An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Changing the lifestyle "norm".

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Bluesman, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Bluesman

Bluesman Member

As you know there are many communities in which using alochol is widely accepted stanrad (for example: college). Do you think that it is possible to break that standard? How to promote sobriety without being an outcast?
  2. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

At the college I attended, alcohol was definitely NOT the norm. But, again, I attended a Christian college. It was definitely not widely accepted, in fact, I had acquaintances who were kicked out of the school for being caught with alcohol.

I don't know if its possible to "break" the standard, but I do think it is possible to have different communites at the same college -where one actively participates in alcohol and the other finds joy in other ways.
  3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I've never been one to feel that not drinking makes you an outcast. If anything people seem more delighted that they'll have more alcohol to drink. No one has ever investigated my cup to see if I'm drinking sparkling water or something liquored up. In fact, toss a lime into anything & people will normally assume you're drinking. It seems to be a fight against ourselves & not the peer pressure from others. We see others having a good time & want to be a part of that.
  4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

When I went to college I was trying to recover from a bad blackout experience I had the year prior so I wasn't drinking. I still went to keg parties and out to clubs while sober. It didn't matter to me what others did because I knew drinking wasn't for me at that time. I still had a ton of good memories and made some good friends without being in the 'norm' category.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Alcohol has been engraved into our culture. Who hasn't heard the phrase "I need a beer". That usually comes after a long day of hard work. I'm not sure how to answer this one. Maybe start writing to your local politicians and get some kind of alcohol reform going.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think once a certain place already enforces that culture then it makes it hard to change the people's minds but for a new budding community it is much easier to start a new culture where the terms are defined. I doubt there's much pressure now to conform anyway, people nowadays are much more self sufficient and self involved which makes them a lot less concerned with what others are doing or not doing.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It's very hard to break that habit from those groups. College for me was constantly partying, getting wasted whenever I went out with my college friends and then get blacked out for the rest of the night.
    It would take a lot of people to promote sobriety and not a lot are willing to do so.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Alcohol consumption is very much considered the norm all over the world. People drink to celebrate all sorts of occasions, aswell as to just relax and unwind.

This can be healthy and people relax a bit more after a couple of drinks. The problems start when people drink to get drunk. If somebody only drinks to make themself feel good or to block things out of their life, that's the kind of behaviour that needs to be addressed.

The problem isn't the actual alcohol, it's the mind set of the person drinking it that's the main issue.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm not sure it is possible to break that standard. Most people are able to enjoy alcohol in moderation and don't see the problem in it. Rather than trying to outlaw or control alcohol, how about addressing the factors that might cause people to drink to excess?
  10. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

Well, college is definitely a place for experimentation. There are people I knew my freshman year who had never been drunk before and they wanted to try it. To some degree, experimentation in college is really necessary for people, because they're learning new things about themselves.

In the other scenarios, maybe in different families where alcohol is a usual it is difficult to break that tradition. The only way that can stop is if one of the younger members of the family doesn't enjoy drinking alcohol. It's very difficult to break traditions, because it acts as comfort for many people.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Even there are lots of drinkers around, I still do not drink or not allowing myself to be influenced by them. True that its seem to be a lifestyle as others cannot have a "good time" without drinking sessions. Good thing most of my best are also not really drinkers.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

When I went to college, alcohol was not such a big deal. Just because you drink alcohol doesn't mean you're a cool kid or whatsoever. No one will bully you if you haven't had a sip of beer yet, no one would pressure you to party at night and hang-out with different people at a pub/bar.