggests a high dose can cause anxiety - which can certainly lead to violence, and that even though it was previously thought to not be addictive, more recent evidence suggests otherwise.

I felt it might be of interest to share this with everyone, and possibly be useful for those out there, who would like to convince loved ones or friends to seek help in moving away from THC.
  2. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Although I enjoy a friendly debate, please do not try to propagate using scare tactics which use unusual circumstances. Yes, cannabis in a high dose can cause anxiety. Similarly, a high dose of water can kill you, along with caffeine, chocolate, the sun, etc. An average individual will most likely pass out (not blackout) if they somehow were able to obtain a high dose of cannabis. The only recorded death caused purely by the intoxication of cannabis was in a science lab where they gave a monkey an endless stream of cannabis smoke for inhalation. Similar to your high dose, of course the monkey died. You need to ask yourself "Is this practical scientific application?". No. It isn't.
  3. hoverman

hoverman Active Contributor

Thanks for your reply btalivny! I was really addressing two threads, when I posted mine, that contained people asking questions. From memory, the first was asking "Did anyone get violent on weed?" and the second thread was "Is It Really An Addiction ?..." - both at the moment are still visible on the front page of the threads. As you can see, the content in my post links in pretty well with that.

I don't think I was particularly scare-mongering, given I was quoting directly from a freely available and reputable source of information. You might disagree, so I suppose we could agree to disagree on that point?

A rapid search online also highlighted this article that registers a death, outside of your stated lab-monkey scenario. Whether it's true or not is another issue. Many other sources emphatically state there are no direct deaths linked to THC - so it looks like there are differing views out there. Have you, or anyone else, found anything related to this??

Believe me, I am not here to advocate against personal habits; but I am here to help those who feel like they are addicted. This creates a whole new debate as to the addictiveness of THC but we can continue that debate in the appropriate thread I guess!
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah what you are saying is true. The UK is always ahead of the curb. I just recently put all of this together myself with out reading this kind of a study. The anxiety I kind of remember that happening when I was younger. I think that the violence and anger can incubate up to a span of 4 years time. Basically you can do it for a while and then these side effects are just waiting to spring. Extremely erratic behavior is also another one. This garbage is basically to cause chaos and destruction in people's lives.
  5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Even though this is not a situation exclusive to marijuana. Any drug of abuse may eventually lead to similar results, only that duration to get side effects manifesting vary based on the substance, same as the effects that it may cause in the long run.

Some drugs may or many not have medical application, but even the safest medication can be source of anxiety and further addiction and health problems if abused.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Just in the news lately about medicinal uses of marijuana and I think there will be a need of more researches before they could give conclusions whether it is really effective or not, or more beneficial than harmful.
  7. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Medical uses of marijuana have been known for years, or decades. But only if used in medicines and not by smoking marijuana as far as I know.