An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cannabis, social anxiety and OCD

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by amin021023, Nov 8, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Do you think smoking pot is bad for this mental illnesses? can you provide a legit source?
    I'm currently dealing with these issues and have found that weed doesn't have negative nor positive effects on me on those issues, although it's still soon to tell...
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Whilst marijuana does have multiple medical benefits, it's also common knowledge in the health field that marijuana also exacerbates most mental illnesses, especially social anxiety - there are numerous reputable sources. Marijuana is also known to cause social anxiety and paranoia, not just exacerbate it. These symptoms may actually seem alleviated at first, even if you use marijuana for ten years or more in many cases but long-term heavy use will eventually have it's adverse side effects on mental health.

Social Anxiety:
    https://www.drugabuse.gov/news-even...arses-comorbidity-cannabis-use-social-anxiety

OCD (and other):
    http://www.panicandanxiety.com/ther...e-rise-in-cannabis-use-and-anxiety-disorders/
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

For some people, Marijuana can exacerbate an existing mental illness. But as yet there's no conclusive evidence which proves that marijuana is bad for people dealing with mental illnesses.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000220

Overall, the body of scientific literature has not been able to provide a definitive answer as to whether cannabis use causes psychosis. Compelling arguments and data have been provided to suggest that those with a predisposition for mental illness can exacerbate those symptoms by using cannabis, however some fundamental questions remain.
  4. henry

henry Community Champion

I really don't know much about it, but I do know some people do get freaked out to the point of paranoia. I did have a friend who suffered from a mental illness, but he never told me what was it. He did a lot of coke, and one day he had none, so he asked me for some pot. Big mistake, because the guy really freaked out on me.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not in a medical field or something but based on what I have read before, marijuana use can cause hallucinations or can alter the mind. I also think that the effects of it could depends per person as we react on substances differently. The amount of use could also be a factor.
  6. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Continual use does worsen the problems. Especially for some people, they smoke it to try and relax but in the long-term it worsens their anxiety. If you are prone to paranoid tendencies and anxious patterns, look out, it may develop into a psychosis or something nasty like that, which alters you.
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

It's true that there is no definitive evidence. The research shows that psychosis due to marijuana use could be a result of already existing underlying genetic vulnerabilities. Additionally, those with higher rates of psychosis and/or schizophrenia tend to use marijuana more which is why they have been linked. However, the research is unclear. You can read more about it here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_and_psychosis
  8. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Okey guys I'm gonna share with you what I've learned during this month that I was smoking weed, cautiously and responsibly. my anxiety issues got worse, a little worse and I learnt that my life's better off without weed, et I'm struggling to quit a bit but not a problem to worry about...
  9. ChaseHayden

ChaseHayden Member

I've been under study of marijuana effects for the past 2 years, before legalization in my state (WA). There is no question the symptoms of anxiety are highlighted more than usual when you are under the influence of marijuana, but it's not an issue I think that is altering our brains, I think it is of the mind partially, I think this because they have yet to evaluate and prove completely that this is disrupting our nerve tissue in our brains.. When under the influence of marijuana, you are able to control your tendencies, and thoughts, in comparison to other drugs and alcohol. Marijuana does not disable you, it does not make you schizophrenic, it merely brings about a different awareness and brain process when THC is in the system.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It is a considerably delayed reaction. It will be difficult to pull up information like this other than just googling it. Just put into the search engine "marijuana : psychosis : neurosis : paranoia" I believe I heard someone say that behavior changes can take up to 4 years to manifest. It was a youtube video. It was some kind of under the radar government project.
    You will not really notice much in the current state of smoking it. Some people get the paranoia or isolation symptoms very quickly. I really don't care what people say about it in my experience that I've seen it takes 2-4 years to distort behavior and personality. I see someone said it doesn't cause schizophrenia. I beg to differ. Call it what you want there will be behavior changes and certainly does link to such bazaar behavior like schizophrenia. The majority will say you can't prove that. Ok so what else then? They have a chemical imbalance of the brain? Sorry but that is more of a bunch of non-sense than saying it was caused by marijuana. A chemical brain imbalance is some jargon that the FDA & psycho field has actually made up they have no scientific evidence or test to prove that. They make it up and vote on it.
    I'll bet the ranch that the majority of schizophrenics smoked pot within a 4 year period of their first episode. They call it an incubation period. There are a slew of chemicals in foods that certainly cause considerable mood changes as well.
    Amino21023: Your anxiety got worse. I know, am not surprised. Withdrawal and more than likely caused by it. Eat tons of fruit it will cut the anxiety and fuel the body.
  11. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

My brother is the living and breathing example on how smoking weed can go wrong. He only smoked for about a year maybe 2, and not every day. He ended up developing a bipolar disorder, depression, paranoia and the beginning stages of schizophrenia. He had to be institutionalized until his psychiatrist was able to bring chemical balance into his brain again. Even then, he has never been the same. I don't know, I don't think smoking weed is for everyone, but then how do you know if it will affect you?
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Many people simply look at the figures presented by researchers and they all desperately want to believe they'll be among those whom marijuana won't affect negatively. This is why I always caution people against using marijuana unless a doctor has prescribed it. There's no point in taking risks because unlike other risky ventures that might cost you money with marijuana abuse what's at stake is your health.
    MichelleVL likes this.
  13. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

You might feel good momentarily, but in the long run, I tend to agree with what others said before me: it does worsen mental conditions. I do personally have a friend whose life tends to go downhill the more he smokes marijuana (A bit of background: he was diagnosed with bipolarity). He does feel good temporarily, but when the effect ends, he wants more and more and more. His life revolves around marijuana consumption. Too bad for him, and even worse for me because I can't help. I feel so inapt.
    deanokat likes this.
  14. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I think if you're using it to run away from and hide from your problems, then that is problematic.