New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Church Support Groups

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by irishrose, Nov 8, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

My church and several other churches in the area offer AA and NA groups to anyone who would like to attend. People do not need to be members of the church to attend. Do any churches or organizations in your area offer this service? Would you consider going to one or consider recommending one to someone you know?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

None of the churches here have any such [treatment] programs. But some I've been to do offer free counseling to anyone who needs it. I do believe that there are some who'll find that counseling valuable. However when I was still an addict I never took advantage of that offer [to get free counseling] because I wouldn't tell anyone that addiction was slowly killing me.

If our churches offered NA and AA groups I probably would attend but I doubt that anyone who isn't a church-goer would want to.
  3. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Actually I wouldn't. My local church seems to attract the reasonably well-off and upwardly mobile. Not that substance abuse doesn't occur within these circles, but they sure are good at hiding it. However, the church does regularly organize fundraisers for the poor and destitute. I always support these initiatives.
  4. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

Our church offers a similar program. I think it's a wonderful outreach, but I think it needs to go further than that. I believe in a combination of Christian and secular counseling. It's been my experience that secular counselors can be more objective at times, because they don't have a history with the person involved. They may not have the compassion that someone in your church has for you, but they're not easily manipulated either. I just think a balanced approach is better sometimes for the addict.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Unfortunately, there are no schemes like this in my area that I know of. However, I would be supportive of them if there were and in a way, I kind of wish there were. The one place that people should be able to turn to when in crisis is the church and I know there have been times in my life when I wish I could have done that (even though I didn't believe in God at the time) but it wasn't an option.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not aware of any specific programs those church groups here have. But I think they are willing to help as well since church groups are usually open to help whether a member or not as far as I know.
  7. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

A ton of churches here offer AA and NA groups. You are also not required to be a member of the church, but there is usually a lot of church literature available. As an agnostic, it personally made me even more uncomfortable than AA meetings usually make me. It might be a good solution for religious AA members, but to me it just really reinforced the idea that AA was way too antiquated and Judeo-Christian for me.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I think churches are some of the places where these meetings are offered. I think it may work for some, and work not so well for others. Some people may have a negative conotation or negative experiences when it comes to churches or religion in general. For those people most likely a church setting is not going to be an ideal place for them to attend a meeting.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

Church support groups can really help one get out of addiction. First, addicts get motivated by the word of God. Addicts are also taught on how to pray and ask for forgiveness. One can learn how to sing, play guitar or piano and even drums, making them part of the church.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

The church in my area is catholic and to be honest I doubt they have this kind of service there, but I've heard of other churches in the state that offer something similar. I don't know why, but I never considered one of those church groups, religion has never been my thing.