An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

can't stop smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by chaieb, Oct 25, 2014.

1. chaieb

chaieb Member

hi am 21 yearls old , 4 years ago i started smoking with the average of 4 cigarettes per day , but now i smoke one pack per day and i cant stop smoking , i tried many times to stop that but after two weeks i back , when i sit beside my smokers friends i cant stop my self to not smiking because i love thzt , but i know its bad to my health , this problem begin when i stopped playing in our locale volleyball team "etoile du sahel" so after i stopped doing sport activity i find my self having too free time , to learn things like smoking , i hope soon i will stop that !
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Cigarettes seem to be one of those things that are extremely hard to quit, or extremely easy to quit, and it does not seem to matter how many are smoked on a daily basis. Some struggle while others just don't seem too.

What techniques have you tried to quit? Gum? Patch? Cold Turkey? Reduction?
  3. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

Hi Chaieb ~

The good thing is that you do WANT to quit. Now the issue is getting a plan to quit for good. Kudos to you for wanting to quit!

It sounds like you need professional help. Can you make an appt with a doctor to talk about your options? He/she might be able to prescribe something to help with the cravings and more.

If you cannot afford to see a doctor right now, do you have a friend who has quit? Or at least a friend who does not smoke at all? If so, tell them that you want to quit and ask for the encouragement and support.

Figure up how much its costs you to pay for the cigs each month. Then, try to decide what you would like to spend the money on after you quit. It could be a professional massage, dinner out, move, entertainment, new clothes, whatever.

At the very least try to cut back.

I hope you can see a doctor soon. Good Luck!
  4. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

At least you see your smoking as a problem and seem to want to quit. Breaking the smoking habit is hard. I would try everything you can to stop. Each person is different and your road to stopping will be different from most others also. You have to really want to quit though. Going into it half hearted isn't going to work. Trust me I know, I tried to quit many times. Deep down I knew I wasn't ready and still wanted to smoke and always ended up going back to the cancer sticks. I tried gums and patches, but the only thing that has helped me is buying a Vape pen and slowly stepping down. I am at 3mg nicotine now and hope to be quit completely by years end. All I can say is good luck and to try everything you can to stop. You will feel so much better when you do quit.
  5. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

Smoking is probably up there in difficulty to quit when compared to other drugs like heroin and crack. I say this because I am a smoker and can't seem to quit for the life of me. I want to though, badly. People say the more realistic way to quit is to ween off of it by either-cigs or vaping. I have yet to try either as my nicotine fix is fierce, but it is willpower at the end of the day that makes or breaks us. And we have to be strong enough to prevail. One day, when it is your day, you will give it up, as I will. Just don't give up, ever.
  6. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

I started smoking when I was about 11 years old.

I was never really a constant smoker, more of a "casual" smoker, yet in every social gathering I would at least have a couple of cigarettes. The worst was when I was gaming online. Since you pretty much spend hours in front of a computer, it's easy to just light up a cigarette every now and then.

At some point in my life it became worse. I started smoking everyday at work to release some pressure, until I ended up having a pack of cigarettes on me all the time.

I quit smoking when I got married. Of course, it helps that my wife really hates cigarettes. But then I realized that all the new activities and responsabilities I ended up having took up much of my spare time. And at work, I just replaced the "going out to have a cigarette" with "playing an online game on my phone", which I have to say, it ends up becoming a bad habit as well...

...but that's not the point! If you want to quit smoking you should get married... just kidding. My real point is that you should find something to do in your spare time that doesn't mix with smoking. A sport is always good, but it could also be an indoor activity, that you're not able to go out for a smoke. It will also help surrounding yourself with people that doesn't like smoking.

