An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cigarettes are killing me

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by LadyMiles, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

That is a fact, that is why I don't understand all the taxes and legislation (or lack of it) about addicting substances, shouldn't we take further action on this topic? It's killing us after all!
  2. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

Thank you for responding to me Stariie. You are right they do compliment each other very well. My mouth has gotten so used to the taste of cigarettes when I have a drink and it is hard for me to quite smoking. Even sometimes when I am not drinking, I still crave cigarettes. I have a psychological problem with them because normally I would run to alcohol when I am angry or worried. Instead, I run to cigarettes to change my mood. I can get over this craving because I have in the past. I will be glad when that day comes when I am completely tired of cigarettes.
    stariie and LadyMiles like this.
  3. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

Thank you for responding to me LadyMiles. I would go a long period of time without smoking but eventually start again. Once I start smoking again, it is hard for me to stop. I do drink very often but not as much as I used to and when I do, I find myself looking for a cigarette. There were really no particular methods that I used in the past, I just grew tired of smoking cigarettes. I have tried the nicorette gum but not to help me quit smoking. One of my co workers had some and I decided to try it and it was very nasty. I guess I will have to become annoyed with the taste of cigarettes again in order for me to quit. Hopefully when I quit this time, it will be for good.
    LadyMiles likes this.
  4. LadyMiles

LadyMiles Active Contributor

Where did you get the statistic about every puff of an e-cigarette being equivalent to 1/4 of a normal cigarette? That is crazy!!! I actually tried the vapor route and it worked for a couple of months but I was right back to smoking cigarettes. When I seen that statistic that you listed I instantly thought to my self how switching back to cigarettes were a better choice, but then I thought about the difference as cigarettes contain much more than just nicotine. Even though, if one hit off of a vapor is really equivalent to 1/4 of a cigarette, I sure did take in a ot of nicotine when I was using the vapor. :(
  5. LadyMiles

LadyMiles Active Contributor

I am already there, I absolutely hate the taste, the smell, the cost, just everything about them. The only thing I can imagine that is holding me back from quitting is the fact that when I am down, bored, upset, or around others that smoke, I crave them. It was depressing the other day when my fiance had mentioned that I smelled like a stale cigarette, I was rather embarrassed. I normally hit the bathroom as soon as I come in from smoking as I already know I smell like them but this time I hadn't as I was helping with some wired connection for a gaming system. SO of course being I didn't hit the bathroom as was rather close to him while helping with the wires he smelled that horrible smell on me. Just gross. I wish simple things like that were enough to make me walk away from this habit for good. The struggle is real!!
    stariie likes this.
  6. sadiemarie

sadiemarie Member

My suggestion would to be to try to gradually cut back slowly. It isn't easy to quit all at once. For me I am addicted and have had the most success in cutting back. You could try to cut back small maybe one cigarette per week or something like that. I will have two packs. A full one and an empty one. I will fill the empty pack with the amount that I allow myself to smoke per day. For example I was at 20 when I first started next week I would only have 19 in a pack and so on and so forth.
  7. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Well, the fact is that even with taxes or legislation, people are still going to do what they want to do. The government can't make people stop smoking or drugging, only cutting off the supply completely can do that.
  8. stariie

Yes girlfriend, the struggle is real. Even with all of this "talking" that you and I have done on this subject, I smoked a couple of cigarettes the other day, after having not smoked in months. I only smoked two of my friends cigarettes, but I would have totally smoked more had she not had to go home, and get on the freeway to beat the rush hour traffic.

I always have to take a shower after I smoke, and most of the time I immediately take the clothes I've smoked in and go put them in the washing machine if I have quarters and laundry detergent handy. Smoking is a grind. Those cigarettes make you work.
  9. stariie

Cigarettes are just one of those things that it is better if you never start, than to try to stop once you have started, especially if you like to smoke. Smoking is something that has appealed to me ever since I started doing it. I had not smoked in months when I started posting on this thread, but I was just telling LadyMiles that I smoked two cigarettes just the other day.

When I want to chill, I drink wine, not so much alcohol. Alcohol has never had the pull on me that smoking has. It's a challenge, but that's life.
  10. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

My wife has tried Vaping, not the ones from cig stores, but from a vapor store with people that can offer suggestions. She has reduced her nicotine level to less than half of what she had when she smoked. Plus she feel better and has saved a ton of money.
  11. Peninha

That's what I mean, but taxing drugs isn't making the government responsible for the people that consume? Shouldn't the government try to stop it instead of taxing?
  12. Strykstar

Strykstar Active Contributor

My parents, but especially my father was a very addicted smoker, he was smoking at least 2 packs a day, sometimes 3.
    He has started getting better now that he has switched to vaping, he still smokes a few cigarettes every day, but at least he has cut down drastically, maybe 3 or 4 per day now.
    That seems to be a solution that works for some people, you might not quit completely, but simply dialing it down to more reasonable levels.
  13. Martisa

Martisa Member

When gum and patches don't work try something creative. Make it a family affair, try running or doing something physically engaging when you get cravings, try hypnosis! Sometimes we gotta reach a little deeper and get creative!
  14. stariie

The government could try to stop drugs and cigarettes by making sure that no one has access to them, but that is a lot of work, and would take a lot of money and a lot manpower. The government is only going to invest so much, so far it has not been enough.
  15. Peninha

How would the government do that stariie, making taxes so high that it would make it impossible to produce and sell? That's a way, why no, but they are not doing it. ;)
  16. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

Maybe you could think of it not as 'quitting smoking' but more as 'doing something else that takes too much concentration to allow you to "smoke" as well.'

Another option (though it may seem more-expensive ... although you might be saving yourself some medical-expenses later) is the e-cigarette---just as much nicotene without the cancer-feeding elements.
  17. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Just try to form a new habit it order to please you when you are in those situations listed above. For example find a tea that you love, and start drinking it every time you need a cigarette, you'll drink a lot of it in the beginning, but after 5-10 days you should be able to reduce it more and more until the point where you drink it only as a pleasure not a substituent.
  18. stariie

It's all about the money. Making taxes high is one way to go about things, but government could never make the taxes so high that cigarette companies would go out of business. People "love" to smoke.
    No matter how high the taxes, those companies are still going to make money, and that's what it's all about.

Companies don't make cigarettes because cigarettes are good for people, cigarettes are made strictly for money. Shutting tobacco companies down (taking away their money), and fully stopping drug sales would be like trying to take meat from a starving lion.
  19. stariie

I've seen e-cigarettes, but I didn't know that they contained any nicotine, I thought they just contained "flavors".
    I've never tried one, but I think that after smoking an e-cigarette, I'd want a real one.
  20. Peninha

That's right, it's a business, but we need to draw a line, it's a business that is killing people so should it be legal? Surely not, it's a scandal, just another one.