An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cat or Charlie

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by tasha, May 11, 2015.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

This drug is common and found anywhere around the world, also known as crack cocaine - the poor mans cocaine.
    Methcathinone was synthesised in Germany in 1928 and comes from the Cathula Edulis plant found in Africa and the Arabian peninsula.
    It was used in Russia as an anti depressant and then moved on to becoming a recreational drug.
    Many drug companies tried to use it as a weight loss aid and anti depressant but the dangers out weighed the potential health benefits and research was abandoned.
    The effects of the drug last for 4 hours and they are;
    Euphoria
    increased alertness
    rapid breathing
    dilated pupils
    Negative and long term effects;
    Paranoia
    hallucinations
    anxiety followed by depression
    tremors and convulsions
    stomach pains
    nausea
    bleeding nose and destruction of nasal tissue
    elevated blood pressure, heart rate
    body aches
    permanent brain damage
    death
    It is a highly addictive drug and can begin to be addictive within days of use. It can be inhaled, snorted or injected and the effects can be fatal.
    If you do see someone you love using this and letting you know that it is a herb, do not believe it as this addiction is very difficult to treat with very sad conclusions.
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I have no idea what substance you're supposed to be describing here. "Poor man's coke" is a name given to amphetamine (Speed) which is derived from Khat. M-Cat (or Meow Meow) is a name given to Mephedrone, a cathinone which is also derived from Khat. Crack is a more expensive form of cocaine which is not related to Khat at all and comes from the leaves of the coca plant. Most cocaine users cannot afford to use crack unless they are very rich which is why most cocaine addicts stick to normal standard powdered cocaine (hydrochloride). The band Oasis are a perfect example; it was only when they started smoking crack that they ended up spending £25K a week on the stuff!
  3. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Awareness to these things will save people on earth. One of the things they try it is because they don't know anything about it. Curiosity kills the cat.
  4. tasha

Another name for the drug is methcathinone, and it is called the poor mans cocaine is because it is a powder form and you can do whatever you choose with it. Khat is the plant and mephedrone is a confusion found on the wikepedia pages as this is not what the drug is it is a substance in many drugs.
    The truth about this drug and the reason I am writing about it is because it is bad news and nobody really cares about the technical term, they care about avoiding it altogether or watching the signs for those who are using.
    It is a bad drug to get involved in and I have recently been councilling many teens and young adults that cannot get off the stuff even after months of forced rehab.
  5. tasha

I like the pun! Curiosity can kill the cat in this case as it is a bad news drug that is addictive as heroine. So many young kids are getting this stuff and I am watching many of them just fade away into an empty nothing. No amount of therapy or help can save them once they have been on it for so long, there is no coming back from it.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

These sort of drugs which are made with simple substances, as it can cause problems and also the body can suffer real badly from taking it and trying to overcome it can be a challenge. The young ones may have peer pressure, or they can think it is not a problem and too late to turn back when they get the stage of real problems than they can ruin the life and others around them. Young people need better role models in their life and also, need to be shown that drugs is not the way and can lead to ruin and also need to have a good environment as well.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When you talk about any drug, you'll usually get a variant. A sort of a side drug that can be a bit cheaper, or that's been cut with something different.

As people already know though, these can often lead to even more damaging consequences.
  8. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

The name does not matter. Reading through the list of side effects should scare the life out of anyone! I hope that I never have to deal with anyone who is addicted to this drug, it seems really awful, but then which drug is not!
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I'm sorry but you are misinformed. This information isn't accurate at all. I have been familiar with these types of substances for nearly two decades now and also have experience with all of them. Methcathinone is not "poor man's cocaine" or crack cocaine, it is very closely related to Meth(amphetamine), whereas amphetamine is known as "poor man's coke" and has nothing to do with cocaine or crack. Methcathinone is partially synthesized from (pseudo)ephedrine. I can tell you that the information on Wikipedia about Mephedrone (MCat) is absolutely, undeniably and unequivocally not a result of "confusion". Mephedrone was a popular legal high in the UK until recently.
  10. tasha

Perhaps overseas it is called something else but for us who work in the drug rehabilitation centres, it is called what I have stated here. Let us have no confusion as we are just talking about the drug "Cat" which is the most popular and most used drug in South Africa. This is for people to recognise the symptoms and seek help for those who display systems of the drug so that they can be helped before it is too late, not a "pissing contest" just facts to help see the signs.
    Mephedrone and methcathinone are similar but not the same.
    https://news.vice.com/article/the-p...at-is-gaining-huge-popularity-in-south-africa