All of this might or might not work for you, but I think a change of habits, and of course, a good dose of will and self-control will get you there. The fact is, it's possible. You can find many stories of people who quit smoking on the internet. Why not becoming one of them?
  7. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

How about getting back into sport and exercise. Then get yourself a pack of 10 instead of 20 and tell your mind that this is your pack now. Gradually cut it from 10 to 5 and then you will find once you can get down to 5 that you wont really want it that much anymore. Avoid places where your friends are smoking and by cutting down from 20 to 10 for one month then 10 to 5 another month you are allowing your body to get used to the idea.
  8. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

You know that your life is lacking activity, that is one of the first step of rehabilitation. Recognizing one's problem is not always very easy to do, so now that you have recognized yours you can start working on that area. Become more active in sports, exercise and also avoid being around your friends that smoke as much as you possibly can. Try to increase your intake gradually by reducing one per day etc. It is your health and life that is at risk, both my grandpas died from lung cancer and the one by my dad's side used to smoke it by the pack.
  9. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I must say that I also have a line of family that have been lost to lung cancer and yes, it is caused by smoking! My father and my partner now have to use a pump for shortness of breath after they quit smoking. So while you are still young, do it to avoid having something to help you breath in later life.
  10. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

First of all, you gotta find new friends. Or you need to make it clear to them that its hard for you to quit with them smoking around you. If they are true friends then they will understand and help you out. Second, you gotta find a hobbies or something you just love to do... not smoking. It takes time to quit smoking so make sure you do not quit cold turkey. You will actually have more relapses if you quit cold turkey.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Since you say that when you around your friends you just must light up, then the first step towards quitting would be to avoid being around your friends when they are smoking. Of course it might be hard at the start and your friends may not like it when you start staying away from them but it's your life and at times you must do what's best for you.
  12. LifeOrDeath

LifeOrDeath Member

Have you tried e-cigs? They are great alternatives to smoking and possess much less (if any) health risks. Try them and maybe introduce your friends to them too. That way you can keep your current friends and still get rid of your habit.

It's good that you want to quit. That's the first step. Now it's up to you to move forward even more!
  13. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

This is not going to be good because the amount of cigarettes that you smoked keep increasing. Probably you may try e-cigarettes to your hands busy to get rid of the habits. Actually, you may not want to smoke as you think but is get used to the habit of smoking.
  14. sadiemarie

sadiemarie Member

I am also in a similar situation. I use to smoke a few and now I smoke close to a pack a day. Have you ever considered trying to gradually cut back? Maybe something like one less per week. It is nearly impossible for me to quit smoking cold turkey. Reducing the amount that I smoke over time has helped me a great deal. Hopefully one day I will be able to quit all together.
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It sounds like you want ot stop and you recognize that it is bad for you. What you need to do is stop hanging out with your friends that smoke. You said it yourself that your friends influence you to smoke when you are around them. Time to get some new friends or just stay home.
  16. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

It's so hard to quit smoking, I only managed to because I have asthma and I literally could not breathe, so that was a huge incentive. Try to keep the mouth busy, maybe vaping?
  17. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

You just have to believe in yourself you can do it, trust me, there are some people who at some point of their lives, put down the cigarettes and never smokes again, I know few of them myself. I would recommend you to learn about quitting smoking through NLP as an ultimate try or reading a book, which many found useful ( I don't want to make free advertising, you can search on google about allan carr and his book on how to quit smoking, you can find the PDF online to read, so you won't spend any money on this).
  18. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Just try cutting back. A pack a day is a lot so I'd say just try and lower your cigarette count bit by bit until you get back to a lower number that you can manage, and from there you may have an easier time with eliminating it completely.
  19. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

It's not always like this, cutting back doesn't mean is less harmful to your body, it just means, that your body is addicted to a lower level of nicotine a day, which in theory, yes it should be easier to quit. But this is a solution that requires a lot of time, and as a smoker you don't have a year, to cut a cigarette every 2 weeks or so, you'll eventually quit trying after a time because maybe you had a hard day and you smoked more that you should've.
  20. Charli

Charli Community Champion

You're right, I guess the method isn't for everyone. I myself have always kept myself conscious of the amount of cigarettes I've been smoking and it's why I've never gone too overboard to the point of smoking packs a day so I guess it was easier for me.