An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Causes for Alcoholism Other than Peer Pressure?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Aescopri, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Okay, we've already established that peer pressure is one of the leading causes of alcoholism—fitting in and getting used to drinking it day after day, forming a habit. Here's the thing: what are some other causes of alcoholism?
    Chakra8 and Eashow10 like this.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am looking forward to the replies to this post because I wonder the same thing. Some people drink because of problems in their lives. They drink to numb the pain and to try and forget whatever it is. Drinking to forget usually doesn't work though but they use that an an excuse.
  3. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I would imagine people like the effects of alcohol and continue to drink it. I think if alcohol didn't get people drunk that there wouldn't be many alcoholics.
  4. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Self-medication is a big one. In fact I would say that the biggest drinkers I knew tended to drink for that reason, rather than peer pressure. It’s not healthy, but there it is.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Stress and a bad relationship. Those were my reasons for drinking so much. You get so caught up on the world and your love life that when goes bad you turn to the bottle to numb you. That's what I did for years. To be honest that was my only means of escape.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I actually personally find that alcoholism is preponderantly caused by family issues rather than peer pressure. Cigarettes are the ones which are most often found amongst those who have been forced at some point of their life.

So you've got your answer from my perspective: personal and family issues.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Trauma is a big cause of any addiction.
    Past trauma on ones life causes emotional scaring, which can lead to self medication via alcohol and other drugs.
    It's important to seek out professional help if you have some baggage from your past.
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

In my opinion, depression is the number one cause for alcoholism. We all know about those intolerable situations that we're always trying to escape from. To put it in simpler terms, alcohol makes you feel good when you're feeling bad, and that's advertised all over the world, so, it's no secret to anyone, not even to the non-drinker.
  9. Marie92

Marie92 Active Contributor

Many people begin drinking because they want to try it, but they may start relying on it when problems arise. Genetics as well as environmental factors can also play a role in alcoholism.
  10. 6up

6up Community Champion

It comes as a result of being stressed. One can be stressed because of losing a job or losing a loved one. You can also be stressed because of a divorce. Many think that by taking alcohol, they can avoid stress, which is not true.
  11. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I think escapism is one of the main reasons, also. Many people get drunk, but never become alcoholics, however some people focus on the "escape" that alcohol can get you. Of course, it's only an illusion, and any escape that you do get is only made worse when you wake up in the morning, however at the time that you are drinking it genuinely seems that it is the sensible thing to do. However this is not the case at all, and people need to try and understand that if they can.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Another reason why people drink a lot is because it lowers inhibitions. Those who realize that it does work will whenever they are supposed to be in any social settings, drink first. The more alcohol they take the more dependent [on it] they get to be. It leads to addiction eventually.
  13. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon it can be from stress or depression, which can occur as a person may have a lot in the mind and need something to make it go away and this may help them, and view it as a friend which may for some time work for them. I think it can also be consumed by someone having financial or relationship problems as drinking can make it go away and cause a person to be drunk everyday which is not good and cause more problems in the process. I know some who used alcohol to escape the problems in their life and did get addicted which caused some to be alcoholics and had become abusive, in their relationships and had to suffer a lot which was hard to see.
  14. Eashow10

Eashow10 Member

There are many who have an addictive personality. Their brains are more apt to become addicted to anything under the right circumstances.
  15. Rex

Rex Community Champion

For me it was loneliness, combined with pressure. Sometimes i just needed to escape from things that were going on and the bottle send like an escape. I regret those decisions every day
  16. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Some people just want to drink. I think the two main things besides pressure are escapism and thrill seekers/boredom.
  17. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

A lot of people tend to use alcohol whenever they are lonely. I'm sorry that you felt that way. You're not alone.
    Rex likes this.
  18. Thejamal

Thejamal Active Contributor

I think a cause that people haven't brought up is some people just have a larger chance of being addicted to alcohol. It might run in the family, genetics, etc. In the same vein that some people become addicted to certain foods, the same can happen for alcohol.

Depression and trying to escape their problems is another way people get addicted to alcohol. They just can't function if they aren't completely wasted.
  19. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

Stress would be one of the biggest factor for me. When you are stressed out and you have no outlet, tendency is that you will seek one. Stress causes a fight or flee situation and in most cases we flee and resort to easy ways to relieve our stress even for just a temporary while. This becomes a habit because the person keeps on going back to that same flee response and is not really trying to eliminate the stressor.
  20. harold

harold Community Champion

One cause of alcoholism is marriage pressure. Struggling marriages often cause people to seek peace and comfort outside the marital home, and many of them end up addicted to alcohol. In a marriage where there is no understanding, nagging and fighting, the end result is often that one partner tries to avoid the marital home as much as possible. The only place where one is welcomed every single day with no questions asked is a bar. Many people seek peace from their marital problems in these bars and end up as addicts. An uncle of mine is heavily addicted to alcohol because of this reason. He had to constantly run away from home to avoid fighting with his wife. Today, he is an addict and he does not even acknowledges the fact that he is one. Marital problems that are not handled the right way could push people to seek comfort in bars and clubs. The end result of constant drinking could be alcoholic addiction.
    Chakra8 and michaelrydell like this.