An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Celebrate Recovery?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by SarahWorksAtHome, Jun 2, 2015.

1. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I attended CR is lieu of a typical 12 step when I get started on my path to recovery and rather enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. Just curious to see if anyone else used/uses CR and if it's been beneficial or maybe more beneficial than AA or NA.
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

No, by the time I was on my way to recovery, I had to thank God for a second chance to stay alive, but yet no feeling like wanting to get involved in religious-oriented groups like Celebrate Recovery.
  3. SarahWorksAtHome

I rather liked how the one I went to was organized. We had a communal dinner so we could just hang out or talk one on one and use that time to talk with sponsors and friends and just get to know each other. Then there was some music or praise and worship and one week a testimony or sharing and another week a lesson. After that we broke off to do the classic share meetings with our individual groups and the best part about breaking into those smaller groups is they were not co-ed and were more focused on our issues.
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Seeing it from the approach you are describing, sounds like preconceived ideas (like mine) associating 12-step groups with religious matters can make us miss a good opportunity to get support in an amicable setting that may contribute greatly in recovery, no more doubt on my side now :)
    SarahWorksAtHome likes this.
  5. SarahWorksAtHome

I love that you are so open minded as to see a different side of things! I love people who can think like that. You rock.
    But yes, it's not what most people would assume. So many have been hurt by "church" in the past that they wouldn't even consider getting involved and that just sucks because it's an awesome program. No pushy people, no bible thumping, no judgement. Just support.
    MyDigitalpoint likes this.