An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

can't stop smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by chaieb, Oct 25, 2014.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

How much did it take you to cut back? You were cutting a cigarette a day or a week? Or you used some progression? How much time it's been since you smoke less?
  2. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

The first step to quitting is realizing that you WANT to help yourself. I quit smoking 3 years ago and I have never felt better/healthier. It was hard for me to quit but I had a wonderful support system and that is what helped me get through.
    I started by cutting back. I went from smoking half a pack a day to 6 cigarettes a day. I smoked 6 a day for about a month when I finally got tired of leading myself on and I quit cold turkey. It was hard for the first week but I would never turn back now.
    I wish you success!
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Hi chaieb, am really sorry for your predicament,but all the same am going to tell you some hard facts. You started smoking at 17 and four years down the line,you're still trapped in that dreadful habit.First you'll need to change your circle of friends since it seems they are drawing you back and they are a bad influence to you.Engage in some meaningful activity like sports so i suggest you resume your training in volleyball since an idle mind is the devil's workshop and most importantly focus your mind because it's only you who can decide to stop since there's nothing as powerful as your mind.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I didn't have any rigid set of goals. I just sort of decided to cut back one day and I did and it's been that way ever since. I basically just did what I was comfortable with and in fact the only reason why I'm still smoking the few each day that I do is because I'm still comfortable with it, but if I someday feel motivated again to cut down even further then I will just do so. Like I said though, I've always known I'll eventually need to cut down and deal with it ever since I started so it's much easier for me to decide since I've always sort of been limiting myself to begin with anyway. Had I not been conscious from the start I probably would have easily gotten to the point of smoking nearly a pack a day, which would have probably been much harder to cut down on.

To answer your question, I was smoking about 9-10 sticks average for about 10 years and when I decided to cut down the next day I just started to schedule my smoking time throughout the day and was able to cut down my intake to 4-5 a day and I was able to shift my habit into that, now going for about a year. Sometime next year I'm hoping to get to 2-3 a day or if I get more into vaporizers I may be able to completely eliminate it.
  5. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Just be sure that you won't smoke more again, it's an easy way back there, believe me I've tried to cut until I couldn't help myself no more. There were a lot of people who were smoking around me and I was allowed to have only 3 cigarettes a day, I thought **** that, let's smoke.
  6. ImMrCuriosity

ImMrCuriosity Member

First things first. You recognized that smoking is bad for your health. And you decided that you would like to stop smoking. You even tried it, but you failed. That's okay, you're actually trying to quit smoking, now you have to be persistent. Take the money which you would buy a pack of cigarettes and put it into a moneybox. And try to buy nicotine patches or chewing gums. You can't kick that habit, we all know that. You just need willpower. Don't give up on the goal that you have proposed to yourself.
  7. kita

kita Member

I've been smoking for ten years and cannot quit. I've tried, but haven't succeeded yet. It is really difficult and if I'm honest with myself, I do not want to stop just yet. One tip I can give you if you're ready to quit is exercise.
  8. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

That is the main thing kita, if you don't want to quit, you'll never quit. You need to find a strong reason inside yourself to make it happen or else you'll never make it.
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It is really hard to cut back if you are one of those people that is usually a pack a day smoker. You have that pack of cigarettes staring at you all day. I used to try to cut back by only carrying 10 cigarettes on me when I went to work. The problem that I had was that I would have a particulary stressful day and go thorugh the 10 before it was time to go home and I would get grouchy or just go to the store and buy another pack.
  10. kita

kita Member

: 107"]That is the main thing kita, if you don't want to quit, you'll never quit. You need to find a strong reason inside yourself to make it happen or else you'll never make it.[/QUOTE]

You are right. Just thinking about it, the only reason I'd ever quit is if I fall pregnant or have children. Once my habit affects someone else negatively, that's when I will feel motivated enough to kick it all together. If I was lucky enough to resign my stressful job, I would also quit, but for now it helps me cope with the pressure.
  11. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

That's why I quit smoking in the first place, I had health issues so that was a strong motivation to me. Not too bad if you'll quit if you are pregnant, intoxicating a child is something really selfish to do.
  12. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

My mother in law smoked 3 packs a day for about 30 years, one day they raised the price of cigarettes and she decided it wasn't worth it, she stopped buying them, and hasn't had one in 10 years. You have to decide that enough is enough.
  13. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

Good that you have an intention to quit. Now you just need to keep trying till you succeed. Not so easy. I have been trying for the past 10 years without succeeding but I am just an occasional smoker. The theory says you have to find the triggers and avoid them. For example, if you feel like smoking when you meet your friends at the park (just theorizing), then do not meet them at the park. If that does not work, then do not meet them. If you feel like smoking after a meal, try some thing like taking a chocolate instead or something like that or make sure you just walk straight to your work place or some task so that you will forget about smoking..