An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cigarettes are killing me

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by LadyMiles, Oct 22, 2014.

1. LadyMiles

LadyMiles Active Contributor

Now I really wonder why I can't ever find a half, let alone, a whole cigarette on the ground. :p Seriously though, you are being tested. I am rather impressed that you just keep it moving regardless of the desires. High five to that!!!!!

Single cigarettes, I remember them back in the day. They would definitely be a downfall for me as I would always know that I could get a single cigarette, no matter what, yeah not good.

I really do need to find something else to do when everyone else is hanging out in the garage. My first few days, weeks, maybe even months, I may need to stay clear of the garage because I know me and how hard it is to fight that temptation.

I am seriously developing a plan to quit. Every comment on here is assisting me in the development of this plan. When I am finally quit it is those whom have responded to this initial post that I will be thanking. :D;)
    stariie likes this.
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Active Contributor

Quit smoking is hard, I know it can be frustrating to try to stop smoking; I did it like 5 times now, and the last time I smoked was 6 months ago, now the only I can say to help people is: Reduce the amount of cigarettes everyday until you reach 1 cigarette per day, once you do that, wait at least 10 days smoking just 1 cigarette, after that, try to stop definitely, that way you probably avoid withdrawal symptoms; because the first time I quit smoking, the withdrawal symptoms almost got me killed, all because I started the recovery from one day to another, and that way it looks like your body can't resist that change and in result your sickness keeps getting worse, so that is why I recommend to decrease the amount to 1 until you feel comfortable, then you're ready to quit definitely, and once you made it, once you don't even want to smell the smoke of a cigarette keep away from it, and never let yourself to smoke it again, because every time you relapse with cigarettes, the addiction gets stronger to you, and it gets harder to start a new attempt to quit again.
    LadyMiles likes this.
  3. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Well have you tried patches in conjunction with vapor? I mean vapor with nicotine. This is what I do and it helps. I've struggled like you. I'll go three days on patches or maybe a week. Then I'll get vapor with the strongest nicotine content. Then I'll gradually reduce the strength of nicotine in the vapor, until it's just no nicotine vapor. Even while smoking vapor I can feel the difference in my body. I also you meditation and breathing techniques.
    LadyMiles likes this.
  4. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Aww!!well hurry up and quit girlfriend so I can get some of those thanks thrown my way.
    I love pats on the back:rolleyes::rolleyes::).

Yes girl, the single cigarette. My downfall many a days on the road to quitting. There was something so fabulous about always being able to go to the candy house almost any time of the day or night and be able to get 2 or 3 cigarettes. Getting a cigar or 2 to go with that;):eek::(:(.

I think that the reason that you never find cigarettes on the ground is because you have not quit yet, so the tempter does not need to tempt you. But I guarantee you, after you've quit for awhile again, you'll find yourself running into cigarettes on the ground, full cigarettes, right at your feet.

I'm kind of motivated to stay quit because my landlord doesn't like for people to smoke on his property, so I won't do it. Other people sometimes do, but I don't because I don't like the idea of trying to pull the wool over my landlord's eyes, so to speak.

So, I can't relax and sit at home and smoke. When I was smoking, I would go across the street and smoke, or get in my car and drive around and smoke. I decided it would be easier for me just to stop, because I don't like having to jump through so many hoops just for some nicotine.

You're definitely going to have to come up with a plan for yourself when everyone else is in your garage smoking. I don't envy you girlfriend, it's gonna be a fight:mad:, but you can do it. Do you workout? Do you scrapbook? Do you cook? Do you have netflix?
    LadyMiles likes this.
  5. LadyMiles

That really makes good sense, especially how you stated that relapsing results in a stronger addiction and it gets harder to quit each time. I really do believe this because when I had quit before I did so cold turkey and managed to stay quit for a couple of years. All it took was a couple of casual drinks at a Christmas party and I asked my mother-in-law for a cigarette...from that point on it seems as though it takes everything I have to even think about quitting. I am determined to find a way because I absolutely HATE smoking. I do appreciate you advice and have been trying to slow down.
  6. LadyMiles

