An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can't Do It?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Rainman, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

One of my neighbors is a chain-smoker. Spoke to him about his addiction and he said he can't stop smoking. He wasn't ready to even think about quitting because he believed it was impossible for him to stop smoking.

With this defeatist attitude how can you beat an addiction?

Has anyone here ever tried to help someone who believes they can't change? Are such people "lost causes?"
  2. LindaSuzanne

LindaSuzanne Active Contributor

My sister is like this. She is always banging on about how I should eat less fat and watch my diet more but if I mention the fact she is puffing away on 30 a day she will say "you've got to die of something!" I hate this expression.

She has tried to give up smoking many times before but says she enjoys it too much. No amount of me telling her it will knock years off her life, not to mention the risk of lung cancer, will put her off.

An addict has to really want to give up before they can succeed. I gave up when I became pregnant because I wanted my baby to be healthy and I never went back to smoking after. If your neighbour says he isn't ready then his willpower will not be strong enough. He needs a really good reason to give up, like if he gets very sick. Let's hope it doesn't come to this and he manages to find another good reason to give up before it happens.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I try to be as lenient as possible when I'm trying to convince people to quit smoking but sometimes that doesn't do any good. Some people just don't want help and think they're good as they are right now, they don't see the bigger picture. I give up on those people if they really don't understand, it's not worth wasting my energy for no reason.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's all a matter of persistence, really. Those people aren't lost causes. Maybe they're just slow on the uptake or less resilient compared to others. If the person is so important to me, I don't think I'd give up persuading him or her to change. I might even pursue a more forceful method just to get this person to change. Giving up will only make me regret later on why I did nothing to help a loved one when I had every chance to do so.
  5. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

It's so tempting when you're that person, to just say "Nope! I will put this in the too-hard basket!". It's so much easier to just not try and continue smoking.

It really is possible for absolutely anyone to quit, but it's definitely not easy. I can very much see the appeal of just avoiding trying. I think the important thing to remember is that even trying and failing is great! Even a week smokefree is better than a week of continuing to smoke!

I don't think anyone's a lost cause really. You never know what's going on inside someone's head - your neighbor might be very close to thinking "hmm I could give it a try" in a couple of months! People are so complex, you just never know :)