An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Celebrities Abusing Adderall

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by HugsNotDrugs, Feb 27, 2015.

1. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

More and more we're hearing about celebrities who "have ADHD" (aka are being prescribed adderall). Every single celebrity whose been arrested in the pst few years for dui's and whatnot ALWAYS have adderall in their system, but since it's prescription it's apparently ok. Adderall is all the rage in Hollywood right now because you can stay up all night partying and schmoozing and still get up the next morning, not to mention lose weight.

I personally have more of a problem with THIS than I do Hollywood's old favorite, cocaine. At least when kids knew Hollywood actors and performers did cocaine they didn't consider using it themselves. It was something rock stars did, not kids. I mean, most 14 year olds are scared sh*tless of cocaine an even if they weren't, they wouldn't know where to get it. But now they can take their friends' adderall or ritalin and be just like the celebrities!

I think these celebrities need to remember that children and teens look up to them and might copy their adderall usage. Even if these celebrities do have ADHD, they are abusing their prescriptions to stay out all night and to lose weight, two things many teens these days wish they could do.

What do you guys think about the recent surge in usage of adderall among famous people?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I know what you mean. You can just get Adderall from a doctor and this makes it seem more acceptable and a lot less intimidating than cocaine, which is normally purchased from a dodgy looking guy in a seedy flat. I feel bad for todays teens, there's more pressure than ever before.
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I agree. Baseball players actually have a noticeably higher rate of ADD/ADHD than the general population, according to the prescriptions of Adderall they receive. Of course, the drug helps them immensely during games when reflexes and focus are everything. It's amazing how prominent figures can take Adderall and make it seem even cooler to the younger people that idolize those individuals. When it comes to celebrities, it's often brushed aside if they have Adderall in their system after an accident or other incident.
  4. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Can you name some of these celebrities? I have no idea who they are.
  5. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

Yes it seems like not just celebrities, but half the general public ,adults and children are being diagnosed as ADHD these days. I've never seen such an epidemic!
  6. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Just to name a few; Lindsay Lohan, Scarlett Johannson, Amanda Bynes, Brook Mueller, Britney Spears.
    There are many more. Google search for more names.
  7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Does anyone else find it interesting that when a celebrity has abused prescription drugs they rarely reveal which drug by name? I've never cared for this way of reporting. It reminds me of things that infuriate me. Like a conflict of interest. How can the nightly news report on something when the same drug is funding the broadcast?
  8. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I think a lot of people in Hollywood are going to abuse anything they can get their hands on. Most, but not all, of them should be viewed as a cautionary tale rather than an idol.
    jbbarn likes this.
  9. I know that there is a huge surge in adderall usage amongst celebrities but there is also a huge usage amongst college students as well. Many students take adderall and mix it with alcohol or other drugs, and it can have very dangerous consequences. Maybe it's time for doctors to be more stringent about adderall prescriptions?
  10. John Parker

John Parker Member

Some of the actors are the drug addict and this is not good for them and for all the peoples also because drugs are not a solution to your problem. You can face a problem and try to solve. Great website.
    Dominica likes this.
  11. Rachel1065

Rachel1065 Member

Adderalloes not give you the same high as cocaine nor does it make you want more the second you finish consuming it. There is way too much speculation here. Post about what you know
  12. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

13. True concern

True concern Community Champion

My story.This is not only what i know but what ive lived.It is meant to offend no one,infact it is about much more than Adderall-ritalin.I hope if nothing else it highlights the real danger and what it could lead to and i acknowledge I'm an extreme case.

This is my story of addiction.I was born in the early 80's at the age of six year's old i was diagnosed with A.D.H.D.at that time there was a new F.D.A.approved drug by the name of Ritalin.At first it seemed to be a miracle pill,I was on this pill until the age of 18 at that time i decided i was no longer going to take this pill and it began just under a year passed and someone said "Have you ever tried crystal"which i had not at that time but i tried it and instantly noticed that it was 100% the same effect i got from Ritalin only difference was it lasted longer,or seemed to but honestly it was probably the quantity i was doing was greater than that of Ritalin i struggled with meth on and off for roughly 20 year's,not only meth but i was as well consuming 750ml of Jack Daniel's a day plus a 12 pack of beer.For those who don't know when you mix the two you don't appear to get drunk which is very deadly because infact you do get drunk however you don't realise it until it's too late meaning alcohol poisoning.I experienced this a few times and actually died on a hospital bed due to this fact,it took 3 hits with a defibrillator to restart my heart and i was told the only reason I was hit 3 times was because i was only 19 year's old,but usually after the second time if your heart doesn't restart you are then pronounced dead,but a nurse pleaded with the Dr.to try one more time and he did and my heart started back up.I didn't know at the time but that nurse was actually the mother of the lead singer of Sublime who just lost her son to a heroin overdose.I am forever grateful for that nurse without her plea i would be another statistic.Unfortunately I didn't quite using drug's at that time i just traded substances.I started abusing pain pills heavily and increased that addiction to catastrophic proportions,it got so bad i started injecting heroin which i quickly traded for oxycontin because it was much stronger than heroin.I abused fentanyl as well but nothing compared to the oxycontin.At my worst i was injecting 240-320mg's of oxycontin a day,feeling i wouldn't survive another month i decided to seek help.I'm poor and i come from poor parent's so my options were limited,i ended up at a methadone clinic for help slowly decreasing my extremely high tolerance.At the clinic i had an interview with a drug addiction counselor and an addiction physician,i was hoping for good news but what i heard shock me to my core.I was told by both the same thing,"Sir we are sorry to tell you but your addiction and tolerance is beyond the point of return,whether you quit or continue either way you cannot survive you have if your lucky a month to live"My heart sank and i decided at that moment if i was going to die i would die trying.I went home and prayed and then i called my wife into the room to tell her the news.At that moment i apologized to her told her how much she meant to me and made her promise if i didn't make it she would move on re marry and live a happy life and she noded yes.After that i quite cold turkey and suffered pain and sickness i cannot describe,for 27 straight day's i did not leave the bedroom,i did not eat,i did not sleep,i hallucinated,i screamed in intense unimaginable pain,i lost over 50 pound's in that time frame and had to be rushed to the hospital 3 time's where they would rehydrate me and try to give me pain shots to stall the detox which i refused.On day 28 I took my first steps after i quite and by the grace of God i survived and this May im married 18 year's to my beautiful wife and guardian angel.This is the first time I've shared my story of addiction and i did it for one reason alone,i want everyone to know i understand what you are going through and no matter how bad it gets there is hope.I'm here for each and everyone of you,if you ever need someone to talk to,if you ever feel no one understands im all ears and i do understand.Stay Strong We're rooting for you