The patches I tried back 16 years ago ended up making me so sick. I am not sure what it was about the patches but I was at work and got really sick, nausea and serious headache. Maybe I was using patches that were too strong? I am not sure but I will never forget the feeling as I ended up having to leave work because the symptoms were so bad. I wonder if since then patches have changed. I also tried vaping and did good for a bit and then ended up going right back to cigarettes, I am not even sure what it was that took me back to the cigarettes. It's depressing because I know I am better than that and can do anything I put my mind to. Cigarettes are one of the hardest habits, if not the hardest, I have even had to break. It is my goal to become completely smoke free for good. Thanks for the advice. :)
  7. LadyMiles

Trust me when I say I have other things I can do, I just end up choosing not to and running to get that cigarette. Sometimes I think it is a mental thing as I was speaking of in a previous post. My mother was very abusive and waking in the morning and smelling cigarette smoke was kind of a sign that she wasn't going to go ape wild on me or my siblings. I am seriously thinking that maybe, psychologically I need cigarettes to smooth over the everyday dramas in life. Kinda like when I smoke a cigarette I feel as though things are OK, like the cigarette gives me that feeling as though I am safe and don't have anything to worry about. Unfortunately I know the truth, but I really wonder if this may be one of the major reasons I am struggling so much in this goal of quitting.

I can't wait until I am a week quit...and best believe you will be getting those thanks as you have been a positive support along this journey of planning my forever quit. I will keep you updated. :) Thanks again for being so kind and supportive. :)
    stariie likes this.
  8. wlrahilly

wlrahilly Member

I understand what you are going through. I'm in the same boat myself. I can't stand how they smell. I know it's bad for me and I had two relatives die from it, yet I still smoke. I was able to quit for a good year without even craving them. My doctor had put me on Welbutrin, but unfortunately, the medication gave me panic attacks so I had to stop. Now I'm back to smoking.
    LadyMiles likes this.
  9. januz101

januz101 Member

I too started smoking due to peer pressure back in high school. Later on I started liking it and it became a habit. To cut the story short I became addicted to smoking and it became hard to quit afterwards. The only motivation I had at the time I decided to quit was my then pregnant wife. Since smoking is bad for her health I decided to stop smoking completely. It was hard at first, but family comes first.
    LadyMiles likes this.
  10. Be strong ! Have confidence that you will eventually be happy without the needs of Nicotine. It is all a mental game of habit and real Nicotine addiction. Once you slay the Nicotine addiction all that remains is pure habit. To conquer that all you need to do is remember the advantages it will bring. Not only will you be able to save some money, more importantly your personal health will improve as well. Good luck!
    LadyMiles likes this.
  11. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Well good luck I hope it works out for you. The patches do have side effects. I think they vary by person. I get depressed for a couple of days and if I don't take them off before close to bedtime, they do cause insomnia. Then if you happen to sleep with one on get ready for the craziest dreams you ever will have.
    LadyMiles likes this.
  12. stariie

I feel kind of angry after reading that your mom used to go ape wild on you or your siblings, and that the cigarette smoke was kind of like a sign that everything was going to be okay. Angry that you had to go through that. That makes me so sad girlfriend, I'm actually tearing up:(, now I'm actually crying:(:(.

I don't know why your comment is affecting me like this, maybe because you just sprung this on me out of the blue! I was thinking you had just a "regular" cigarette addiction, but now I think I see that it might be much deeper than that.

I can identify with you on this, although not in a super abusive-type of way. I remember on Sunday mornings, my parents used to go to church. When I got up on Sunday, if my mom and dad were dressed, I would feel relieved because that meant I got the house to myself.

They were going to leave and be gone to church for at least 3 hours. I could walk around and pretend like I lived on my own. I could walk around and be free of listening to my mother talk about what a bad person I was, and how much she didn't like something that I was or wasn't doing.

