An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can't the US just make cocaine legal?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by hollowbackerdale, Jun 11, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I don't think the US will ever legalize a drug that is so detrimental to health. Legalization would increase use, and it is one thing to legalize pot that has a number of medicinal benefits and is not that strong, coke is in a completely different category.
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Make cocaine legal because people sneak it in anyway? The US in many ways is like free for all I don't think legalizing cocaine will make it any better. Just because some people do illegal things we should just legalize it because they will do it anyway. Lol, this is how societies slip to begin with when morals and laws begin to slide. I guess it makes for interesting post conversation that's about it.
  3. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I doubt that will happen, not anytime soon that is. If there are already a relatively large amount of cocaine users, taking into account the difficulty it is to obtaining, the amount of consumers of cocaine would skyrocket. Not only that but cocaine is a hard drug, if they haven't legalized a softer drug like marijuana then cocaine really doesn't have a chance.
  4. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

Cocaine is too dangerous a drug to be localized. At least marijuana has some positives to it (see: medicinal marijuana), but coke is too harmful. The plant itself might be alright, but the coke drug itself is just way too dangerous and should NOT be legalized.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I already shared solid, verifiable facts at an earlier post in this thread so why some people still insist on making cocaine legal is really beyond me. A harmful substance should not be legalized. It's like you're giving people the leeway to become the worst versions of themselves.
  6. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I don't think the US should make cocaine legal because it will do more harm than good. Marijuana does good because it has medicinal properties, sure people abuse it, but it is still medicine for a lot of people who need it.
  7. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I agree with some of the posters here. I haven't even thought about how could the US make coke legal and then have to deal with other things like treaties. Just because a few people manage to break the law by smuggling drugs doesn't mean we should give up the fight let people fend for themselves on drugs since it would be "legal".
  8. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

When I first came across this post, I thought you were joking. Please, do not take offense, however, I think most people are aware of the many negative impacts cocaine has, with zero positive aspects for our health. Cocaine has so many negative health effects, not to mention detrimental effects on families, and can cause death. Why would the U.S. legalize it? Also, who is to say that the countries in which it is legal are safer than the U.S.? I would beg to differ. Furthermore, people will always break the law, no matter what it is, however, we can still attempt to keep families and neighborhoods safe by cracking down on individuals who break those laws.
  9. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

Exactly. Either enormous taxpayer funds devoted to law enforcement, the justice system, and prisons for keeping drugs illegal, or enormous taxpayer funds devoted to hospitals and the health care industry for keeping users alive. Drugs will cost us one way or the other.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Why do you want to legalize cocaine anyway? USA is already facing a lot of substance abuse issues, and it could get even worse if people are allowed to use it. I am already dreading that event.
  11. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

With that kind of mentality, we might as well make everything legal. I can find meth in all sorts of places and honestly, it's pretty readily available. If you're not looking for something, you can be completely oblivious to how readily available it actually is. If you want cocaine to be legalized due to it being easy to access, you might as well legalize every drug.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I have more faith in people than this.
    I don't think people will just start running out and doing it simply because they can.
    I think that people who do coke could care less about the laws, and I think that people who don't do it don't do it because it's bad for them not because it's illegal.
  13. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Although I do see the very hidden point of your statement, that of "people react the opposite of what you tell them to do", it's still an unfounded proposition. Making cocaine legal would probably kill the black market in the process, but it will also increase the murder and suicidal rates because it's a very high-risk drug that should never be let commercialized anywhere. I'm very much against this offer!
  14. xeylonfm

xeylonfm Member

National laws are made after careful analysis and I am very certain that the US government has considered all these drugs before they can be legalized. Did you know that coffee was illegal in the 1500s! Yes because it wasn’t fully understood and analysis placed it on the right side of the law. That is the same debate that goes with Khat! Cocaine has however been classified as a hard drug, harder than marijuana. From a purely scientific view, the effects that cocaine can deal an individual are far more deadly than what marijuana can deal the same individual. On the other hand, addiction rate is higher on the cocaine rate than it is on the marijuana side. So what does this tell you? That if cocaine was legalized, we would lose many Americans to drugs at a faster rate than marijuana can reach. That is unless cocaine can be toned down in national laboratories to something less toxic. With all these facts weighing in on cocaine, we are light years from legalizing it.
  15. dkelly

dkelly Active Contributor

There have been so many excellent answers to this post. It is so controversial to suggest such a thing and people get so offended by thought. My biggest problem with the idea is that there is nothing beneficial about cocaine. Now someone could argue that everyone has a right to choose what they do with their life and this is okay as long as it does not infringe on my rights as well. Cocaine causes all kinds of social problems. It is inevitable and that is why it should not ever be legal.