An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Childhood? Whats that?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by tessalopezwv17, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Growing up was hard for me and my sister. We were around drugs at all times. We never did get a childhood. Some say me and her grew up way to fast. They were right, we did. Around age 12 me and my sister picked up the habit of smoking cigarettes. By the age of 13 we were smoking 30's. If it wasn't for us both getting on probation for missing so much school because we were always messed up we would be shitty people today. Not saying we are good people but we are decent people. Now me and her are 23 and clean, well half way clean. We both still smoke pot but it is legal where we live.
  2. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Welcome to the forum Tessalopezw17. I am glad you and your sister were able to survive your childhood. Based on what you shared it was not any easy one. I am a mother and I know the mistakes some of us can make when raising our kids. We expose you to so much we rush your growth.

Where I come from, pot is still illegal and consequently I am not an advocate. Even so, I am all too aware of how addictive the substance can be. One day I hope that you will be "whole way clean" to borrow some of your words:). Take a walk through the forum and you will find lots of encouraging stories . Again I welcome you.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Congratulations on getting past your obstacles. I know the thought of not having a childhood often haunts people and it even causes some people to let their past ruin their present lives. I'm glad you are now well and as for the pot smoking, I personally don't consider it to be anything to be sorry about. It's no different to me than beer and if it helps you calm down and relax from time to time, as long as you are able to be responsible with it, then by all means you should be allowed to enjoy it and more importantly you should allow yourself to enjoy it guilt free.
  4. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Well, on the brighter side, at least you guys are together! That's a big achievement, you know! And don't relinquish in the past. What's gone is gone. We still don't have a time machine, so that can't be helped yet. Move on!
  5. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I wish the best to you both and I am glad that you are clean. I hope you manage to get a good life and if you ever have kids that you give them the childhood you never had.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Congratulations for getting clean. Like WInterybella I'd also suggest trying to give up weed too. Alcohol is legal everywhere but not everyone drinks it even if "a little wine is good for your stomach" etc, etc. Weed also is only good up to a certain point . . . but would you know where it is? No one does. Best thing to do therefore is, to cut down on your consumption and then eventually cut it out altogether.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Really nice to know that both of you are now okay despite of all that had happened or you both experienced in your childhood. It is inspiring to know and proof that even you grew up in such family and environment, there will be always hope and a better tomorrow.
  8. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Good that you gave up on the things that were harming you! And good that you had a chance to stay together, that does not always happen. Welcome to the forums, I hope you find strength and inspiration around here.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Don't beat yourself up about the weed. You and your sister have come so far, considering the rotten start you've had in life. As long as you don't allow smoking marijuana to control your life then you'll both do just fine!
  10. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Glad you (tessalopezwv17) and your sister have stopped smoking cigarettes, because the presently sold ones are purposely made to have all those carcinogens and poisons - half a century ago, a or some scientists did create cigarettes far far lower in toxicity but the cigarette corporations didn't want to sell them. Also, besides all the health illnesses, smoking cigarettes is like a waste of time and energy to acquire in order to smoke, and it leaves an individual smelling quite bad.

Although hemp or cannabis (i dislike using marijuana because its purely a legal term) has begun to be legalized, it was never been outlawed in the U.S.A. For example, when ethanol beverages and drinking became unlawful, it was scribed as a amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which cannabis/hemp aka marijuana has never been written by the people and laid down as an amendment. I personally think hemp is one of the most greatest plant on the planet!
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I think that it is safe to say that I, along with everyone else on this forum, is proud of you and your sister for changing your lifestyle. You both saved yourself from a path that could have lead to corruption and dissipation. We welcome you to the forums and if you need any advice or comfort, we are all here for you.
  12. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

It's just the beginning though and it's good that you admit that you are half clean. Light drugs aren't as bad, but they can take you back to the addiction, it's a matter of lifestyle.