An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Caring people

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rosyrain, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Are there people in your life who just really lift your spirits when you talk to them? Perhaps it is a long lost friend or a sweet neighbor? I think it is important to have people like this in your life when you are going through recovery so that you have something to look forward to.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I used to have those kind of friends who were always there for me when I needed their help, but now we have drifted apart. But it's all good anyway, since I don't really require the advice and moral support of others when I have a problem.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am really blessed, and grateful to have such amazing friends who always brighten up my days. And there's also someone special in my life who truly brings out the best in me. These awesome people are the ones who motivate me to become a much better person.
  4. 6up

6up Community Champion

Everybody needs encouragement but in my society addicts are always neglected. They are seen as hopeless people who can never manage any project. That happened to me one time. My brothers separated themselves from me and I can remember how they talked bad of me. That made me nearly kill myself, but here I am just going on strong.
  5. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

That person is my mom, especially now that im an adult I realize how awesome she is.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There are some people who when they are around you, it doesn't really matter whether they say anything comforting or not. Their presence just makes you happy. I had such people in my life when I needed them most. One of them was my niece and the other someone who everyone else who was treated as an outcast because they thought she'd done some really bad things but they were wrong about her. These two offered me all the support I needed when I needed it.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It use to be my mom but now that she passed I really have nobody like that in my life. I deal with things alone. There in nobody that I feel that closeness to or that I trust enough to let my guard down with. I am glad I found this group because this is the place where I have found the comfort and support that I needed.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Having people like that in your life is a blessing but a lot of the time I think people take others for granted.

When things are going well it's easy to forget the people that are there through the bad, and it's only then when we realise we're lucky they're still there.
  9. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

Someone actually said that about me. I did not realize how inspiring my words were. They were not even intended to exactly motivate. But I just realised that I speak in a motivational way most of the times.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  10. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

Most of the world's encouragers are moms. Most of the dads are either in prison or dead. Why is it that it seems women are stronger?
  11. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

I am glad you found this group as well. The memory of your mom still lives on with you because of the impact that she made on your life. She will always have that space in your heart and I am sure you can find somebody else who can equally encourage you as well.
  12. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Such people really do exist. I vouch for it. They might be a rare kind but if you're lucky enough to become a part of their entourage, you know you're in for good times. I only know a handful of people that fit the description. That's why I do my best to keep them by my side. I wouldn't want to lose them as friends.
  13. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

I found out I don't have a lot of friends, especially best friends. Friends not only share the same goals as you but have admirable qualities and virtues that you believe will add to the value of your life. I only find a very few people in my life who are true friends.
  14. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

Yes I've seen it a lot. People who got help from us becoming successful and going overseas, completely forgetting us. I'm so glad that we were not doing it for the reward, but were helping them from our hearts
  15. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Yes I have a few friends who are like that. Always encouraging me to do better and to be better. And they are not "yes" men, agreeing with me only to make me feel better. They tell it like it us so I can get a reality check. These are the types of people I like to be and surround myself with.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that's the main thing you have to remember, your doing it to help that person because they need you, your doing it for your own good and for what you can get out of it.

If they can return the favour in the future then fine, if they can't it's not an issue and certainly not a reason to stop helping people.
  17. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It is a great feeling when you can be the ray of sunshine in someone's life, especially when you are not even trying to be. If I could make one person smile each day my world would be a perfect place.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah this is true. The good friends that lift your spirits. I spoke with two of them today. One in text. Another probably later. They are good people who have this light around them and they spread it.
    Even if you just talk to them they certainly give you some sunshine. The best thing probably is to do your best to be like them in your own way. Being the other way doesn't help anyone with anything.
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I have a few friends like that, who are just a delight to be around. Tonight, I actually spent time with one of those friends. We worked on a couple of craft projects together and just chatted and had some tea while we worked on stuff. Sounds simple, but her company is just so lovely that the simplest tasks are some of the most fun!
  20. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Yes, I have such friends, and I am really thankful for them. They brighten up my day whenever I talk to them or see their smile. It's like some kind of superpower, ha ha. To make people happy only by existing. That is something to be proud of.