An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can't the US just make cocaine legal?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by hollowbackerdale, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Such measure will destroy productivity and encourage large scale addiction. The economy will collapse and the country will have to endure catastrophic consequences. Any society will frame rules and regulations for a cause and we should never transgress them.
  2. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Cocaine is an incredibly dangerous substance that is rightfully illegal. Not just in the United States but also the rest of the world. Yes, people find ways to smuggle cocaine and other illegal drugs all the time. But most of us are law-abiding and fear the law enough not even attempt drug smuggling.
  3. jteezymob

jteezymob Member

Cocaine is very addictive. Plus it isn't hard to take too much, if you have the cash. I know people who have had some really bad nights from having WAY too much. They couldn't see or move and could barley hear anything. The reasons for drugs being illegal are usually very interesting and obscure. I don't know about this one. Also, it will be cheaper if it is made legal and people need to make huge amounts from it because they don't have the same chances as the CEOs of corporate America.
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It is situationally legal. Medical use, they put it in prescription drugs. Controlled substance add-on. Sneak it in? I took a flight, international, I two large bags of a white powder. They didn't care. Did not check it and certainly didn't arrest me. I had it in my carry on. Plain sight just went right through customs. Lol, it was vitamins. It certainly looked like a bag of drugs.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think that after years of vilifying cocaine the US could never legalize it. All ready the US is getting tongue lashed for legalizing recreational marijuana use after it deemed it public enemy number one in the 1980s. If they legalized cocaine, we might cut the drug lords off by the knees but I believe that would just make the streets even worse. Look at alcohol and how many deaths there are. Can you imagine cocaine being thrown in the mix as well? Or how about Crystal Meth? Throw that in there as well and watch it get really bad.
  6. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Why would you want a drug to be legalized? Don't you know about the consequences of taking it? Do you know how many people are addicted to cocaine? Think!
  7. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Cocaine isn't the same as weed, it's much more detrimental to people's health and happiness. And, as many others have pointed out, we'd be violating a lot of treaties and agreements with other countries. I wouldn't be in favor of legalizing it.
  8. shenika

shenika Member

cocaine in a very strong and dangerous drug to be legal, a lot more people will die from over using this drug and a lot of drug lords will increase they shipping and take advance of the system. I also believe they will be a lot crimes since they are already a lot of crimes that are associated with the drug.
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

There are too many negative consequences of the drugs which will not let it become legal and it is a danger as many get sucked in, and lose their lives or families in the process of the drugs and money is lost as well. Cocaine is harmful and the bad outweighs the good and we would have even young people consuming the drug and this would lead society changing and letting things go out of hand. The health system will need to spend more money and also, crime will increase, and the streets will be unsafe for people to walk in and can be scary as well if this is allowed by the law.
  10. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Of course the U.S. could make cocaine legal, but they have no grounds to do so. What benefit would legalizing cocaine do for the country as a whole? Certainly none have been found so far. In the case of marijuana, it can be used as a pain killer. If we use cocaine, it is very dangerous and could cause the person to become addicted to it. Also, cocaine would be more readily available since it is legalized and people would not have to worry about being arrested for trading it.
  11. Rex

Rex Community Champion

I totally agree with you. All substances, objects and goods should be legal. The war on drugs was lost the second it was waged
  12. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well the government could make it legal but that would only lead to more young people trying cocaine and getting addicted because they think that if it is legal then it is safe for their use. The government would have to spend billions more to treat people with cocaine addictions and overdose.
  13. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I do not agree that Coke should be legal in the United States. Some states have crossed the line by making marijuana legal and coke is even worse than that. There are some drugs that people should have to deal with the pain of hiding when they are bringing it around or using it, and even face prison time if caught. We would not want a country full of coke heads.
  14. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Tax Revenue - Do you really think the money generated from taxing cocaine would go to treating addicts?? The taxes on cigarettes have already proven that point into the ground. None of that goes towards helping people quit smoking. Here in Cleveland nearly all of it went towards building a baseball stadium, which quite frankly the sports teams should have payed for themselves. That's like asking taxpayers to fund the construction of a Nordstrom's, while the company takes all the profits for themselves. And, no, the stadium doesn't drive a boost in local businesses near it either - which has also been studied and proven wrong. In fact, on game days, the congested traffic and mayhem around the stadium drives away patrons from the local businesses near it. Taxing addicts is a sleazy way to make money off of their addictions, and it's no better than what the drug dealers themselves are doing. The government doesn't really want people to quit smoking all together - despite putting on a front by banning it in public places - if that cash cow were to dry up on them, they would be freaking out. They're as addicted to the revenue stream from smoking as smokers are to their cigarettes.

Loss Of Criminal Revenue - There will still be a black market for cocaine. Oxycontin is legal, but there is still a black market for it as well, and all the criminal activity that comes along with it.

