An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cigarette v/s marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Hiraeth, Oct 17, 2015.

1. bellahpereira

bellahpereira Member

I wouldn't necessarily consider smoking a cigarette to be 'staying sober'. Sorry but whenever I smoke one, I get dizzy, my knees get weak, I can't think clearly and I usually end up vomiting if I try to walk. I smoked a bit for a while but when I tried to substitute my weed usage with cigarettes I realized that cigarettes were much worse. I don't think weed can change the course of your actions - alcohol alters your mind state so much that you can black out and not know what's going on and make bad decision but weed isn't like that. Whenever I smoke, or when my friends smoke, we are all level headed and can think clearly. We might look like a bunch of school girls because of all the laughing but we are still able to make rational decisions. The idea that weed alters your ability to make choices or right actions is a complete myth in my opinion.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is a question that's been asked for many years. The fact that marijuana can be used for medicine separates it from cigarettes. It's been a mystery to many why something that can damage your lungs and cause cancer is legal, and something that can heal you is just now becoming legal in some places. I think it may have a lot to do with money and what's taxable.
  3. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I never smoked cigarettes in my life. I am allergic to nicotine and I smoke pure weed blunts. Not so much lately but when I do I never mix with tobacco. If I need to mix with something I usually use some herbal tea form bags. Mint is very nice as well as hibiscus. I Of course that I would vote for marijuana no questions asked. It even helped me to get my focus back while I was studding.
  4. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

You just don't get it. The comparison is meaningless. It doesn't matter. They are both harmful and both addictive. There are carcinogens and nasty chemicals involved in marijuana use as well, but that isn't the point. The whole "my drug abuse is better than your drug use" argument is a bunch of crap.
  5. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It is pretty clear at this point that smoking cigarettes is far more dangerous than marijuana. Marijuana has gotten a bad reputation pretty much entirely due to propaganda by anti-drug organizations. They have demonized to the point of making people think it will kill you when it hasn't directly killed a single human being ever.
  6. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

The legality is definitely a big part of it. Marijuana is certainly not as looked down upon now with all of the medical marijuana programs. You can walk into any convenience store and buy a pack of cigarettes.
  7. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I think people react that way to marijuana because it has a bad rep. It's illegal in most states and it's even called a gateway drug. Those two reasons are enough to make some people "shudder."

I am not advocating the use of marijuana but I think that compared to cigarettes, it is a much better choice. At least it has some medical use. I don't see any benefits from smoking cigarettes.
  8. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Great question. Actually, I think it all comes down to, like you said, social dogma... marijuana has become a cliche just like any other thing that's been discussed over and over for a great amount of time. The reality of things though, is harshly different than what society thinks: marijuana isn't that bad. I highlighted the "that" because, in essence, it's still bad since it causes laziness and has some side effects over the human brain, but compared to cocaine and all the other high-risk drugs, it's heavenly. My fair opinion is that marijuana should be legalized only medicinally.
  9. I think that both are bad, but your better off with marijuana. Marijuana can calm you down, never caused a death, and overall makes you feel good. On the other hand, marijuana can cause the same diseases as cigarettes such as bronchitis, and other respiratory illnesses. However, smoking cigarettes is the biggest killer known to cause circulatory disease, or cardiovascular disease.
  10. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

There is, that's how come people can't smoke anywhere they want to. There has been a big witch hunt on smoking and the results are visible.
  11. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Cigarettes man... Cigarettes can cause cancer, diseases and practically slowly kill you. Marijuana is never as dangerous as that...
  12. juno

juno Community Champion

I think it is just the fact that pot is not legal in most places. To be honest, most people shudder about cigarettes in California as well, because of the laws in this state. Personally, I shudder more about cigs than weed.
  13. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I really don't think it has nothing to do with the health because people go hurt themselves with the fast food, alcohol and whatnot so it's definitely not that because they know it's unhealthy for them, theres obviously a lot of prejudices and taboos all around this but it's not gonna change unless the society opens its mind.
  14. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

That's because you're not used to smoke tobacco. If you you started to smoke daily, you'd get used to it. Now, weed can in fact change the course of your actions, of course you can "control" it, but it definitely has an impact, otherwise you wouldn't be high.
  15. Marijuana is always the better answer when it comes to smoking cigarettes. There's really no debate when it comes down to one's health condition.
  16. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I also agree to you, cigarettes are way more harmful for your body than marijuana, but you also have to take into consideration the amount we talk, you said that a daily cigarette, and then a weekly marijuana cigarette. We can't make a proper comparison by using different dosages. Marijuana can still be pretty harmful to a person, not specifically for the person's body as for it's brain, lot of people are known to have suffered delusions after consuming too much marijuana daily for more than a few weeks.