An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can't the US just make cocaine legal?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by hollowbackerdale, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Can't the US just make cocaine legal? I mean, people will be able to sneak them in the country any way -- it's pointless. I feel like that life will be easier once they can freely travel to the US with coke in their hands, without hiding it everywhere.
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Something like cocaine is not subjected to be legal in the US. It is illegal in other countries, so even if the US made it legal here, these people who freely enter airports with it, would be spending a few years in a Mexican or Columbian prison for having it. While it is legal in America, the fines would go up since there would be no treaty. So, you would need maybe a quarter million to get out of a Columbian prison and Mexico would step up their arrest for fines of Americans from the drug user country caught with drugs in their country. Because, America would be saying they don't mind people having drugs who may enter Mexico
  3. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Why in the world would the United States legalize cocaine? Is there something I don't know about? And even if it were legal don't you think TSA would confiscate it at the airport? I have no idea where this idea came from or where it's going to lead, but the thought of legalizing cocaine, as far as I know, has no bearing in reality.
    stariie likes this.
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

The US could legalize coke, but it would have to abrogate a number of international drug control treaties to do so.

Even if the country wanted to deal with the harm caused by cocaine, which it does not.
  5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Let's just legalize everything then, murder, rape, theft, ya know, give everybody what they want.
    Then we will be no different than than the dark ages or third world countries in which freedom is not valued.
  6. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Big no! The legalization would bring in a huge market of cocaine starting and that would start a huge epidemic. Not a good idea at all. The ban wouldn't necessarily get rid of cocaine entirely, but helps a lot!
  7. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Well then , go start a third party group and propose your idea to those conformist liberals. They're already making weed legal.
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Any government around the world can make legal cocaine or any other drug or substance of abuse, but the point is not about making it legal or not, but how people are going to take it.

Okay, let's make all illegal drugs to be legal now, and the you will find people doing them just out of curiosity or freely if they are already addicted to them.

This might resolve the drug mafia problem, but will trigger a major health issue because, being out control, resources to attend addicts won't be enough.

Overtime the initial hype to do drugs once legal may lessen, but it may take one or two generations before people accept them in the way they accept today cigarettes and wine.

You can't see the whole crazy for drinking in excess or smoking excessively because these products have left behind the early days when they were forbidden. Same may happen with drugs but only in the long run.
  9. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I find that making illegal substances legal just makes it a dangerous place for those who are not involved in drugs. They are now exposed to it when they chose not to be and it is also a ticket for the dealers to walk freely and make more money and why should this be allowed?
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Do you not realize that it already was legal in the US at one time? And look what happened back then! It was outlawed and made illegal for very good reasons. Legalizing a drug like cocaine would be an incredibly stupendous and detrimental thing for a country like the US to do.
  11. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

In truth, if they wanted it legal, they'd make it legal. Drugs being legal or not never had anything to do with our health or what's morally correct. It has everything to do with whether or not they can profit from it. Weed is becoming legal now because they can tax it. Alcohol legalization after prohibition happened because they found a way to tax it. See where I'm going with this?
  12. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Because there are lots of addicts and dealers. Making it legal would leave them unpunished and there will be more and more users over time. Also, it will make abusing cocaine look like a normal thing (it will be seen like smoking I guess). Why would the US do this?
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Although I see where you're coming with this idea, you don't think long-term. Legalizing it would first and foremost breach international treaties, so it isn't feasible from this point of view and will never be, and secondly it would create national tensions which you don't probably imagine....
  14. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

This is actually a very interesting conversation, and it is NOT as simple as most people think.
    Someone above posted that at one time cocaine was legal in the states. While this is true, the science and chemistry of it's production has changed. It is now a lot stronger and deadlier. The leaves of the Coca plant are often chewed legally in South America, but the amount of cocaine you actually get is more like drinking a cup of tea than smashing a fat line of the garbage.

There are just so many points about this conversation that I don't think I can fit them all here!
    It seems most of you are against legalization and continuation of the status-quo, so I am going to play Devils Advocate and make a few points for legalization and the end of cocaine prohibition. (Personally in the grand scheme of things I am against the idea, but it is really not as simple as "Drugs are bad, make them illegal!")

Tax Revenue - Lots of $$ to be gained for the state, that money can be put back into the health care system or mechanism to fight addiction. Also SO MUCH $$ is used to enforce drug laws and to maintain the prison population. So we are literally wasting money to keep money in the hands of criminals.
    Loss of Criminal Revenue - Criminals profit when something is made illegal, so they make money from the production and sale of cocaine. They then reinvest that money into things like human trafficking and weapons smuggling. Making a drug legal switches the revenue stream from criminals to companies.
    Public Health - Cocaine is often adulterated and the stuff the criminals put into it it just plain awful. If it was a regulated and controlled product then there would be less public health risks associated with it. Yes I know it's the fault of the users, but we all have to pay the price for it. Also when something is illegal its driven underground, and getting help is harder to do, since admission of cocaine use and possession results in incarceration.
    Corruption and Organized Crime - The cocaine prohibition has really hurt innocent people. Mexico is practically a failed state because of it, Columbia also suffered a lot. Even those who are supposed to enforce the law have been drawn into the trade (Remember when the CIA was caught trafficking cocaine?)
    The War on Drugs is a Complete and Utter Failure - By every single metric available, the war on drugs has failed it's mandate. Use, deaths and addiction rates have only increased. More people are in jail than ever for drug charges. The strength of drugs has increased and the price has decreased. Organized crime has made more money year over year. The government spends more money on the war than ever, without any tangible evidence they are getting any return on investment for those funds.
    Portugal and Colorado - These two places are starting to adopt a more modern approach, and the preliminary data is promising. Portugal has decriminalized small possession of drugs, and the rates of usage have actually decreased. Colorado made weed legal and usage rates have not really increased, and the state is making money hand over foot.
  15. mercshe

mercshe Member

Legalizing such drug is ever immoral, in that sense it's a NO! First we know the deteriorating effects of drugs, even if taken once, they could be very fatal. Cocaine can cause brain damage as well as alter the normal body metabolism. It is a poison and is never safe for people's sake. So, for the government to legalize poison for consumption, it seems pretty counter-intuitive to me. And I know most American citizens wont allow legalization of cocaine drugs or any other type of drugs.
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

So you think that by legalizing cocaine Americans are going to get over the hype and once they get used to the drug they'll start ignoring it, therefore decreasing the number of users? I cannot see the logic, really. Perhaps this will help:

[​IMG]
  17. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Legalising drug use brings more crime and more dealers into the open. Yes sharing needles can be prevented in some parts but who wants to have their children exposed to a park full of users and floating needles in ponds. Instead of legalising drugs they should create and spend more money on rehab facilities that are helpful to the users to get better.
  18. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I think if it gets legalised it is going to be creating more crime indirectly, think of the alternation and what it would do to the brain, it is not the way to go. It's absolutely destructive to society and even for people's health.
  19. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I seriously hope they never legalize these types of drugs. They are illegal for a reason. These are very dangerous drugs, I know people who have died from using it.
  20. 6up

6up Community Champion

Only when the positive side is discovered. Cocaine is not illegal just because it is a drug, but because it is harmful to our bodies and minds. There is reason for a government to legalise drugs that may kill you. Laws are there to protect us, not to harm us.