Public Health - Our health care system in this country already sucks. There are millions of people forgoing treatment for a multitude of illnesses because they cannot afford it, or are being bankrupted by skyrocketing medial costs because they are without insurance. The "war on drugs" was a disaster on many fronts, but currently, it *is* relatively difficult to get access to cocaine on a regular basis due to it's illegal status. If it became as readily available as cigarettes, there would be a tremendous spike in people abusing it and becoming addicted far more than there is now. Would insurance companies even cover treatment for this in the first place? Probably not. And although street cocaine is heavily cut, that also means it's heavily diluted - could you imagine of readily available pure cocaine was accessible? What's the lesser of two evils, some cocaine cut with asparin, dextrose and epsom salt, or pure cocaine that is like 100x stronger?

Corruption and Organized Crime - Again, if cocaine is legal, how will it be distributed? If it's sold like cigarettes, you can bet stores will be getting broken into left and right with people stealing it. If it's sold under a prescription, you can bet there will be a black market for it just like Oxycontin and Vicodins. How will it be priced? If it's ridiculously expensive, as the states that have legalized marijuanna have made legal weed, then it becomes out of reach for lower middle class people to buy. So only the rich folks can afford it and hence stay out of jail, while the poorer populations will continue to be targeted and jailed for illegal possession of it, and for stealing it because they cannot afford it.

Portugal and Colorado - This thread was mainly about legalizing cocaine specifically, which is entirely different from legalizing weed. I'm in favor of legalizing weed (though I don't agree how it's been handled, particularly in terms of the cost of it), but I really don't know if legalizing cocaine is a better option than not legalizing it. Once your hooked on that crap, the laws don't matter to you. You don't care if it's legal or not, you just want it regardless. It doesn't matter if you're jailed over it or not to keep you away from it, because if you have regular access to it instead, you will become just as much of a detriment to society anyhow in so many other ways. Who is going to food the bill for all the cocaine addicts going to emergency for overdoses, with no insurance?
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  15. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

Even as a user, I'd never want cocaine to be legal. I've watched it tear apart families, end friendships, and kill people. Yes, there are plenty of legal things that do that as well, but I don't think those things should be legal either.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

GREAT! Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to what I wrote.
    Just goes to show you how many details are in this subject and this debate, it's not simple or straightforward.
    I think cocaine should remain illegal, but wanted to respond to your points:

Tax Revenue: That's a sorry state of affairs that they decided to misuse public funds to benefit sports fans. If that's your frame of reference then I understand why you might think that way. Just know that not all jurisdictions play fast and loose with public funds, there are many success stories outside of the USA. Just look into other G8 smoking rates to see government programs to curb smoking, or putting tax money from smokers into reduction campaigns have worked well.

Criminal Revenue: Profits from distribution pale in comparison to profits made from manufacture. When you remove parts of the supply chain, then you still hit organized crime in the pockets. Sure criminals will find ways to make money, but that doesn't mean they can't be hurt by removing area's where they make a killing.

Public Health: It's not difficult to obtain cocaine. I was a heavy user for years, never had an issue getting my hands on it. The legal status does nothing to curb availability, in fact at times it's EASIER to get illegal drugs then legal ones. The bar cuts me off at 2 am, drugs dealers are 24/7.
    I don't think people don't do cocaine because it's illegal, I think they don't do it because it's dangerous. I highly doubt you would see huge movements in usage just because it became legal, I have more faith in people then that.
    Also who's to say that legal cocaine would be 100% pure? Alcohol is legal, but you can't go out and buy 100% alcohol, the highest I have ever seen was 151 Proof. Legal coke would be the same, they would put restrictions on how strong it could be. Finally street cocaine is cut with some really nasty stuff, it's not just harmless stuff like what you describe. The following is a great write up on the subject
    http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-cash-is-in-the-cut

Corruption and Organized Crime: Those are some really great points that I had not considered. I agree.

Portugal: Perhaps Portugal has the best way forward, I encourage everyone to read up on them. They have decriminalized possession of all drugs. This way they can still arrest the real criminals, and provide help to the addicts.
    You know what happened? Use, addiction, overdoses, hospitalizations, crime ect ect related to drugs went DOWN.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is a really bad idea. Some states have legalized marijuana but that is much less dangerous than cocaine. Cocaine is highly addictive and can impair peoples judgment a great deal. This will not make life easier here at all.
    Would you want your kids school teacher to have a coke habit. Lets get real.
  18. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

Let's NOT make one of the most dangerous drugs there is legal. It's one of the worst drugs someone can use. Making it legal would be a horrible idea.
    stariie likes this.
  19. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Who's to say that the teacher already doesn't have one?
    Do we all really believe people don't do drugs simply because they are outlawed, or on the other side do you think people will just rush out and start putting coke into them because it's legal?
  20. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

What I don't think people who have never used realize is that if you want it badly enough, you're going to do it whether it's legal or not. If you want pot, coke, meth, heroine... you're going to find a way to get it. Whether or not it's legal isn't going to change that.

For the places that have legalized marijuana, I doubt tons of people who didn't smoke before are suddenly deciding to do it just because it's legal. The same for cocaine if it became legal (which it wouldn't because of the high overdose rate and things like that). You don't just wake up one day and decide to do something like that just because you can.