An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Change

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rosyrain, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

With recovery comes many changes that someone has to adapt to in order to be successful. How do you deal with change? Do you look forward to changes in your life, or is change something that makes you really uncomfortable?
  2. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I can't speak from a recovery point of view but I have had both experiences when it comes to other areas of my life. In my working life I have not embraced as quickly as I should but when it comes to my personal life I more quickly adapt to change.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Change is something which most people might find hard to embrace. But the reasons for quitting an addiction should be good enough to force someone to embrace change. For me, I don't fear change. How much life will change for the better makes me look forward to it.

Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

John F. Kennedy
  4. JohnBrock

JohnBrock Active Contributor

I agree with this sentiment a lot, if nothing ever changed life would be an endless array of the same boring happenings, we need change to make us feel alive and no matter what, whether or not we want to acknowledge it, we will change, life changes us all. Embracing it is the only right way to go about it. We will all become old, such is the laws of nature, and we will all die. Embracing the journey is the only right way to emerge victorious
    Rainman likes this.
  5. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

I am a strong advocate of change. I think this is one of the best things that we can ever allow ourselves to experience. If we stay the same forever, life can be so boring. Changes make things much more exciting, and we get to experience surprises in life as well. Also, there's no better way to appreciate life than see ourselves change for the better. We always want to be a better version of ourselves in the past.
  6. juno

juno Community Champion

I am somewhat resistant to change in a general way. I like things my way. However, when it comes to recovery, it is important to be open to change because obviously you need to make changes in your life in order to quit and recover.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think anyone who goes through recovery successfully would ultimately have to carry an attitude of accepting change because I don't see how a person could successfully change their lifestyle that drastically without first being able to examine their behavior towards the unknown world of not being substance dependent anymore.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I could say that I welcome change positively as much as possible. Although there are changes that are seem making things harder than better and easier, I still try to look on the positive side of things. Changes can make someone stronger and wiser.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think change is somehow difficult to accept, specially if it's a "bad" change. I am not really looking forward to any kind of changes in my life right now, I could say I'm feeling happy at this time, unless it's a pretty good one and I could entirely benefit from it, then that's fine with me. However, I'm way too old-fashioned, I don't like changes that much.
    JohnBrock likes this.
  10. JohnBrock

JohnBrock Active Contributor

Many changes can seem bad initially but turn out to be good changes in the end, as people we have a tendency to want things to stay the way they are, even if they are broken - it's some sort of safety mechanism.

Getting out of that comfort zone, and enjoying the world for it's ever-changing nature can be something that brings a lot of pleasure, if you apply the right mindset
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Great quote. I think that change can be an exciting time when it is for the good of ourselves, like an exciting new job opportunity, or other positive things. Change gets scary when it is something unexpected, or something with our lives that we don't want to change.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Change is the one thing that is guaranteed in life. There is no way to avoid it. Time goes on and so do change. You have to accept it no matter what.
  13. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Change is definitely inevitable at some point in our lives. Me, I'm not too fond of changes. I have difficulties adjusting to novelties and to be frank, the unknown sometimes scares me. I've learned not to be startled by it, though. It's not the end of the world, it's just something I'm going to have to come to terms with. There's no progress without change, that's a given.
  14. gracer

gracer Community Champion

"The only permanent thing in the world is change." This quote has been passed on from people to people and I've heard it so many times already. Change is inevitably part of living and whether we like it or not, we have to undergo change many times in our lives. It's what keeps us learning and growing. Some things are good and some are bad, all we have to do is learn to adjust and go with the flow because it's the journey of life. In addiction, the decision to undergo change for the better is a long and tedious process. A recovering addicts journey to change can be full of trials but it will be worth it once they achieve that change they have been longing to have.
  15. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I came across a great little book called "who moved the cheese" in my church reading room. It's a quick little read (one afternoon for me) and helped out being resistant to change. It didn't change my life or anything like that but It certainly helped to put things in a different perspective. I suggest giving it a read!
  16. bluzkluz09

bluzkluz09 Active Contributor

I agree we cannot avoid change. As I read this I keep thinking how nothing remains the same. If they did we would all still be babies. Growth is in my opinion a good change. Just as we weren't always an addict we should hope that we can change and not be dependent on anything. Sometimes changes are good and sometimes they are not so good. I know there's is nothing I can do to stop changes. I am usually reluctant to embrace changes mostly because of coming out of my comfort zone. I'm trying to learn how to just go with the flow and tolerate the good and the bad changes in my life. Those of us who are happy would dread things going sour. On the other hand when things are not good such as when we are ill we can't wait for the change of getting better. I hope we all can learn how to balance with the changes in our lives.
  17. jkendall

jkendall Member

In the road to recovery there has to be many changes if you are to be successful. Take time to research and reflect on the changes you are making; ensure they are all positive changes. If you know your changes are to help you become a better version of yourself then it will be easier to look forward to and embrace these changes
  18. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

You know, I have to admit I'm not the best with change. I think I'm better than I used to be, and quite frankly that's probably as a result of dealing with addiction. But for the longest time I found it unsettling. My comfort zone was where I wanted to stay! I think now though I've got more of an understanding that change is a normal and necessary part of life. We can't grow as people if we don't change...and I'm definitely not the person I was 10 years ago! I wouldn't go as far as to say I've fully embraced change, because sometimes I still find things hard to deal with. But I'm definitely on the road to loving it.
  19. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Change can be a damned scary thing. It’s often easier just to stick to the comfort zone, but the more I did that, the worse I started to feel about myself. So I’ve been making more of an effort over the past few years to push myself out of that zone. Sometimes it ends in failure, but often it brings amazing things. And in both instances, it facilitates growth. I can still be stubborn about it at times, but I’m much closer to accepting that change is inevitable than I used to be.
  20. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I usually look forward to changes in my life - the positive ones, that is. I make it a point to travel and explore new environments and meet people from all walks of life. I also do a lot of things outside of my comfort zone all for the sake of becoming more receptive to change. Yeah, everyone's already said it so me saying this now definitely sounds cliche: change is the constant thing in this world. We can't help but accept this inescapable reality. Besides, change helps us move forward. We shouldn't look at it as if it's an enemy.