An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Christmas and drugs

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by jeremy2, Dec 27, 2014.

1. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

It's the festive season once again and may i take this opportunity to send my seasons greetings to everyone here. Is Christmas enough reason for us to overindulge and slide back to our old,dirty habits even if it's only for a while? When i put things into perspective, i tend to think that we relate the Christmas season to merry making and with it,indulging in binge drinking.What are your thoughts?
  2. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

No, Christmas itself means "anointing mass," which one can look for the meanings and reasons to those words one's self. Also, it's not we that relate Christmas to merry making and indulging in binge drinking, that perspective and opinion is yours alone jeremy2.

I for one do drink during Christmas time, because it's the only time I get to hang out with my out of the city family members and be around them, however, I stick to mostly wine and beer. However, seasonal holidays should never dictate when or why any human should do any drugs.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Everyone has their version of how Christmas is celebrated. By the way, you might be surprised as to how they originally celebrated Christmas. It was a pagan holiday not a Catholic one.

In certain parts of the world, people don't give gifts or receive any because they are poor. So what do the do instead. They drink massive amounts of alcohol with friends and family. They would do that anytime but because it's a holiday they will use it as an excuse and like a free hall pass. They just binge drink because it's Christmas, or New Years, or Easter, or its their distant relatives baptismal......they don't care. Any excuse is a good excuse to get piss drunk.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Some people think that way. I am not one of them. It really has no purpose, drinking. Other than a temporary escape that gives you a hangover the next day. A few drinks here and there, the chemicals are in your body. You get sucked back into the trap. If you are depressed it makes you more depressed. If you are wanting to be happy and have fun, it can cause problems. Makes no sense. Eventually this will be just as frowned upon as smoking cigarettes. People were all crazy about cigarettes and now it is not that popular.
    Homemade alcohol I think is ok. I am done with commercial alcohol. The insomnia from it is just ridiculous.
  5. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

Around this time of the year a lot of activities occur such as parties and gatherings which most times involve a lot of heavy drinking especially among teens. A lot of intoxication results and endless warnings are given out in to road users via the media and otherwise in my country, as accidents are more during this time.
  6. Saraldra

Saraldra Member

With some families, intake of alcohol at Christmas is limited to a few glasses of Wine or Port during Christmas dinner. This should be enough for some people, to me it is very strange for people to get very drunk at Christmas, it depends on the family i suppose.

It is neither healthy nor advisable to drink vast quantities of alcohol at Christmas.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think better if not to use these celebrations to go back to the old bad vices. There should be no valid reason so that the change for the better will be successful. If you can just drink alcohol in moderation in occasion, it will be just fine.
  8. Sarah

Sarah Member

I don't think it is what Christmas is about at all and the real meaning of Christmas has been lost. I think it is used as an excuse to over indulge. But it only happens once a year I guess. My motto is all things in moderation I used to over indulge at Christmas but over the years I have lost interest in the festivities I have worked over them and just go about my normal business like its any other day.
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

To me, the only indulgences you should have at Christmas time is too much candy and good food. I do not feel any guilt for over eating, because this is the time to do it! Drinking should not be something to over induldge in, especially if you have had problems with it in the past. I have an occassional glass of wine, but I do not go overboard. If you are a recovering alcoholic, you should not even have one drink...and stay away from people who are drinking.
  10. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Well, it's easy to assume this, with Christmas parties and people getting jolly all around. Even moreso for NYE, which sole purpose seems to be the getting drunk of masses... That said, it is surprisingly easy to be content with not drinking. I think the more tempting it is, the more proud of yourself you should be for resisting. Developing new hobbies is not out of the question! Happy 2015.