Sunday was my free day, and I loved it, had a good time. But... if on Sunday when I got up and my mom was walking around in her gown or bathrobe, my whole day would come crashing down:(.

It kind of concerns me that you are being so hard on yourself about these cigarettes. Nobody's perfect. We all have our shortcomings. Maybe your smoking is emotionally linked to your mom, or linked to your sense of feeling like all would be well, and that's okay. I wish I could give you a big hug:(.

You'll quit when you can, and when you are ready, take it easy on yourself a bit.
    LadyMiles likes this.
  13. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Cigarettes kill slowly the smoker and the ones around him, it's a really nasty habit and despite all the warning people keep smoking, it makes no sense at all really.
    LadyMiles likes this.
  14. stariie

Well, all addictions "make no sense." And all addictions kill people if they keep doing them, but people get "addicted" that's why they keep smoking, drinking, and drugging, despite all the warnings.
    LadyMiles likes this.
  15. LadyMiles

The doctor put you on that medicine to help you quit smoking? I was given a med back a few years ago but I am so against taking medicine that I didn't even try it. Being you stated it gave you panic attacks, it made me think about how happy I am I didn't try that medicine as I already suffer from panic attacks. Do you feel as though the medicine did help curb the cravings? How long after being off the medicine did you go back to smoking? Have you tried any other methods?
  16. LadyMiles

I started in the craziest way. Of course my parents were basically chain smokers so I was around it regularly. I remember at the age of 11 my mother threw cigarettes in the air and said, free cigarettes for all. Of course I picked one up and smoked it right in front of her. She didn't have any kind of problem with it. I wish she would have told me no or something. Then I was sent away at the age of 14 because my parents basically didn't want anything to do with me after I reported them for abuse. I was sent to an all girls group home and one of the papers my parents had to sign was if I was allowed to smoke or not. Of course they signed it stating I could. Again, there was an opportunity for them to help prevent me becoming addicted, but instead they enabled me. From that point on I smoked like I was an adult. I regret it so much but also regret that I had parents that couldn't have cared less about me smoking or my future.
    I remember trying to quit for things like my birthday or my kids birthdays and none of that worked for me either. Kind of depressing as I really cannot stand cigarettes. I am determined though to find a way to quit, and remain quit!! Congrats on your quit!!!
  17. LadyMiles

No need to be upset because of my past dear as I have already put that in the back of my mind. I do believe the feelings I got when smelling cigarette smoke when I was young do have an impact on my ability to quit. I will find a way to get over those feelings though as now that I believe that it may be a bit easier.

Your situation about Sundays is so familiar. Crazy how things in our past have such an impact on our future lives.

About being hard on myself, I don't mean to be but it really frustrates me because I really cannot stand cigarettes as I know what they are doing to me. I want to be around for a long time and I know by smoking I am losing days of my life. Eventually I will find the way that works for me and I will be quit for good. I am looking forward to that day!! :)
    stariie likes this.
  18. LadyMiles

I have to agree with you on this. ALL addictions make no sense. If I knew what it was that kept me smoking I would eliminate it. I wish there was a magical way to eliminate all addictions as I believe the world would be a much better place and individuals would be much happier and healthier. I know I would if I could magically eliminate my addiction. With the way technology and medicine keep advancing maybe that is something that could ring true in the future. Now I just need to quit smoking so I can be around long enough to witness it. :)
    stariie likes this.
  19. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

You must be very frustrated not being able to quit your smoking despite all your efforts. Smoking might have given you a sense of comfort which you are unaware of when smoking. Or, it is simply a habit that cannot be given up. I think you may try e-cigarettes to help you get rid of your smoking habits.
  20. Anonymous

Anonymous Active Contributor

I tried E-cigarettes, and to be honest they just made me more addicted, because even the low nicotine liquids, are still dangerous, because you smoke many puffs enough to feel the taste of the steam, and every puff is equivalent like 1/4 of a normal cigarette, so I'd like to warn people to be careful with this because they even caused me headaches.
    stariie and LadyMiles like this.