New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cigarette smell?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by SLTE, Sep 5, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

My mom is an almost lifelong smoker, and when I was living at home I honestly seldom noticed the smell of the smoke. It wasn't until I was in high school that I ever encountered a problem, as one of my teachers had an extreme sensitivity to cigarette smoke, and thought on several occasions that I was secretly a smoker, and tried to catch me on it. Took me a few brushes with 'the law' to realize what was going on and correct her. That cleared things up... though she still had to keep away from me in class.

Since moving out I've noticed the smell of smoke much more prominently, and how it clings to my clothes whenever I come back from visiting my parents. Has anyone here had any similar problems living with second hand smoke? How do you cope? I know washing clothes helps, but it doesn't seem to get everything out.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

when you don't smoke you can really notice the smell of smoke on others. It is just another thing to dislike about smoking. I try never to smoke when I am going somewhere important and spray febreeze. I don't smoke often and I don't want others having to put up with the smell of smoke on me because I know how distasteful it is to some people.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Both my parents were avid smokers and since there was smoke 24/7 in my house I kind of got used to the smell. After I moved to my own place I started to recognize the smoke smell more. Whenever I went to my parents' house the only thing I could smell was the smell of cigarettes, although I didn't have trouble getting it out from my clothes.
  4. juno

juno Community Champion

I personally have not lived with second hand smoke, but even when I have had visitors or been out somewhere around smokers, I have found that the stench of smoke is very hard to avoid bringing home. So, I can imagine how awful it might be for someone living with it.

I think you could trying keeping baking soda in your closets to soak up odors. Other than that getting rid of the smoker is the only way I can imagine to get rid of the smell.
  5. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

It's really hard when it's second-hand smoke and you're not in control of it.

If you have long hair I would recommend tying it up when you are at your parent's. I have long hair and it seems to soak up smells (especially cigarette smoke and deep fryer oil). As far as your clothing goes, I find that leathers (or plastics made to replicate leather) don't soak up smells as much. Wearing a leather (or leather-look) jacket might protect your clothing underneath.
  6. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Fortunately i have not been in such a situation as none of my family members were smokers. But i would be more concerned about the effects of passive smoking than of the smoke clinging onto my clothes. Secondary inhalation is equally dangerous and i would be more concerned about my health if i were you. All the same am glad that you never smoked and that you were able to stay clean.
  7. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

It's a bit easier to avoid my mom's habit now, because she never smokes around my brother's two sons, and they're usually around when I visit my parents. That or she goes outside, and at least the second hand smoke doesn't cling as much.

That said, I've found the smoke smell likes to linger on the furniture in their home. I cannot sleep on their couch downstairs, because my mom used to smoke on it all the time, and whenever I lie down on the thing it tickles my asthma and drives me crazy. I think that phenomena's called third-hand smoke? Wonder how many hands this beast will ultimately have.
  8. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

@SLTE Third-hand smoke concerns me also, especially when thinking about very young children and babies. There is evidence linking third-hand smoke with asthma and allergies in babies (source here).

It's great to hear your mother isn't smoking around your nephews. Hopefully she is able to make some further changes regarding smoking inside when they are not there also.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

As a kid growing up in a house full of smokers I never felt bad inhaling it. I guess I was just use to it. But after moving out and being alone, my lungs cleared up and I can't stand to be around anyone that smokes. It just shuts me down and I make my way for the door.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I would say that my nose is sensitive to smoke as well. I can smell someone is smoking even not that near to me. Using fabric conditioner could help get rid of the smell.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

Yep, smokers don't notice they smell like cigarettes, just like drinkers in a bar can't smell alcohol in their breaths or anyone else's in the bar. If you live with a smoker, it's hard to smell it, unless the person blows some smoke in your face. But it does stick to clothes like white on rice. And a non-smoker who lives in a smoke-free environment can smell it on you from miles away.
  12. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

I grew up with a father who was and still is a heavy smoker. I had a similar experience to you in high school: a teacher kept me after class and tried to have a heart-to-heart with me about the teenage smoking habit she thought I had, since I smelled of smoke all the time. I had friends who weren't allowed to come to my house because their parents thought I was a bad influence and smoking with them! It sucked, and now when I come home from visiting my dad I can't wait to take a shower and get that smoke smell out of my clothes and hair!
  13. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

I will never be able to understand how people can still smoke inside, especially in their own house. You are right, it does permeate everything and you cannot get the smell out. That is why you cannot find smoking rooms in hotels anymore and why there have been laws put in place concerning smoking in bars and restaurants. I really feel for you having to grow up in that environment, and I also sympathize with your mom for the addiction she must have suffered through.
  14. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Tobacco smoke smell tends to cling onto things much longer. If you wash your clothes and air it out it should eventually disapate. This can be very frustrating. Know your not alone in this. Also try washing your clothes for a longer setting with a little extra detergent.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm a smoker but I don't smoke in my own home or anybody else's, even if they do. As soon as you walk in to a smokers home you are hit by the smell, and even me, as a smoker have to admit that it's not exactly a pleasant aroma, and is one of the reasons I'll only smoke outside.
  16. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I have always hated the smell of cigarettes. It has never been appealing to me. Whenever people smoke around me, I get kind of irritated because it just smells so unpleasant.
  17. Matthodge1

I am definitely the same way. After being around tons of relatives who smoke, I can tell whenever someone has been around smoke.
  18. Matthodge1

You can generally smell it more whenever you escape the smell. It's not nearly as noticeable whenever you are around it all of the time, because you're used to it.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I sometimes where mask when outside and there are lots of smokers from one corner to another. I find it hard to breath and sometimes I will experience headache because of the smell.
  20. Matthodge1

I usually can't breathe. It's hard to hold conversations whenever someone is smoking right in front of me.