An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Change is Hard!

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Deeishere, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

It is indeed true that sometimes small steps are needed to overcome any addiction. I think it’s rare for anyone to quit cold turkey. I know for me I have to replace some of my habits with good ones. One thing I like to do is watch and listen to people who have succeeded. I like to fill my mind and thoughts with healthy articles and videos. I also have to change my surrounding. For instance, the gym works for me because other people are striving for the same thing. It’s encouraging to see others working out.
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

So true. That thrill for the moment, that little glow for a few minutes, and it's gone again. For me it's not so much addiction to substances, including food, anymore, it's about my way of thinking. I'm addicted to thinking in certain ways as it feels good to me. But deep down I know that I am deluding myself. I wake up every morning, carefully searching my mind for any changes, as I am currently putting in a lot of work to change those patterns. But so far, it's moving slowly. I like to dwell on certain thoughts, almost obsessively, and they hold me back from liberating myself of the past.
  3. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I totally agree with you. When I took to prescription drug addiction, it felt good momentarily, but after wards, I because sad and dejected. Same was with alcohol. When I drank I felt good, however, the very next day, the severe headache and uneasiness made me think that I will never drink again. Now that I have overcome these addictions, I can say that change is hard but it is not impossible.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Sometimes it's all about breaking a bad habit. specially when it comes to food addiction :( Right now I have the bad habit of drinking sugar drinks daily... I used to drink them only once a week. It's terrible :( When I move to the Netherlands I will surely stop drinking sugary drinks daily. I really have to, for that I need the old-fashioned will power I've been talking about on here for very long.
  5. CryingCanary

CryingCanary Active Contributor

Oh no! I completely get you. I've had this problem too but with potato chips. I know it seems odd but I couldn't stop myself from eating them. Everyday I'd buy more and more, 'til I started feeling ill because of it. You can maybe try drinking more water to suppress the sugar cravings. That has helped me a ton.