An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Chewing tongue

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by racechick79, May 4, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

It sounds like it is a nervous habit. People tend to have nervous habits and chewing the tongue could be one of them. I used to have one of smoothing my hair all the time, when I was younger. Certain medications do cause reactions with the tongue and you can get reactions like that from taking them. Psychiatric medications in the old days called tardive dyskinesia they were famous for those issues.
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I do not chew my tongue. However, I constantly bite the inside of my cheeks, and rip off small skin fragments. It does not hurt, and feels pretty pleasant, but it annoys me because I usually contort my facial expression and it looks weird. I should get rid of this habit as soon as possible.

Your friend is not alone, you'd be surprised to find out how many people do this or something related to it.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I have seen people who do this before. In the cases I've seen I think it was a habit that was formed as a child. I really never understood what someone would get out of chewing there tongue. I have never done this myself. Finding a way to break this habit can be challenging since it isn't discussed much.
  4. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I haven't had a similar experience but I've heard that there's a lot of people chewing their hair, fingers and just things in general, and most of those cases it's caused by anxiety, stress or even depression. I'm not sure if this applies to your friend, but of it does, I'm really sure that psychological therapy will help them :)
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Nergaahl... OMG. I do this, too.
  6. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I had a friend before in college who had this habit of biting her tongue and I always noticed it when we are together. I used to asked her before why she is doing that kind of thing. Well she is just always saying that when ever she is worried and is nervous she is always like that. That is why I think there are personal reasons why a certain person is doing this kind of behavior and I am sure that they do not like it to be that way. And it is just the effect how they are reacting to the different circumstances they are encountering in their life.
  7. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

Yes I know someone who does it quite often and I think it is pretty weird. I don't think I would calli t an addiction but more like a bad habit.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Might be an issue of mommy taking the bottle away too soon or something like this. Kind of an odd one. Its like what cats do when Mom is taken away too young. They drool as adults.
    If Mom has always been present and the bottle was not taken away too soon. We can go even further with the umbilical cord. It is very dramatic for a new born to have the cord cut. They actually need it until it breaks free by itself. Not common practice but it makes sense. This is how the baby gets nutrients in the womb. It is better to leave it and let the new born get what they need until it breaks free. Children that are born this way, lotus birth, are far more well adjusted and stable then children who it is cut at birth. The new born is also receiving the nutrients from the Placentia longer. Which in hospitals is often taken and sold for money. They don't throw it away it is worth a lot of money. Smacking a new born on the butt, cutting the chord, and sticking them in some isolated plastic cushioned tray is by far the most traumatic experience for a human to experience. Makes sense a child would chew their tongue and do all sorts of other things because of this.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

I am 31years old but am battling to quit that. I don't know how it came about, but I sometimes find myself chewing the tongue. I don't think it comes out of influence but you find yourself doing it mostly when you are hungry and you feel that you get something to chew. Others say that you can get chewing gum when you realise that you have started chewing the tongue.
  10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I thought that tongue biting was something started in childhood. I would place this among some other habits like thumb sucking. Actually I know someone who still sucks their thumbs despite being an adult. I have also heard you might bite your tongue if your going through something like a seizure.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I would have to agree with what the others have said, maybe it's just a habit or mannerism that manifests during anxious or nervous moments. I have never heard of such a habit until I have read this post.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think this is similar to biting one's nails out of nervousness or as a part of an obsessive behavior. I know because I used to bite my nails in a very compulsive way, to the point I even ate some flesh and my fingers bleed. Thankfully I no longer do this :)
  13. annie31

annie31 Member

i have a habit of chewing my tongue and inhaling moth balls....i know its bad...i need help
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@annie31... Have you talked to a therapist about these habits? I think that would be the best thing for you to do. A good therapist could likely help you overcome your issues.
  15. Christafay80

Christafay80 Member

I have been chewing on my tongue since I was a baby. I was not on any drugs and still am not. I am on medication for anxiety and depression. If I skip a dose or two, I notice the chewing intensifies. I have never spoken with the doctor about it because I have never seen it as an issue-other than people making fun of me thinking I'm on drugs.

Your friend could be nervous, anxious, or thinking deeply.
    Aal and deanokat like this.
  16. Aal

Aal Member

I just found this while searching to see if someone else had it. I chew on my tongue like one would violently chew chewing gum, since as far as I can remember, being a kid. It could be anxiety related, as I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression later on in life. I was on pills ( anti anxiety and antidepressants), but that didn't really changed it. However, I don't chew on my tongue when I am anxious, I chew on my tongue when I focus on something, and I didn't knew I did it ( even though I do it like one would violently chew on gum or something - not just the sides of my tongue, but the whole thing, between my teeth, chewing on both sides of my mouth like a maniac) - until my 2nd grade teacher said once loud in class " stop chewing gum". I had no gum. My parents noticed it too, and they'd point it out, but never really stop it, and my uncle would say I will become a monkey if I didn't stop. Needles to say, it did not ceased to exist out of my life, and now every time I clean the house, make a school project, do the dishes, I suddenly get aware of the fact that I am violently chewing on my poor tongue.
    This might be too late for it to be relevant, but oh I am so glad that there's other people out there.
  17. Gracelyn52

Gracelyn52 Member

Saw this post while looking up chewing on your tongue. I have recently been chewing on my tongue for a few years now. I am on medications that are prescribed for anxiety but I noticed that I don’t just bite my tongue when I feel anxious. It’s worse at night like right now while I’m typing this. Yeah it starts hurting but it’s like I can’t stop something inside of me is like I have to keep biting you know. I bite everywhere on my tongue not just on the sides. I bite even through bleeding of the tongue I will know my tongue is bleeding but it’s like I don’t care. Also if you are wondering I’m 16. I’ve tried chewing gum but it doesn’t work and I can’t really use chewing gum at night while trying to go to sleep. But I have heard that if you have a tendency of chewing at night time before bed and everything you can get a mouth guard and sleep with it on.
  18. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

It may not have anything to do with medication(s). Disorders i.e.tongue chewing, nail biting are usually anxiety based. It can be on the spectrum of body dysmorphic disorder, which is common with addicts. It's generally caused by abuse or bullying, low self-esteem, fear of being alone or isolated, perfectionism or competing with others, genetics, depression, anxiety, OCD /ADHD.