An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Celebrity Drug Addicts: Help or Hindrance?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by JoanMcWench, Apr 23, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

We live in a world overrun by media covering media covering media. Children today know more about what Beyonce wore to an awards show than they do of Jane Eyre. Before I get off on a tangent let me lean back to my point: Celebrity addicts.

We all know quite a few celebrities who have addiction issues. Do you think the coverage of these celebrities/addictions/& drugs by association are glamorous in a way that promotes drug use or is the coverage honest & telling of addictions in a way that helps people avoid the drugs?
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Most coverage on celebrity drug addiction does lean toward the glamorous side more than the realistic side, though that's not always the case. For instance, Robert Downey Jr. is a good example of someone that had tremendous issues with drugs, but he's since gotten clean and become an even better actor. He doesn't glamorize what happened to him, and he tries to avoid talking about such things.

The media goes both ways in glamorizing some drug abuse and then taking a more serious, helpful approach to such abuse.
  3. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

Fame is a very wicked game. Most celebrities live on the fast lane. Most of them are living in loneliness and in depression. You see them smiling and you think they are happy. But the reverse is the case.
    In their depression they turn to drugs
    I can't really say if the media is encouraging the use of drugs or not. It depends on people's perspective.
    If people think the drugs make them happy or classy, then they are likely to want to try it out.
    But if they really know the level of depression celebrities battle with, then they would be sure to stay away from it.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

These days, you'll find that most young people will get their news on popular entertainment blogs. Most of these bloggers who happen to be young people themselves are more likely to glamorize drug use. Since they do that either directly or indirectly, other young people who read the articles written on these sites will eventually get to believe that doing drugs is "cool." And they might start experimenting. The only way to help young people is to teach them about drugs when they are still young. As they grow older and get exposed to all this white-washed pro-drug stuff they'll do the right thing.
  5. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

This is really food for thought. I am not sure how this will affect our children. On one hand, I think some of them find it amusing and still aspire to be like them, while those with a strong moral compass may be really disgusted and turn away. At the same time many of these stories give explicit details of the repercussions when things go terribly wrong and this could also serve as a wake-up call or warning to our children.
  6. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I have always been open with my son about drugs and alcohol and so he has enough knowledge to know how bad it is. I always call him to watch any programs about drug addicts so that he can see what it can do to you. He is almost 15 and has never smoked or had a drink. He has shared with me regarding opportunities where he could have, but was not interested. I trust him on this one and am so proud of him when I think about where I was in this regard at his age. I continue to share with him regularly regarding drugs and alcohol.
    missbishi likes this.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think the media should know how to make the subject about celebrity addicts as warnings and not making those as models especially for the youth. They should pin point more about how bad the celebrity become and what a mess the life was when he or she got addicted.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I just feel like people should not glamorize drug addiction to be some sort of romantic failure because it is not. It is hell and no one should have to endure something like a serious addiction. I think the celebrities can be a help, but I think the media distorting the celebrities and their views is what hinders people from making smart decisions.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Celebrities are idolized especially by young people so anything they do is cool to the eyes of their avid followers. If they confess on doing drugs as part of their lifestyle, tendency is their actions will be imitated by their followers. They can be great influencers but I hope they would use that privilege for the good and not the other way around. After all, they owe their popularity on these people they are unconsciously influencing.
  10. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it raises awareness and that's about as much as people should get from it. Whether the media sensationalized them towards one way or another should be irrelevant if the parents have a good relationship with their kids enough for them not to have to seek out role models elsewhere, especially ones they don't know personally and have millions of dollars to spend for their image.
  11. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I do think that the coverage is glamorous. Unfortunately, it makes us all look like enablers because we are condoning this. Take for example Charlie Sheen. The man's a legend. You'd say, "Well, of course he is, he's a great actor!". But that's not why he's famous. He's famous for getting high as a kite and then bragging about it on national television. Subsequently, we watch his rants from our homes and proceed to applaud him for his unbridled nonchalance. If that's not promotion, then I don't know what is.
    dyanmarie25 likes this.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Sounds like you've done a great job there!