An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cigarettes are killing me

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by LadyMiles, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

My father smoked for for many , many years. he tried many times to quit using gum, the patch and a laser treatment.
    with no long term success. he spoke to his doctor and was prescribed Chantax , a quit smoking aide and so far has not smoked in a little over a year.
  2. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Yes, we need to draw the line, but the people who are in charge haven't drawn the line, so the madness continues. Cigarettes are big business, there would be rioting in the streets if cigarettes were taken out of stores. It is very strange that cigarettes are legal. I heard that years ago, doctors use to prescribe smoking as a cure to some illnesses.
  3. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I've seen Chantix on a few commercials, and I think that it's good that it works for some people. I think the main thing is of course, that a person has to really want to quit, and then something will probably work for them to help them stop .
    Teresa likes this.
  4. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

You should try e-cigarettes again. They are really the only option that can satisfy both the nicotine craving and the replication of the physical action of smoking. I tried to quit multiple times using the patch, nicorette, cold turkey and then eventually a vaporizer. It took me two tries with the vaporizer but it finally stuck. If you can make it a few days without a cigarette they will start to taste awful and it will be easier to quit.
  5. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Yeah, the same with guns, the same with the health and food industry and we could go on and on and on, so we need to watch out for ourselves, no one else will.
    Zyni likes this.
  6. ImMrCuriosity

ImMrCuriosity Member

It's all about willpower. As soon as you actually want to quit smoking, then you will. It's very hard though I must say. As a drug that it is, the power of addiction is unbelievable. There are many methods to help people on the issue of kicking out an addiction like tobacco. Have you tried to buy patches? Or chewing gums? It may help you a bit to have your dose of nicotine, instead of smoking cigarettes.
  7. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

So true, willpower and motivation. I was sick when I quit smoking so that was the best motivation, would I be able to quite if I was healthy?
  8. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

You are right. I wish that I had never started smoking cigarettes because it is hard for me to stop. Like I mentioned before, I would go periods without smoking but I always start again. I started smoking when I was 18 and then I quit for awhile. I started smoking heavily again when I turned 19 and went off to college. This was mainly because I was a little nervous being on my own. I also started drinking a lot more which made me smoke more as well. Drinking and smoking has been a great combination to me since I was very young. I plan to quit smoking for my New Year's resolution. I hope I can stick to it.
  9. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Best of luck, XiaoDre. I hope you are able to stick with it. Smoking cigarettes has been the hardest thing for me to quit in my life. I did quit, but I started again. And again. I've had less trouble giving up other things that are addictive.

I'm not sure if it's the nicotine or the habit that is the biggest issue for me at this point, but I think a lot of it is habit. I know that's what I changed before in order to quit. I wish I never would have started again.
  10. Charli

Charli Community Champion

They only put those images in to appease the lobby groups and to show that they are "trying" something but ultimately they know how to hook people and they do not care one bit about getting people off their products. I don't hold it against them though since they are only doing what's natural and it will and should always be up to the public to decide whether or not they will support particular products or brands.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right, it is business as usual more than thinking of the health of the people for the, Also right that consumers should be responsible for themselves especially if they are aware of the bad effects of the certain products or items in the market.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes and a really effective one. A friend of mine she smoked I think several packs a day. She did hot baths with apple cider vinegar. I think just dump a whole bottle in the tub with you and sweat it out. She said it removed the cravings. Look it up there seems to be a lot of information about how it really works. You can do it.
  13. My best advice is to come up with a plan and gradually cut back. It's easy to fall into an all or nothing mindset but the fact is you did not become addicted overnight and it will take time to rewire your brain and body. Yes, cold turkey can work but generally does not. Identifying your triggers (I crave them occasionally still after big meals and if I have alcoholic beverages) can be quite useful as well. I would encourage you to perhaps start meditating for a few minutes every day as a way to center yourself and gain perspective and also to begin an exercise regimen. E-cigarettes were what helped me quit once and for all after 10 years of a pack a day habit. I am now 11 months nicotine free.
  14. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I think that changing up the habit is the best way to start kicking the habit. I am waiting for my quit supplies to arrive to me so I have been focusing right now when I smoke. After dinner is the big one for me, so last night I just waited an hour before I went outside. I also decided not to go get a pack and so I ran out and did not have a morning one until I got to work. You have to get out of the physical habit as well as kicking the cravings.