An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Childhood addictions?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Jasmine2015, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Did anyone have an addiction to certain things like smelling sharpie markers, glue, paint, air freshners, ect as a kid? I've seen something like it on TV and it seems most people outgrew those types of things.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I never was addicted to anything when I was a kid.

A few of my friends however were "addicted" to snorting any white powders they could lay their hands on. They'd seen too many people using cocaine in movies, thought it was cool and they had to make-do with anything that looked like it. Come to think of it, it [the activity] was pretty dangerous but fortunately, the powders didn't affect them negatively in any way. Or at least, the effects weren't seen or felt at that time.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

When I was a kid, I have never been addicted to anything aside from food. I totally loved binge-eating before. I really didn't care about feeling bloated or getting a full stomach. I loved food so much, and I would eat as long as I can. That's why I was sort of an overweight way back then.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I loved the smell of that strong yellow glue some people used to glue shoe soles and so on. I loved that smell, and I had no idea how bad it was I smell it on purpose. Until one day I told my nana I loved the way that yellow glue smelled, and then she told me I should never do that, because that is actually a very bad thing to do and I could get addicted to it. I stopped right away.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I can honestly say that I have never had an addiction to anything. I know some of my friends started smoking at a very early age and still smoke to this day. I just never had an interest and I was never much of a risk taker or care to experience with things that I thought may harm me.
  6. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Not to any particular things however I was addicted to actions and doing certain things yes, I had a phase of constantly needing to spit, needing to crack my knuckles, etc... I basically always need something that I in someway "crave" or keeps my mind of things I guess.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't know that I would say addicted but yes, my friends and I loved the smell of permanent markers. I guess in a way I just assumed it was normal since it seemed like most kids liked the smell of them too.
  8. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I was a tiny bit of a pyromaniac for a few years when I was a kid. Does that count?
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

So many kids I know were! I think it was the intrigue of fire and just how it all worked. I guess it's inbuilt into all of us...that caveman/woman instinct, perhaps! ;)
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

When I was in grade school, I was so hooked on anime/cartoon shows series and in gameboy. Then when I was in high school, I spent a lot of time and most of my money on arcade games. :D
  11. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Right! I think it's just a natural curiosity thing. I finally had to stop when I burned a huge hole in my carpet and my parents found out. I think they locked every lighter and match in the house up!
  12. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

As a kid, we used to inhale petrol fumes and get high, real high. It was one of the silly games we use to engage in and looking back, i think we were lucky that none of use got into real addiction. When i see those street kids inhaling that stuff i just get shivers down my spine and just wish they knew what they were getting into.
  13. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I wasn't addict to anything when I was a kid, except that I loved to eat candies but my parents didn't let me to eat them, it was a really frustrating thing for me...so I started eating a lot of them when they weren't watching me, and now as a young adult I still love candies but I'm learning to control myself.