An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Change is Hard!

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Deeishere, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Have you observed that most addictions feel good for the moment, but afterwards it will leave you let down or guilty? I feel that way about food. If I eat something like rich, glazed donuts, it’s a good feeling for about 2 minutes. Once it’s gone then I have to worry about the extra sugar, the weight gain and the extra substance that will harden my arteries. The hardest thing about doing the right thing is that it’s work. It takes time, effort and pain to achieve success. Joyce Meyer wrote, “Change is always tough. Even for those who see themselves as agents of change, the process of starting a new thing can cause times of disorientation, uncertainty and insecurity.”
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Deeishere... You are so right. Change is hard. But anything worth having is worth working hard for, right? :)
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I was that way with alcohol. I would drink to numb my problems and feelings, but then when I would sober up the guilt and embarrassment would get the better of me. And then I would drink more to forget that! Not cool. You're right, change is hard, but I think the best things in life aren't easy for a reason.
    Deeishere and deanokat like this.
  4. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Yeah, I think it goes that way with any addiction. I think... that's when you know you're addicted to something. Before the "high" all you can think about is achieving that feeling but once you do, it initially feel GREAT but as soon as that euphoria ends that guilt starts eating at you. That's what sucks so much about addiction.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon with sugary food it can look good but it can increase the weight and also the health which can make the person feel unwell at times when they eat food which can be not good for the health, and also it can be alright on occasion at times. It is something which can take time to get over and need to take small steps to overcome the addiction, and also a person should try some new hobbies or do other activities which can make the mind relax and enjoy it as well. I think that addiction can be something which can happen to anyone if not careful and also some addictions can take a long time to end so will need the help of friends and family which can make the journey more easier in the process.
    Deeishere likes this.
  6. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

They say: "breaking up is hard to do," therefore letting go of a habit is mostly a difficult thing to do. Especially when it comes to having to sweet savoury stuff. You may find that try to convince yourself that one-time won't hurt, however, the onetime usually leads to many more times. You are unable to help yourself, so you indulge and then you go on a guilt trip. You have recognized your shortcomings so you should now endeavour to seek all the help that is possible to enable you to kick the habit.
  7. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

The only thing that is permanent in this world is change. Time changes, we grow from a submissive child to angry teenager and compliant adults (not all people though, some may have angry childhood but submissive adulthood). We may not change our self, but change can occur itself.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Change can be hard but in some cases it's worth it. If your changing for the better you'll thank yourself later. Even tho staying the same is comfortable if your doing something that will hurt you in the long run you'll have to switch it up. Sometimes if you see it as not changing who you are but just making adjustments that helps.
  9. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I must admit you painted the picture of yielding to addiction perfectly well; the guilt and the feeling of knowing you have failed. As much as change is hard, it is good. It is like a school graduation from the losers team to the winning team.

Nothing feels good like changing your lifestyle.
    Deeishere likes this.
  10. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

But of course it's hard. Basically, food addiction is just a sum of habbits of eating "poorly". Once you build a habbit, it takes a phenomenal will to break it, because you will no longer think when you practice that habit, but rather do that thing automatically, just like you would be in an idle mode. You need consistent actions in order to change.
  11. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

One of the problems of food addiction is that we feel that food is the cure for everything that is wrong in our lives. I think sometimes the media portrays food in that way as well. A person breaks up with their boyfriend, then out comes the chocolates or the ice cream. Sure, it feels good in the moment like you said but afterwards there are the unwanted feelings of guilt and shame for not having self control. Trying to change these habits is hard because you have to struggle to take away a long time habit and it is mentally tiring so we just stop trying because it is so much easier to not change.

Although, change is inevitable in all aspects of our lives, it is still the hardest thing to do. I do not like change. I am afraid of it. But sometimes, it is worth it in the end and then you can think that it was not that bad and that I can do this. Of course, not all change ends up being good for you but it is something that you cannot control.
  12. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

True, True. I know in the past when I really worked hard and made the right choices, I felt so good! Every morning when I would wake up, I was excited because of the right choices I made the day before. I did well in the store on last week. I stared at the Honey Bun for about 5 minutes. LOL. But I didn’t buy it. So for me, I have to make the right choices.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. monty

monty Active Contributor

Do you know that challenges comes not to put you in problems but to take a lesson and move forward from that situation then only you can achieve success.see to be successful is not easy you have to overcome the challenges and move forward.Then only you will be successful in your life.Good luck and don't think too much after you committed anything wrong just accept it and move forward.This is the way to live Life!:)
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I find I have to be in the right mindset. I can go quite awhile with eating well, eating properly, but then the urge to consume and the craving will just overtake me. The trick with food or any other substance I think is to find something you find just as reinforcing as the substance. so the urge to "use" or to eat will be secondary to how you feel about the new body or activity.
  15. kaiserflame

kaiserflame Member

Very true. It's just so difficult but if it's something you really want, it's a lot easier. I usually deal with my food cravings by keeping myself full with water or food that gives me that full feeling. I love the taste of food but I like the feeling of a full stomach even more. If you really want to eat something unhealthy, it's better to balance it out with exercise and decrease the frequency of consuming such foods.

So my way with wanting change is to first, compromise. Change can be done but resorting to dramatic change is just as unhealthy.
  16. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I understand you perfectly and it is a normal thing actually. We already know that those things are not good for us. Nevertheless, we eat or use them. Not until we finish it all do we feel bad and realize we shouldn't. It's like it is wearing off and you either want more or you curse the day you took that much to begin with. It sounds as something banal but it is a confusing feeling that is just too hard to cope with sometimes.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is why we need to work hard in order to achieve the change we want. :)
    It may not be that easy but it is definitely possible if we exert effort or determined to achieved it. Even how many times there were failures, you can always try if you will allow yourself.
  18. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

@Deeishere You hit the nail on the head with this post! It sure does feel good for that first moment you give in to addiction, but the feeling is only fleeting. Then misery! It is harder to get to, but the feeling you get when you are completely free of addiction is pretty awesome too! I think that our mind tricks us and that is the hardest part of overcoming addiction.
  19. kaiserflame

kaiserflame Member

90% of the battle is mental really especially when it comes to softer substance abuse. Lifestyle changes are the best way to combat this which is why change is so hard. We're like turtles hiding in familiar places or routines and those places are the worst places of you truly want change.
  20. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Change is never easy but a change for the positive is always worth it no matter how difficult the struggle is. Nothing comes easy. You have to work for it.