An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Chewing Tobacco

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Megan S, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Megan S

Megan S Member

I come from an area where chewing tobacco is very popular. The majority of the men and a few women I know chew tobacco or use snuff. I have heard people say quitting chewing tobacco is the equivalent to trying to quit heroine. I even had a friend that quit twenty years ago that says he still graves a dip every day. What are your thoughts on quitting chewing tobacco? Any success stories? My husband and several other family members use chewing tobacco.
  2. portraitofjs

portraitofjs Member

I tried moist snuff a couple times and used snus for many years. Snus is a similar form of oral tobacco from Sweden, the main difference is it doesn't make you salivate. Quitting snus was VERY difficult - nicotine withdrawal is indeed comparable to heroin in terms of how hard it is to stay off of it, and I know because I am/was addicted to both. My success came with using Wellbutrin, and replacing my "oral fixation" with chewing gum. It wasn't easy, but I pulled it off. I would suggest talking to your doctor about Wellbutrin.

Note: Chantix is a completely different drug, which may have different/worse side effects. I can't say I recommend it - it never worked for me or anyone I know - but different things work for everyone, so talk to your doctor to see what's best for you individually.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

You're right, this is more addicting than the traditional smoking. Well, for most yes, because when I tried chewing tobacco I didn't actually feel anything of particular, and I could quit without too much hassle whatsoever, but yes you're right, people are more inclined generally to stay with chewing tobacco than smoking it.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Chewing tobacco will get you addicted to nicotine. Nicotine happens to be one of the most addictive substances. Like a heroine addiction it's pretty hard to beat a "smokeless tobacco addiction." But same way overcoming a heroine addiction isn't impossible as long as you are committed to beating the addiction, I believe that with the right attitude one can successfully turn his/her back on chewing tobacco for good.

By the way success rates don't matter. It's the attitude which counts.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

Tobacco has nicotine that can affect a person who chews it the same way it affects smokers. Nicotine can cause cancer in any part of the human body. I have seen people who chew tobacco having reddened lips that never heal. Chewing tobacco causes mouth cancer which can also result to death. These are the facts that somebody who chews should be told. Since the contents enter the blood stream, nicotine also enters the blood stream easily.
  6. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

My mother is 73 years old and in a nursing home. I take her snuff when I go to visit. She has been hooked on that stuff since she was a child. Chewing tobacco is just as bad to me gross. I just can't imagine why anyone especially a female would put that stuff in their mouth. It's not good for you at all plus it looks really nasty and smells even worse.
  7. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Chewing tobacco isn't at all like quitting heroin. The only people who say that are the anti-smoking lobbyists. If you look at the withdrawal symptoms and compare them, it's not even close. Personally, if I wanted to quit I'd just switch to snus, it's another oral tobacco made in Sweden which has no carcinogens.
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

I remember I worked in a place where people were always chewing tobacco. One day I got a bit curious and asked one of the guys to let me try a bit. They didn't tell me I wasn't suposed to swallow. I think they omitted that part on purpose because they were all laughing their butts off when they saw how dizzy and green-faced I got. I had to sit on a chair for about an hour until I could walk normally again. Never touched the stuff since.
  9. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I to have tried it, but quickly decided it's not for me. I smoke so that's bad enough in it's self. Tobacco is bad in any form. It's just another addiction in my eyes.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I managed to quit smoking cigarettes and it was extremely difficult to do. The good news is that I have tried smoking a couple of cigarettes since and they tasted absolutely horrible. Chewing tobacco is just as addictive, if not worse because it tastes better.
  11. NicCris

NicCris Member

Part of the reason that quitting chew is so difficult is that it’s not just a mental & chemical battle. There is also a very physical part of breaking nicotine’s hold on us. There are several alternatives to smokeless tobacco: nicotine gum, lozenges, nicotine patches.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Chewing tobacco also makes your breath stink. I do not like to kiss my other half after he has chewed because I can smell and taste the chewing tobacco. I agree that nicotine gum is the better route than chewing. It is much harder to go from smoking cigarettes to the nicotine gum as it would be to go from chewing tobacco to nicotine gum. At least with the gum you wad it up in your mouth like you would with the chewing tobacco.
  13. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Some people place ground tobacco at the inside of the lower lip, where salivary glands are most active. The constant supply of nicotine gives them a persistent high for an extended period. Chewing tobacco has the same ill-effects as smoking a ciggy. Nicotine addiction is hard to get over. It's better to taper off your addiction.
  14. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I think this might be true. I think this is true about any substance you are addicted to and want to quit. I know I have never attempted to use chewing tobacco, or snuff, but I have used and am addicted to tobacco cigarettes. I know when I quit, I had no other choice. I had a serious health complication directly related to the tobacco cigarettes. I was told if I did not quit, I would not be around much longer. Yes, I still crave nicotine every day.