An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Changes of Times

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by gracer, Feb 3, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

As I was watching our local news the other day, I saw news about another rumble outside a street full of night bars around it. I've noticed that this kind of news has been a normal occurence in our city nowadays. I don't know if the youth in our town have become more aggressive when it comes to fighting or our bars and authorities have become more lenient with their laws.

I know that violence is part of going to bars and drinking alcohol, but they have become more rampant now than in the past when I used to be part of the crowd of youths who used to have fun in bars. I felt safe before when I used to go out at night a lot but now I have doubts on the safety of going out during night time.

Times have changed a lot now where I live. How is the situation in your area? Do you think things are still the same as when you were still young?
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

When I was younger there use to be fights all the times in and outside bars. They were fist fights and that is as far as they went. Now a days more people are armed. There are more stabbings and shootings. People just don't fist fight anymore. They are out to kill people. It is a sad world that we live in. Now they will beat you to near death or kill you and think nothing of it. We need stricter sentences for crimes like this.
    gracer likes this.
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Whenever there's a group of people drinking in our village (usually outside their houses), I try to go the other direction. There's that fear of being harassed or being hurt if they accidentally have any arguments that lead to fighting. I remember my former friend, she and her boyfriend got into a fight with another group. The fight led to throwing of bottles and fist fighting and all of that. She got stitches for it as well as her boyfriend.

I cannot fully say times have changed since: 1. I do not go to bars when I was younger, and 2. I didn't witness any fight with relatives who drink since those are all I see drinking. But I can definitely say that it's now common to see fights especially with alcohol around. And the fights aren't just fist fighting, it's a whole lot more than that. Some even end up killing another person.:/
    gracer likes this.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It seems to be more of an occurrence these days here too. My local area actually made a 1am lockout from bars and clubs - so that you couldn't get in anymore if it was past 1am. If you were already inside, that was fine, but there were no more admissions after that point. I don't know if it's really had any impact or if it's just made more trouble spill onto the streets. I think the intention was that people would just go home if it was after 1am - but let's be honest, I think it actually means more people are out wandering the streets.
    gracer likes this.
  5. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I don't know if this is relevant to the increased violence, but violent video games may be contributing. For example, when you kill someone in an online video game it triggers a tolerance to violence. Therefore, when youth are exposed to alcohol the violence may reoccur more often because of the hours spent playing a violent video game.
    gracer likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The link between violent video games and the violence that's around on the streets today is just nonsense in my opinion. The main reason is simply a lack of discipline and respect that people are being brought up with, that's the problem.

When I was growing up I was taught right from wrong and learned to respect others, these days parents and teachers are too scared of the kids to be able to teach them any form of discipline, and that reflects as they get older.
    gracer likes this.
  7. gracer

I have also noticed this in my environment. It seems like children have more rights and are more free in voicing out what's in their mind that sometimes adults would find it hard to deal with them properly so they just let the children be. Not that I'm against the laws that protect and give more rights to children but sometimes these laws are also being abused and some adults don't know how to deal with them. We have to be reminded that adults still hold the responsibility to take control and guide children the way they should be guided.
    pwarbi likes this.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

In my home town things have changed slightly. Ten year or so back at least once a year there'd be a fight in the bars [it's a small town] and it usually was about sports. Nowadays there is hardly any fighting but that doesn't mean the bars are all that safe. One never can tell when a brawl will erupt.
    gracer likes this.
  9. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Times have definitely changed! Here in the UK, the typical city center on a Friday or Saturday night is like a war zone. Compared to 10 years ago, the change is huge. I don't think it's just down to more alcohol consumption either. I think that, for whatever reason, we've become uglier as a society. I don't honestly know why.....
    gracer likes this.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it's like this everywhere being out and not sober is a bad idea. Society is not the same as it used to be and it get's worst as time passes. You can still be safe but you have to use the right judgment. Being drunk out in public makes you vulnerable. Times are too dangerous for people to be careless.
    gracer likes this.
  11. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I think things are constantly changing. Some persons don't realize this and get caught up in the past while rest of the world has gone ahead.
    gracer likes this.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It's true that a lot of things has already changed throughout the years. When I was younger, I could stay long hours outside our house, and play with my childhood friends, but nowadays, I don't think it's safe for kids to do such a thing anymore. People have also become more violent now. It's pretty disturbing.
    gracer likes this.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

In here, it also seems not that safe anymore compared before. Not safe to walk alone at night on certain areas and there were news about kidnapping. Although there were few bars near in our area, there were fights sometimes due to the drunk neighbors.
    gracer likes this.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

Nowadays there are more youth who drink than it used to be. You can find most pubs full with young ladies drinking heavily. I don't know whether that is out of influence or it is because liquor prices have fallen. Something needs to be done.
    gracer likes this.
  15. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Sometimes when tomes change, it is not for the better. People go to bars looking like anything and acting like anything. It makes me think it just might be safer that people have a drink at home with friends. No need to worry about random fights with drunk strangers.
    gracer likes this.
  16. pwarbi

I live in a major city in the UK, and at the weekend it isn't safe to go out because there is a lot of people that go out looking for a fight. The security firms who man the doors on a lot of bars and clubs are taking their life into their own hands doing that job these days.

I used to be a doorman a few years ago and the most you'd get was a few drinks throwing a few punches to deal with, now you've got 30 and 40 year olds with knives and guns to watch out for.

Times have changed, and not for the better, and I can only see it getting worse.
    gracer likes this.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think it's because of the alcohol. People have become more bold under the influence of alcohol, so they tend to start fights over nothing. The security should definitely be improved in bars to prevent such incidents.
    gracer likes this.
  18. gracer

I hold the same thoughts as you. It seems like our society now has become more hot headed and full of hatred. Even in traffic jams, I see a more violence now than before. Everyone wants to get to their destination at once that everyone wants to be ahead of others which causes more trouble. I also hear news of people just shooting others on even on broad day light and in the presence of many people. We've grown with more hate in our hearts and it's just so dampening to think about it getting worse with time.
  19. pwarbi

The alcohol no doubt does play a big part in how times have changed, but at the same time the mentality of people as changed aswell.

Society as a whole isn't as tolerant as it used to be and so I think thats made people behave in a different way than what they used to.
    gracer likes this.
  20. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

Drugs and alcohol contributes greatly to this kind of violence. Anyone who frequents those kinds of places should expect such level of violence. It's all part of the results of substance abuse.
    gracer likes this.